Anyone else get a wp40 wave maker yet?

I have two ony 180 and so far I love em... Great flow every where

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Vortechs are "Assembled in the USA"

Says it in the bottom of the box

Got to be careful with the labels.

Manufactured in China, assembled in the USA.

The Vortech is pretty pricy. I'm considering also....,the smaller Jebao for my 60 gallon cube once available.

While listening to my aging MP40W rattle this morning, I ordered one of these instead of a getting a new wet side from Ecotech.

I'll give my full report as soon as I receive it and set it up.

In Canada, a replacement wet side for the MP40 is the same price of the Jebao!

It's an easy decision.

I think everyone is welcome here regardless of location.

This board is active enough that its often in the first few search results

I never said he wasn't welcome, it just seemed very random considering this is a local forum. Also there are many other threads regarding the WP40, not only on RC but on all the other major reef forums as well. Just an observation.

I never said he wasn't welcome, it just seemed very random considering this is a local forum. Also there are many other threads regarding the WP40, not only on RC but on all the other major reef forums as well. Just an observation.
There is a recent activity feature that lists the most recently active threads on a main page, because our forum is so active we show up there quite often. FWIW I knew you werent jumping him about posting on the URS.

I was referring to the guy that said "won't happen again"

Jaybfresh I never actually saw that you wrote that but we are both on the same page. I was basically saying what you had already said.

tst 400

You and others are welcome here , as far as I'm concerned.

So far. This pump is too strong for my 60 gallon cube with stock controller. Unless i run it on w2 or w3. I don't recommend using anything less than 24 volt power supply that came with it. Could cause premature wear. Too be seen. Next i will be restacking my tank and hopefully going to make a Arduino controller. Till then i have it on my Apex.

So far. This pump is too strong for my 60 gallon cube with stock controller. Unless i run it on w2 or w3. I don't recommend using anything less than 24 volt power supply that came with it. Could cause premature wear. Too be seen. Next i will be restacking my tank and hopefully going to make a Arduino controller. Till then i have it on my Apex.

Why would running it at less than 24V cause premature wear? It varies its voltage to change speeds anyway as it is going through its programs. All using the lower voltage power supply does is change the "max" voltage. Wouldn't it just be essentially the same thing as running an MP40 on say 50% instead of 100%?

I'm just passing along what I've read re. reduced voltage, so take it with a grain of salt.

Apparently the pump speed is controlled with the 0-5 volt leg. The analogy someone used is that you could dim your car's headlights by using a 6 volt battery, but you wouldn't want to.

Lousy explanation on my part. Someone who knows electronics will hopefully chime in.

It has something to do with the fact that if you drop that leg of voltage it will not have enough power to start as intended. This could theoretically reduce pump life and or result in failure. I will search the main thread and try to post the quote of why.

Originally Posted by dread240
electrical power is wattage... watts are a function of voltage and current

Say a device requires 30 watts to work... at 24v it would have 1.25amps flowing through it to produce 30 watts... at 12v it would now have 2.5 amps for 30 watts of power... and by the time you reduce down to 6v you're now looking at 5 amps

bear in mind... as I said previously I still don't have one of these, and see lots of confusion... so we'll get into how the electrical load of the pump setup would work...

we're going to stick with 30w, it's a nice number and I like it. (actual wattage will vary with speed I'm sure, but I can't verify anything)

24v max speed is as said previously, 1.25amps to make it work

If you maintain 24v and run a 50% duty cycle, your peak amperage stays the same but average current would drop down to .75 amps

Now if you go with 12v for 50% speed and keep it at max constantly on that your amperage is now the 2.5 amps constantly. You can see the difference in current pretty easily right away... .75amp average vs. 2.5amp draw

Trying to drop to 30% speed with pwm vs. voltage is another big hike... .375 amp average on the 24v pwm circuit vs. 4.16 amps on the 7 volt circuit...

Wire, pcb traces, coils, they are all designed around given numbers... Your traces have to be far enough apart so that you can't short between at a given voltage.. and wire insulation must be sufficient for that (these numbers decrease at lower voltages, meaning less insulation and less space... so should never be a problem)

gauge of wire, and width of a pcb trace, as well as the gauge of wire used on the stator of the motor, all must increase in order to carry more current. Otherwise it gets too hot and burns up, or over time breaks down the insulation of the stator and shorts it.

This is the basics of how it works, and why some people have expressed genuine concern with lowering voltage, and it's a valid point. There is ALWAYS an acceptable range, and I don't know exactly what their control is doing or what... that's up to some of the guys that have one to figure it out. As far as I know at this point, that control could be regulating down to 5v anyways and just passing through the supply voltage, which would mean the control is safe but the pump may not be. There could be circuitry in the pump to protect from too much current as well too.

With the unknowns of the project, I personally would just nix their control and build my own 24v pwm circuit to run the pump. That way in my head there would be no question whatsoever as to what the pump was doing or if I was causing any damage to it

Back