What Color is Your Carpet? {pics please}

Anyone know what type of carpet is this one? picture was taken without the lights on so it shows its true color...

1beb920b.jpg

S. haddoni.

Have a feeling it will get a bit darker in time -- very slightly bleached, nothing I would worry about (( unless it starts to get lighter )).

S. haddoni.

Have a feeling it will get a bit darker in time -- very slightly bleached, nothing I would worry about (( unless it starts to get lighter )).

I'd be worried some. The 3 corals in the picture all aren't doing well and if they aren't, I'd doubt the nem is going to do well.

What are you guys feeding your carpets?

Mine aren't picky. They grab food every day when I feed the fish. I typically feed them shrimp or SW fish meat. I have fed them all kinds of stuff from, whole crayfish, crab legs, clam, squid, even fresh water fish.

Mine aren't picky. They grab food every day when I feed the fish. I typically feed them shrimp or SW fish meat. I have fed them all kinds of stuff from, whole crayfish, crab legs, clam, squid, even fresh water fish.

would it be ok to spray them krill or brine shrimp with a turkey baster?

would it be ok to spray them krill or brine shrimp with a turkey baster?

There's nothing really wrong with that, if the anemone is healthy enough to take such small particles. With "carpet" anemones, I like to use something a little more substantial. These are large animals, capable of eating a lot of groceries.

Got some anemones here as well.

For your critical appreciation.

Regards
Binayak Audhya

Attachments

• 06122011312.jpg
    06122011312.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 06122011313.jpg
    06122011313.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3
Here's a current picture of my tank, showing my two giganteas.

The green/yellow I’ve had for about 14 months, and it was in another reefers tank for a year or so before that.

The turquoise one I got from Liveaquaria has been in the tank for about 10 months.

Interestingly, the juvenile of the spawning trio of ocellaris clowns in the green/yellow gigantea has never shown any inclination to move to the other gigantea and set up its own home there. Maybe it likes it current role. :)

Reef%252520Tank%252520Nov%25252029%2525202011%252520%2525289%252529.JPG

Here's an uploaded version for anyone who cannot see the above picture (some locations block them):

Attachments

• Reef Tank Nov 29 2011 (9).jpg
    Reef Tank Nov 29 2011 (9).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've never noticed my Chelmon marginalis nip at the giganteas. It did apparently eat lots of aiptasia, which along with a ton of peppermints solved a huge infestation and now none are visible anywhere.

I have noticed it nip at some LPS, but usually only when a bit of food landed on them. They never seemed to be bothered much by these rare events.

nice, Randy!

nice, Randy!

Happy Holidays to you and yours. That teal is a beauty! My Copperband (C. rostratus... similar to C. marginalis) never bothers carpet anemones but my Klein's Butterflyfish pesters ALL anemones.

Sept2011d.jpg

Here is a 2 month update on my blue/green carpet

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FTtZ0vrkpg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
EC... thank you so much for the video.... I am in awe!!! I wish I had the tank space and dedication to run carbon, and do huge water changes, so, just please keep posting pictures and videos so I can enjoy yours! Your porcelain crab doing the wave was hilarious!

I have some questions for you if you don't mind....
Currently (180 gallon):

I have an LTA hosting a spawning pair of picassos (about 2.5 years together now...)

Femaleclownandporcelainplayingchicken.jpg

A year a go, I added a blue haddoni

NewPorcelain2.jpg

Observations.

Clowns weren't spawning when the haddoni was added. They stayed in their LTA and paid absolutely NO attention to it. Then, two things happened, they started going in the haddoni for bits of time, but clearly being hosted by the LTA (they are close together- their choice, not mine. The haddoni moved within about 10 inches of the LTA) And, I noticed spawning. Not sure which came first, but, both activities happened last summer.

My percs choose to stay with their LTA when they are within a day or so of spawning, and through to hatch. Then, when they are on vacation, they go back to playing periodically in the haddoni, but still being hosted by the LTA.

Anyway, I also added two porcelain crabs, on in each anemone (as you see in the pics.) Within a week, both crabs ended up in the haddoni. And stay there. The clowns and crabs pay no mind to one another now. These pics were initial curiousity.

So, just like all reefers do, I'm shaking things up. I'm downsizing to a 60 gallon cube, and have obtained a 2 year captive blue gigantea. I'm moving my clowns to the cube with the gigantea next week. I don't care about hosting at this point, I'm sure they'll work it out eventually. LOL I'm interested in whether anyone has had porcelain crabs in a gigantea? All these pictures, and I haven't seen one with a porcelain crab in a gig...

In keeping with the thread, here are some pictures of my carpet anemones :) Sorry, I haven't gotten the hang of pictures with the lighting over the gig, so, those pictures will be next week.

Papasmurf.jpg

maleclownandhaddoni.jpg

Clownsonchildfreevacation.jpg

maximinis.jpg

CloseupMaxi.jpg

Interestingly, when the haddoni travelled, toward the LTA, I was panicking. I actually put that little plastic divider there, knowing either of them could mow it down in a heart beat, but at least the tentacles couldn't touch incidentally. Oddly enough, the haddoni retreated about 8-10 inches and that's how they've been for nearly a year.

DSC02565.jpg

DSC02529.jpg

Back