The Tang Tank / Tanginator - 265g Build Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats the better route
I think you'll be satisfied with a nano stream or two thats all you'll need for flow. lookin good man, now scott will have to pipe down a notch ;)

Nope sorry I am here to critique! First question is what made you decide to use spa/flex? That looks like it was a pain to get it to go where you wanted, and also doesn't look as nice as I know you would have done in hard lines. Just wondered, I know in the end they both do the same. Or was it a case of you were thinking spaflex was easier to work with and bought it, then after you realized it was a PIA it was too late to switch back. I think your input might help others decide what material to use.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9463509#post9463509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
First question is what made you decide to use spa/flex? That looks like it was a pain to get it to go where you wanted, and also doesn't look as nice as I know you would have done in hard lines. Just wondered, I know in the end they both do the same. Or was it a case of you were thinking spaflex was easier to work with and bought it, then after you realized it was a PIA it was too late to switch back. I think your input might help others decide what material to use.

you just opened a can of worms!

its a little of all of the above.

1. 1.5" spaflex is a PITA to work with - a REAL PITA!

Yes, it would look ALOT better if i used regular PVC, i am considering cutting the spaflex & inserting 45* couplers at a few places to make it neater & tighter.

I also need to pickup a few brackets to attach the piping to the 2x4's on the stand.

I went with spaflex for the supposed ease of use, AND i wanted to minimize the flow hindering 90* couplers ...
I'm sure if my sump was about a foot further away from the wall, it would be easier to plumb as well.

I am sure others will be glad to read as I was under the impression that spa-flex was easier to bend then it seems.

it is easy to bend ... if you stick with 1/2", 3/4" & 1" .... but 1.5" takes a very large radius to make a turn - but then again ... that is what keeps your flow going.

gag .. what a sh!tty night.

got the last drain plumbed up, (3 out fo 4 - the 4th will be capped off for now)

then decided to WATER test, but ended up LEAK testing ... both of the bulkheads on the sump leaked ... the ond where the old pump was - now a drain for the sump to do water changes, and of course the new 2" bulkhead.

i tried as hard as i could to get the 2" bulkhead off - tried 16" channel locks, adjustable oil filter thingy, different wrenches, by hand ... nothing worked - ended up destroying that bulkhead with the dremel to get it off. :-(

I had the WET side of the bulkhead on the outside, and the usually dry side, the long side ont he inside to save some room outside. I placed the rubber gromet on the wet side (nut) and of course thats what i shouldn't have done.

luckily i had a second 2" ... placed it, tightened it - water tested and it worked - this time i did it the proper way & lost about 1" on the outside.

then while cleaning up in the garage, my cell phone fell into one of my water containers .... soaked the phone. i guess tomorrow we'll see if it still works. :-(

tomorrow i'll re-plum the pump byt he sump, and then leak test the tank & drains ... wish i'd have gotten further tonight.... i wanted to start filling it tonight.

i did set the calcium reactor, CO2 bottle & regulator up tonight, and mounted the RO/DI system back up on the wall.
If we have no leaks tomorrow, or other incidents - i'll get the ATO, AC3 controller & DC8 power strips setup tomorrow night as well.

i just remembered that my dart was leaking last night as well ... from the seals on the housing. :-( ... i'll take it apart tonight & see if the o-ring is placed right. maybe the nuts/screws holding the housing together were just not tight - i didn't check it before hooking it up. (probably should've)

Fixed the dart - the housing was just not screwed tight.

filled the tank with water, pump is currently running ... been running for the past 35-45 minutes now ... runs well.

The dart is incredible quiet - MUCH quieter than the little giant 4-mdqx-sc that i on the 150g. also much cooler running. the little giant was hot to the touch - the dart is not ...

I def. need the 4th drain hooked up - just trying to figure out how to do it - i think i might put a 'wye' on the drain pipe below, and plit it off to feed the fuge, and the rest into the sump.

scott must be sleeping ... otherwise i'm sure he'd have screamed for pictures.

filling her up with regular RO water for testing
PICT0640.JPG

lindsey is tired of standing & holding the damn hose
PICT0643.JPG

i was given the hose holding duty .. almost there ... only 10 more minutes.
PICT0644.JPG

HUNGRY!
PICT0645.JPG

let it sit for a few minutes, just to see if the bulkheads leaked ... everything seemed fine!

Pump is running - Left overflow box w/ dual drains to support the flow of the Sequence Dart

PICT0650.JPG

right overflow - water level is higher - only 1 of the 2 drains are open.
PICT0651.JPG

3 drains in the sump
PICT0654_001.JPG

PICT0652.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back