UV sterilizers effective?

fscmocsaj

Are UV sterilizers effective against parasites? If so what wattage would I need to get for a 50B?

Any success stories or horror stories?

No, I've read that they only kill bacteria, so if your tank has ICH or another type of parasite, then it won't help.

UV Sterilizers will kill parasites such as ICH. The problem is that Ich and other large (comparatively) organisms are much more resistant to UV radiation, so it requires a comparatively stronger UV to kill them. However, a standard UV will kill bacteria, algae, and many other organisms. Look for dosage of about 30,000 millisieverts/square cm to kill algae, and about 10x that for ich.

As long as you set the water flow through a UV sterilizer properly, it absolutely WILL kill/neutralize parasites. The problem is it only does that to the parasites that flow through the unit .... getting 100% of the parasites through the UV is a practical impossibility. So, a UV unit can be very helpful in reducing parasite pressure and slowing the spread of disease, but it is not a cure for an infected tank!

I use a UV from emperor aquatics, rated for i believe 240 gallons, on a 90 gallon tank.... its really helped in making the water crystal clear, algae free, and overall my fish and corals seem a lot more happy and active.... been using it for about 6 months now

It depends on the setup but they will not kill ich in your tank. It can reduce floating stuff but...

I have two, I find them more useful for keeping my junk equipment box weighted down.

Also I doubt that will do much of anything. Very few of them on the market do anything. If I were to get one again it would probably be an emperor.

what uv's will kill is a function of how much radiation they emit to what thickness of water layer at 'x' flow rate (exposure time). they can be set (by selecting various wattages,flow through rates, sizes) to kill only free floating algae, or any living thing that passes through them. because of this, the best they can do for parasites is slow down the transmission speed/rate between individual animals in the system. they unequivocally CANNOT eliminate anything that isn't truly only found in the water column throughout its life cycle (and even then, takes quite awhile to 'eliminate' anything, simply due to recirculation/re-passing of 'cleaned' w/'dirty' water-one reason why it's important to place the uv in such a way that it's output is as far away as possible from its input ;)

I looked up some emperor sterilizers. Are there any effective ones that aren't a million dollars? lol. I researched them and did the math I need a 13-15watt bulb with a flow of 150-250gph.

Has anyone used UV to slow the spread of bubble algae and or blue clove polyps?

I'm certain that BCPs spread by sexual means so it seems logical that UV could be an asset after physical removal. The bubble algae spread via spores I assume. Anyone out there use UV to slow the growth of these pests?

I looked up some emperor sterilizers. Are there any effective ones that aren't a million dollars? lol. I researched them and did the math I need a 13-15watt bulb with a flow of 150-250gph.

Other brands are fine! UV sterilizer just isn't all that complicated. Set the right water flow, make sure to replace the bulb according to recommended frequency and keep the quartz sleeve clear of schmutz and calcium buildup. Then it will do what is was designed to do, kill things that move past the bulb.

I've found them useless in a 5000 gallon pond: plus 2 of them caught fire due to water incursion into where it shouldn't have been, both times luckily while I was in the vicinity, or it would have destroyed the skimmer. The others simply didn't work.

Back