Tomini Tang Compatibility

nterry

Hi,

I just picked up a Tomini tang and I am wondering what else I might be able to put with it. It's in QT right now, but it will go into a 120. I was wondering if I could add a yellow tang, hepatus tang and/or Achilles tang.

Would any of these be compatable? If so, in what order should I add them?

Thanks,

nterry

Some may frown upon this but I had a (hepatus) blue tang, a yellow and a purple tang all with a Tomini tang in a 120g and they all got along very well.

I would add them all at the same time at night.

These threads always make me cringe, its most certainly going to cause arguments!
Under no circumstances should an achilles or a blue tang be housed in a 120g it is cruel and not in the best interest of the fish, and under no circumstances should 4, 3, or probably even 2 tangs be housed in a 120g. You will see aggression, period. It may not be straight away, but it will happen. A yellow tang should be fine, and a tomini tang should be fine. Together is a hit or miss senario.

Im not trying to be abrupt just stating facts that after 9 years in the hobby, you most probably allready know.

If I've learned nothing else in 9 years it's been that if you ask 5 aquarium buffs a question, you'll get at least 6 answers :)

Mostly, I am curious about the Tomini tang part of the equation. I've kept yellows and for what it's worth, Scott Michael says that both Achilles and Hippo tangs need 100+ gallons. but Tomini tang's aren't in any of my books. Only place I found a reference was wetwebmedia, and they seem to indicate they'll be great for my tank since it's one of those tanks with a "not too fastidiously clean environment", where a Tomini tang might do OK.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience. I was leaning toward a yellow with the Tomini, but figured I'd ask about the others.

My tomini is verry aggressive towards any other tang i put in my 180 gal. If i were you i would put tangs in at the same time. Good luck.

My Tomini is currently housed with a Red Sea Purple Tang, a "Silver Foxface" Rabbitfish, two "Engineer Gobies" and a "Snowflake" Blenny in a 180 reef. It plays tag with the RSPT, and seems to enjoy chasing the Blenny around. Nice fish, great mature colors. Had it a few years now, and it is a pretty good (and lively!) tank mate for this crew in my experience.
Cheers,
Ray

short answer: Yellow = yes, Achilles tang = no, Hippo = no

Depends on how aggressive your Tomini turns out to be. Rgulrich is describing an aggressive Tomini tang, but this is the first that I've heard of that. I've never had a Tomini, but everything that I've READ says that they're less aggressive than most other tangs. I'd be concerned with an Achilles tang in there, they are very aggressive, and will probably terrorize other tangs in a 120 gal. I've had yellow tangs and they get aggressive, as well. if you get a Yelllow, I'd suggest a little one. they're tough, and will take any initial beating up that would happen in the first day or two, but since they're a different genus, they'll (Tomini and Yellow) would probably be fine.
The Hippo tang - they're just too delicate for me. Especially when he'd be placed in a 120 with another tang. I've had hippo's in my 120 before and they always contract ich and die. I wouldn't want to imagine how much another tang with a Hippo would stress him out. when other tangs would get ich in my tank, they usually recover. I've never had any Hepatus tangs survive ich.
FYI: I have 3 tangs in my 120 currently. I'm not against housing multiple tangs AKA Tang Police.

Edit: Bosco described an aggressive Tomini, not Rgulrich.

I have a Tomini tang in a 180gal tank with a Yellow Tang, Hippo Blue Tang, and Powder Blue Tang. You should be fine with a Tomini and Blue tang in your 120. Not sure about the Achilles.

I too have a tomini and he is a bossy/mean fish. Does not like any new additions to the tank. He picked on the corris wrasse and finally gave up after a week of picking on him. Realizing the wrasse was still going to do what he wanted. Now they get along, but he still hates the LMB

This is why it is good to ask questions, becuase the little information I saw on the web was that Tomini's are less aggressive. I think I'll shy away from the hippo tang, because I have heard they are somewhat touchy). On the other hand, I'll probably to find a yellow tang this week and add them both. The nice thing is that I can easily rearrange the QT and add the yellow. If WWIII breaks out, I won't have to tear the whole 120 apart to fix things.

Thanks!

i have a small one in my 90, nice fish, seems to be keeping my rocks algae free...only fish i see him chase is my 1 spot blenny; im guessing because he doesnt want to share any algae with the blenny...other than that he seems to not bother anyone, but i can see it becoming the tank boss until my percs are bigger and more mature..

I had a Tomini in my 62"x 22" tank. He was housed with one other tang, an Acanthurus nigrofuscus. Both tangs were very passive with each other and with other fish (a Sargassum trigger, a variety of wrasses, and blennies). Model citizens in my experience. In fact, before this thread, I have never read of a Tomini being aggressive.

I now have a 300g 8' tank. It will have another Tomini. :)

If the other tangs are already in the tank and you are newly introducing a tomini, I would say he has a slim chance of making it. If you introduce them all at the same time then there is a change but like others have said 120 is pretty small for all those tangs.

Brutal Tomini

Brutal Tomini

I have a Tomini in a 125 reef that killed a coral beauty in 24 hours and I cannot find a lemon peel I put in. Any suggestions for compatible fish would be helpful.

Rule of thumb is take however many tangs you want, divide by two, subtract one to three depending on your tendancy to over do things, and that gets you in the ballpark of how many you can add.

If you do it, i'd do the yellow and would add them at the same time. Odds are pretty good.

Rule of thumb is take however many tangs you want, divide by two, subtract one to three depending on your tendancy to over do things, and that gets you in the ballpark of how many you can add.

If you do it, i'd do the yellow and would add them at the same time. Odds are pretty good.

I have a tomini tang (almost 3 inches), regal tang (5 inches), yellow tang (3 inches), chocolate tang (3 inches) all in a 350 DT, I transferred them out of a 93 cube about 2 and a half years ago, think I got this done just in time.
Haven't seen any aggression from the tangs, my Emporor angel however, is a big bully and a pig.

I have a tomini tang (almost 3 inches), regal tang (5 inches), yellow tang (3 inches), chocolate tang (3 inches) all in a 350 DT, I transferred them out of a 93 cube about 2 and a half years ago, think I got this done just in time.
Haven't seen any aggression from the tangs, my Emporor angel however, is a big bully and a pig.

Oddly, I have a tomini and a chevron that were added at different times and they're inseparable buddies along with a yellow tang that was added last. When my purple was with my tomini he constantly chased the poor guy. I've also had Acanthurus tangs harass Ctenochaetus tangs. My suggestion would be the yellow or a sailfin, but the sailfin will need a bigger tank 2-3 from now.

You're not getting it, the tomini tang kills angels not other tangs. What fish are compatible?

And you're saying if I want to add one tang, divide it by two, etc....huh?

Last edited:
I have a small Tomini in my 125. I added a flame angel a week ago. The Tomini did go after the angel immediately. I turned the lights off and all was fine the next day. And I haven't observed any problems. My Tomini is pretty small though, 2".

Back