Wall damage behind aquarium? How to prevent?

lotusstar

Hey all.
Recently tore down my 90 gallon in our living room for a remodel and to plan my upgrade to 150 gallons. I noticed damage to the wall behind the aquarium that I can only attribute to salt or moisture from the tank? The wall didn't have holes or anything like that but seemed to have moisture on the wall. When I primers and painted the walls the moisture spots bled through a little. After several coats of paint I managed to cover some of it, but still some remained. We fortunately planned a shelf in the spot so it mostly covers the area that bled through.

I'm wondering how to avoid this happening with the next tank? I worry about when we try to sell the house having these unsightly blemishes on the wall. Only thing I can think of is to replace the section of drywall in the living room. Is there something I can do to prevent this? Has anyone else experienced what I'm talking about here?

Thanks

move your tank off the wall further. i always have a foot offset, just in case i need to squeeze my fat arse back there to do something.

Ouch not the answer I was hoping for. I have an allowed 28 inches my new tank can project from the wall. A foot from the wall would only leave me with a tank width of 16 inches. My plan was for 24inch width with 4 inches to the wall. 4 was where my last tank was. Might have to do a major rethink of my tank. Any other advice or is distance about it?

Moisture resistant drywall?

I wonder of the splash guards placed behind stoves would help any?

Styrofoam sheet

Paint it same colour as your wall and secure it with a little double sided adhesive tape, top and bottom.

Cheap as......:lol2:

+1 for starboard ( or similar equivalent)

I've used different panels (I think it was vinyl) from lowes to protect wall from moisture/ splatters... Though it was for my potter's wheel.

Plus too is its easy to wipe off to clean.

To cover stains use Kilz Enamel Paint(No Fume). I have had three tanks on the same wall for 25 years and no stains from my aquariums, the way to do this is to have a back on your stand with 2 - 4 1/2" holes down low with intake fans and 4 holes up high for exhaust and cords.

Kilz is the way to go. It will cover any staining you may have without a doubt. It will also help protect in the future so no bleeding occurs.

-Steve

Have never had any issues for three decades of tanks near walls. There's far more moisture in your bath or kitchen than behind a tank -- if you run it properly. Kitchen and bath paint should be all you need.

Jeff

get clear acrylic or plastic sheet from home depot i think they sell it in 4 foot long sheets

what happens if moisture gets behind the sheet? then you have trapped moisture that will turn to mold (i think). I tried to use a vapor barrier on my inwall tank near the sump and it ruined the wall very quickly.

If it were me i would use moisture/mold resistant paint (sell it at any hardware store) and use a fan to keep the air moving to avoid moisture build up. It doesnt have to be a floor fan but even just a 4" computer fan off the back of the stand.

Have never had any issues for three decades of tanks near walls. There's far more moisture in your bath or kitchen than behind a tank -- if you run it properly. Kitchen and bath paint should be all you need.

Jeff

not everyone has the same situation as you. some have high hummidity environments...others have smaller rooms. It has nothing to do with running it properly, more with dealing with the different environments we put our tanks in. I could put a tank in my living room and have 0 moisture problems but go upstiars and put one in the office and have issues due to room temp and room size.

not everyone has the same situation as you. some have high hummidity environments...others have smaller rooms. It has nothing to do with running it properly, more with dealing with the different environments we put our tanks in. I could put a tank in my living room and have 0 moisture problems but go upstiars and put one in the office and have issues due to room temp and room size.

That's not necessarily true either! I live in SW Florida and 6+ months of the year it's REALLY humid here, and we leave our house open much of the time. High humidity isn't necessarily the problem. If you set up your tank properly (which may involve the need for a fan) humidity isn't always the problem. If you have any bubbling at the water surface from return lines, especially when pumps get turned off and on for water changes or power failures. Popping bubbles can get water on the wall and become an issue. Also, if you have a powerhead or return nozzle that is causing waves at the surface, there is potential for issues. And even when the water evaporates away, the salt remains and works on the paint and drywall.

Dry your wall really well, then use a Kilz stain-blocking primer, and then paint with an eggshell or semi-gloss finish. I you are still concerned, you could put some wallpaper on the tank area of the wall and just remove it when selling the house or even use a waterproof paint.

Make sure to dry the wall completely before sealing it.

FRP = FIBERGLASS REINFORCED PANEL
Buy it @ Home Depot or Lowes even some panneling stores.
Comes in a 4x8 sheet & not expensive

This is how I protect the wall behind the tank: half inch insulation foam boards. The back of my tank is 6" from the wall.

006-11.jpg

009-9.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try a splash guard and something behind the wall. I hadn't thought about room size, the room is probably the smallest room I've had a tank in, so that might explain it. Never would have thought about that. Good sign I guess is my upgraded tank will be in a much larger room. Thanks everyone!

Back