The Tang Tank / Tanginator - 265g Build Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tank is inside & at its final resting spot.

i don't think i will dab into the plumbing today ... hopefully tomorrow night.

PICT0617.JPG

PICT0616.JPG

concrete

concrete

Have you ever used concrete in a fish tank before? There are many issues to consider

Alkalinity (regular portland cement vs. high alkalinity cement)
Cure time, ie change in water chemistry as concrete cures
silica sand versus calcium/aragonite sand, and how that will relate to water quality

Looks great, but you may have to let it sit and run water for a while for the concrete to cure and the water parameters to stabilize.

Yes, i am aware of the curing time with the concrete rock/backing ... the biggest drawback to it.

Most people are able to cure rocks in about 4-6 weeks with daily water changes, some as fast as 3 weeks with 3x daily water changes for the curing bins.

I have been toying witht eh idea of throwing the rocks in the river/canal behind my parents house ... major drawback would be the contamination of the rocks with river water polutants.
but i'm wondering if some bleach & vinegar water wouldn't take care off that once the rock is cured?

It seems most, if not everybody uses portland cement - should a different kind be considered?

cure time addressed in post above.

aragonite sand i would use ... same sand i use for my sandbed ... ?

Please feel free to correct me, or voice your concerns/opinions in this matter ... i'm always open for suggestions, or corrections.

not sure if i like the cement background idea.... but i guess its all in the eye of the beholder. If you don't want to clean the back glass just let coraline grow over it and mount frags to the wall itself anyways, you could let the back cover in zoos, xenias, mushrooms, starpolyps, pretty much anything and not have to worry about messing with concrete... who knows just an idea

it is just another excuse to delay his tank. but that could work to my advantage!:lol:

edit: I never clean my back glass.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9400188#post9400188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
it is just another excuse to delay his tank.

Kiss my a$$ girlfriend ;-)

i'd start the tank anyway ... i can just drop the back in once its cured & ready .... few weeks, 2 months down the road.

--mp

my house water still has the sulfur smell ... another day or two, and the 330g tank outside should be aired out enough & not stink that bad anymore ... its because i had it emptied all the way to move the storage tank over the weekend.

I'm not diggin that concrete background either- but it could just be the pic that you posted, since that's the first one I've seen.

What about pond foam?

If you do go with concrete, You might want to look into marcite or diamondbrite. This is what they use for pools and it might work better in an aquarium (have to check ingredients though).
Diamondbrite would be the best choice out of the two though-
I can get that stuff at a reasonable price also if need be.

Concrete is nasty stuff though- Its not going to be easy.

ne way- Back to Gears of War :)

well since I made agreements to purchase all the corals I have of his in my tank, I can now hope that he finishes it soon! and make that a +3 on the concrete background! just make your tank like mine, and put so much live rock in there that you only see a real small part of the background.

no love for the one day liverock backing? that owuld be ~18 sqft of liverock surface a few months down the road ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back