Wall damage behind aquarium? How to prevent?

I've had similar issues with my tanks and moisture damage to the wall. You should be able to hit it with several coats of Kilz and then paint over. You should also Kilz and paint the entire wall and not just the damaged area. Sometimes it takes 3-4 coats but eventually the water damage will not show. As others have mentioned you need make sure you let the wall completely dry first.

The shield is good. Likewise you could use a matching shade of outdoor paint, which holds up better against moisture. Matte-finish indoor paint is the most vulnerable to water.

Be careful with mold resistance paint I read in the Coral Magazine where one of the guys with a huge tank used the wrong paint and the fumes leached into the water and started killing the corals.

Ron Reefman I second his comment I have a 120 tank 4 inches from the wall No damage, I have a 33 gallon tank 4 inches form the wall with a overflow box, I got a lot of damage the moisture got underneath the tape and the drywall is crumbling.

I'm contemplating the issue, but need it to coordinate nicely with the rest of a new architectural interior.

Mildew resistant paint however contains a fungicide/mildewcide chemical. Do you really want that anywhere near your fish tank?

And I'm not sure that a sheet of plexiglass stuck on the wall would necessarily be the most attractive option either, unless finished and detailed well.

It might look reasonable if I tiled it, and used large polished tiles with minimal groutlines, or I could install a large coloured glass backpanel as well.

Another option would be Polished Plaster, which is also known as Venetian Plaster. Some of my guys have recently used that while doing some high-end bathrooms, and used it within the shower room/wetrooms as well even.

You can buy plastic decorative panels as well which look very good, such as those made by Trespa. http://www.trespa.com/

Otherwise, maybe I should just look at buying some extra kitchen doorfronts to match what I'll use on my stand, and attach those to the back wall to create a surround around the tank, with the joints sealed with silicone.

Back