Damaged Colorado Sunburst

farfromsea

Hello all

Got a deal on a Colorado sunburst. ($10 USD).

It is a little thing and rather damaged looking. Missing tentacles but it was holding on to the cup in the store rather firmly.

20230828_192644.jpg

Plan is to compare parameters with store water and the bag and then drip acclimate.

Any suggestions for what I can do to attempt to rehab it? I have a Radion G6 X15. If it lives I will move it to its own tank but for now was going to keep it in an anenome box (going to use a plastic cup for now)

What happened to it? IMO, BTAs are very hardy anemones.
I'm guessing chopped in a wave maker? It was $10. They wanted to sell it for $700 yesterday so I was happy to take it for $10.

The store water is pretty garbage. 5.4 dkH and I'm at 9.9 trying to raise it this week. A bit nervous to dose with this fragile thing in here now

First, if it lives, great score. Though I can’t see too much, it appears to have a mostly undamaged foot so that’s good. I’d put it in a acclimation box if possible so it’s not bothered by anyone but I would bet it’ll pull through with proper care. I’d also maybe try to get some Cipro on hand just in case

First, if it lives, great score. Though I can’t see too much, it appears to have a mostly undamaged foot so that’s good. I’d put it in a acclimation box if possible so it’s not bothered by anyone but I would bet it’ll pull through with proper care. I’d also maybe try to get some Cipro on hand just in case
Thanks I will look around see if I can find a good price on cipro. I googled and see that infection looks like splotches on a sore throat; seems like there is no infection right now. My concern is that is held tightly to the container at the store and currently is mostly flat and mouth-down in my tank. I tried to flip it over but it didn't stay. The foot seems undamaged but isn't holding to the cup firmly. Lights weren't on when I left this AM but here is a picture
20230829_061953.jpg

I’d still say it has a shot. It looks like it may have attached its foot to the cup? Id just leave it be and observe it.

I’d still say it has a shot. It looks like it may have attached its foot to the cup? Id just leave it be and observe it.
Thanks everyone. I am hopeful that it will be okay. It was a low-cost risk but a dead anenome is not the ammonia spike I'm wanting. Should I hold off on increasing my alk for now? I was dosing because of an unbalanced alk-calcium ratio (alk ~8 dkh and calcium ~close to 600) but the store water that the anenome was in had (alk ~5 dkh calcium ~380...I tested two store samples).

I'm not sure if continuing to bring my alk up to my goal would be bad for it. My current alk is 9.6 dkh calcium 530 and I was thinking bringing it to 10 or 10.5 could help my coral out...

But I can hold off if adjustments to alk and therefore pH would induce stress on an already stressed critter.

Thanks everyone. I am hopeful that it will be okay. It was a low-cost risk but a dead anenome is not the ammonia spike I'm wanting. Should I hold off on increasing my alk for now? I was dosing because of an unbalanced alk-calcium ratio (alk ~8 dkh and calcium ~close to 600) but the store water that the anenome was in had (alk ~5 dkh calcium ~380...I tested two store samples).

I'm not sure if continuing to bring my alk up to my goal would be bad for it. My current alk is 9.6 dkh calcium 530 and I was thinking bringing it to 10 or 10.5 could help my coral out...

But I can hold off if adjustments to alk and therefore pH would induce stress on an already stressed critter.
As long as you bring the alk up slowly you should be okay, IMO.

As long as you bring the alk up slowly you should be okay, IMO.
Here you go.

Thanks!! So my hospital tank could potentially be this 1 gallon tank I have but most dosing for the cipro seems based on a 10 gallon tank. Do you think I could scale the dose down? So 25 milligrams in 1 gallon instead of 250 mg? I'm starting to think I absolutely should dose cipro because of the mouth...unless it looks more upright when I get home?

I'm only not sure how to disinfect the tank after the 100% water change. Vinegar? Alcohol solution? Bleach seems bad lol unless I can let it evaporate/air dry 24H between but not a possibility.

Get a bottle of Chlorine remover like:

Get a bottle of Chlorine remover like:
I do have Prime! Don't feel comfortable reefing without it lol. Looks like 5x the traditional dose of prime will break down bleach although that still makes me nervous even though chemistry would say it is okay

The cipro arrives tomorrow so hopefully I can show a happier anemone this weekend. Today it is sad like an empty banana peel. It always hangs upside down. My PAR may not be enough for it. I believe it is getting about 100-120 right there but the hospital tank will have a higher intensity and an anenome box to keep it near the light. I have a PAR meter to check.
20230830_184626.jpg

The cipro arrives tomorrow so hopefully I can show a happier anemone this weekend. Today it is sad like an empty banana peel. It always hangs upside down. My PAR may not be enough for it. I believe it is getting about 100-120 right there but the hospital tank will have a higher intensity and an anenome box to keep it near the light. I have a PAR meter to check.
View attachment 32390629
Is it getting any flow? Maybe lay that cup on it's side.

Thanks I will try to adjust it. The cup kept floating away into the wavemaker so I wedged it. The anenome box would be better. Gets here tomorrow

Back