A Smart? Aquarium in Taiwan...

A Smart? Aquarium in Taiwan...

No problem, hope those frags grow well in your tank.

Have you found KZ Reefer Best Reef Salt? I just check Hsinchu LFS since I remember there were still one or two boxes left on floor day I visited, but unfortunately I was too late, it is out of stock now.

It's harder and harder to find KZ slat these days, I need to figure it out.

I am taking extra care on those frags because it's a friendly gift from you buddy!

KZ salt is really hard to find in our country ! I am going to get the blue bucket Red Sea salt and now I am trying to slowly pulling up my KH gradually as Red Sea Blue bucket has a KH of 8.5 dkh . Right now my water is at 7.60 dkh and I am doing few % water change daily to let corals getting use to it gradually .

Really still in a learning curve , so much to learn buddy!

Cheers,

Detail is addressed on 12th floor...(http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23395061&postcount=12).

Yes, it is tubular motor, I pick the one can pull up 100kg just in case. It is rolling up so no pulley need. Do let me know if I misunderstand your points.

Any chance you have a picture of how the cable is attached to the tube? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but when that rotates to wind the cable up how do you keep the cable from just slipping and never getting wound up?

Any chance you have a picture of how the cable is attached to the tube? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but when that rotates to wind the cable up how do you keep the cable from just slipping and never getting wound up?

I hope this one is clear enough. It is just some good quality screws to keep cable from slipping....

24535427496_f0f16557dd_o.jpg

I thought RO/DI make NO3 and PO4 to undetectable.... Well, the US$399 3M one did give me NO3=0 with Salifert test kit, but the US$100 Taiwan brand (on the left) give me NO3= 1.0 ppm reading...

What is your RO/DI water NO3 reading?

23933258364_dc58837baf_o.jpg
23933258664_07aab1948d_o.jpg

24265885890_3b99e9098b_o.jpg

Last edited:

probably depends on the water supply though. here we have strict regs on nitrates in the water and it rarely is measurable.

Very cool! I have LED strips (DIY from rapidLED) on both sides of my ATI 8x32w fixture. They are great for adding some pop and filling in any dim spots.

Your method of attaching them is better than mine though! Mine are velcro-ed to the ATI with a hinge so that I can remove them or change their angle.

Great tank!

probably depends on the water supply though. here we have strict regs on nitrates in the water and it rarely is measurable.

Good to know and thanks. Sorry, I mistakenly typed RO/DI, and actually both water purify devices are only RO, no DI function.

Very cool! I have LED strips (DIY from rapidLED) on both sides of my ATI 8x32w fixture. They are great for adding some pop and filling in any dim spots.

Your method of attaching them is better than mine though! Mine are velcro-ed to the ATI with a hinge so that I can remove them or change their angle.

Great tank!

Thanks. For different angles needs, I made three set of metal parts to choose, 10, 15, and 20 degree, and currently I use 10 degree set.

I was curious as this tank has progressed about your clean up crew. Some will stay hidden after they find homes but have you had to add more or just what you added initially. Any clean up crew die off? Thank you so much for sharing this build thread. I truely appreciate your time and effort to enrich us all with your knowledge and experience.

Also I noticed a few times you mention your growth is slower than your old MH system. If you started this tank again would you still go t5\LED?

Hi Shih,

I got a referral to your thread, and am reading it bit by bit. Even reading your previous tank thread.

Current tank is Amazing!! You have achieved some spectacular color combinations, and excellent growth. Nice automation and great documentation of your progress. Appreciate that.

My tank started around same time as yours.
I have documented similarly in detail like you, but haven't had the success you have had.

I will be tagging along to see your future and cheer you on.

Congrats.

Wally

Last edited:
I was curious as this tank has progressed about your clean up crew. Some will stay hidden after they find homes but have you had to add more or just what you added initially. Any clean up crew die off? Thank you so much for sharing this build thread. I truely appreciate your time and effort to enrich us all with your knowledge and experience.

I believe there are some snails and blue/red leg hermit crabs die since more empty shell found in tank, I also manually removed starfish since they naturally die off in tank by losing legs. I didn't add more clean up crew but more rely on my black sea cucumbers. They grow double from original size and I think they are harmless to my coral.

Also I noticed a few times you mention your growth is slower than your old MH system. If you started this tank again would you still go t5\LED?

Coral in my old tank did grow faster than new tank, no doubt. Both are KZ system, but old tank equipped MH and added KZ Coral booster. New tank equipped T5 + LED and no booster. I become more focus on color than their grow this time. I actually trim off or even removed some big colonies lately to create more space.

I don't think I will go back MH since I like open top tank and tank in living room, not b/c MH perform worse. However, after I found Kessil AP700 LED< I think it did a good job to replace MH light the way I want. So I may keep ATI T5 and Kessil AP700 even next tank, but it is too early to tell.

Hi Shih,

I got a referral to your thread, and am reading it bit by bit. Even reading your previous tank thread.

Current tank is Amazing!! You have achieved some spectacular color combinations, and excellent growth. Nice automation and great documentation of your progress. Appreciate that.

My tank started around same time as yours.
I have documented similarly in detail like you, but haven't had the success you have had.

I will be tagging along to see your future and cheer you on.

Congrats.

Wally

Interested... I actually referred your tank to Taiwan reefers on the clean up crew contest topic ;-)
I often review your thread and I think your documentary is way better than mine, and you have lots of creative topics going on that excited the rest of us. Thank you.

Well sir, you inspired me to build again. Just bought a house today and I get the garage all for sps growing. For the first time I am going expensive up front after this build thread. I wonder if you could do us returning, new, and struggling old réefers a favor. Could you make a guideline for growing sps in a new thread based on your experience. An all in one overview. I know your busy so I understand if you just want us to scroll back and forth thru your current threads. Also what online games do you play. Wow, star wars, darkfall, archers age,and league of legends here. Thanks Brandon

Well sir, you inspired me to build again. Just bought a house today and I get the garage all for sps growing. For the first time I am going expensive up front after this build thread. I wonder if you could do us returning, new, and struggling old réefers a favor. Could you make a guideline for growing sps in a new thread based on your experience. An all in one overview. I know your busy so I understand if you just want us to scroll back and forth thru your current threads. Also what online games do you play. Wow, star wars, darkfall, archers age,and league of legends here. Thanks Brandon

Congrats to your new home. Indeed this is the best time to build a dream tank. I might be a bit busy during Chinese New Year and many traveling plan in Q1, but yes, you can ready through my thread for detail, or PM me if I can help. It will be much easier to draw you tank on CAD like Google Sketchup. I actually found lots of design mistake just by draw it on Sketchup.

Sorry I did not play online game regularly, but play standalone game only.

Any word on how the alkinity monitoring system is going?

I heard it is running its friendly user trial now, but honestly, I am only a tester, all I can said is"¦ It change my daily routine significantly and free me up for vacation and traveling.

I heard it is running its friendly user trial now, but honestly, I am only a tester, all I can said is… It change my daily routine significantly and free me up for vacation and traveling.

If your friend can get this to market it would be awesome and change all of our routines! Does it have web access?

There is another comprehensive monitor trying to get to market but seems to have all gone quiet after a failed fund raising.......

If your friend can get this to market it would be awesome and change all of our routines! Does it have web access?

There is another comprehensive monitor trying to get to market but seems to have all gone quiet after a failed fund raising.......

The one I got (lab 3) only come with web interface, but Android and iOS APP are also available to monitor remotely. Sorry I did not use its APP myself, but a screen capture of home page as below....

24225795343_e4b7089e55.jpg

FTS update (2016.2.21)
25074845781_065f2dfae1_o.jpg

Note: many hermit crab walked on sand bed because I added 150 of them to take care my algae blooming problem after adding LED lights.

Beautiful photo, Shih!
Do your chromis always school so well?
I a lot of your photos, they are all grouped together..I love it.
Your tank is looking really good!

Beautiful photo, Shih!
Do your chromis always school so well?
I a lot of your photos, they are all grouped together..I love it.
Your tank is looking really good!

Yes, most of time they school well, even water change time.

Problem is my corals are also too close to each other... like below.... ;-(
but as long as they keep growing, I should be happy....

25052129072_6faa984943_o.jpg

24802685579_f7fd673171_o.jpg

Back