ASM Skimmer Club!

I have had my asm g2(rated 200 gal max) for 2 yrs. I have the gate mod, recirc mod, air line mod and have done the mesh mod went back to the pinwheel start troubles. Total water 130gal and i have never been happy with the skimmer it's wet skim or no skim. More gunk builds in the neck than ever gets in the cup. I clean the cup neck every weekend the build up is THICK.
Thanks

Hello all... Have a G3, used, but next to new with no mods. Could someone pls point me in the right direction (links for parts and/or mod tutorials) for any mods that I can do for top performance.

Hi All,

I have a AMS G4X that I am putting on my 215. It is in a 125 gallon sump in 12 inches of water.

My question is, what is the optimium depth that I should be running this skimmer at? Is 12" too deep?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15699293#post15699293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shackscs
Hi All,

I have a AMS G4X that I am putting on my 215. It is in a 125 gallon sump in 12 inches of water.

My question is, what is the optimium depth that I should be running this skimmer at? Is 12" too deep?

I have a G3 which I recently moved up from sitting a little over 11 inches of water to 8 inches. Raising it up really seemed to make a difference. I think the G3 is supposed to sit in 8-10 inches of water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15713185#post15713185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tigé21v
I have a G3 which I recently moved up from sitting a little over 11 inches of water to 8 inches. Raising it up really seemed to make a difference. I think the G3 is supposed to sit in 8-10 inches of water.

+1
I have my G-1X in 9 inches. I believe the optimum for G-1X through G4 is 8-10 inches.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15713642#post15713642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sunnyday
+1
I have my G-1X in 9 inches. I believe the optimum for G-1X through G4 is 8-10 inches.
now thats only if it not modded with recirculating and gate valve right?My G4 is set up this way and is sitting in 11" of water.

Anybody used a Sedra 5000 pump on an ASM G-2 Skimmer?

I've been searching the millions of threads and posts and can't seam to find an answer. I've seen it asked, just no answers. Both skimmers have the same diameter body and I believe the same size inlet pipes. Just the G-3 is a few inches shorter.

I've seen photos of the two skimmers side by side and it looks like I could just replace the 3500 with the 5000 using the same fittings. I just don't know if this is true in real life and if this pump would work effectively.

I'd hate to just get another 3500 ($90+/-) if I could inprove my efficiency for only another ($20-$30). But I certainly don't want to waste money and have it not fit or work.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15714977#post15714977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tigé21v
My G3 has both recirc and gate valve. 11 inches seemed to be too deep, at least for mine.
what i dont understand is that if its a or been modded for recirculating why does it matter what the water level?corect me if im wrong but a recirc skimmer doesn't even need to be in the sump to work

I'm pretty sure it has to do with how far the pump has to pull the air down into the water. It's fighting the water pressure. What happens when you turn the pump off? Water immediately fills the venturi air tube. This is natural. It is only because of the pump running that you have a clear airline. Stick a straw into the top 1/2 of a full 44oz soda from the gas station and blow into it to make a bubble. Now do it with the straw all the way down in the cup. It takes a lot more pressure form you to do it. Same principle. The closer the venturi is to the water surface, the more air it can pull.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15725010#post15725010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tigé21v
I'm pretty sure it has to do with how far the pump has to pull the air down into the water. It's fighting the water pressure. What happens when you turn the pump off? Water immediately fills the venturi air tube. This is natural. It is only because of the pump running that you have a clear airline. Stick a straw into the top 1/2 of a full 44oz soda from the gas station and blow into it to make a bubble. Now do it with the straw all the way down in the cup. It takes a lot more pressure form you to do it. Same principle. The closer the venturi is to the water surface, the more air it can pull.

+1

Hey Doug, I don't write in much but am wondering the pump question. I have a G3, gate valve, and impellar mod. Is 3 layers of mesh in the 5000 still the best I can do for pump and foam? Has the pump tech advanced over this? Is the Sicce 2500 a better way to go?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15727475#post15727475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robertifly
Hey Doug, I don't write in much but am wondering the pump question. I have a G3, gate valve, and impellar mod. Is 3 layers of mesh in the 5000 still the best I can do for pump and foam? Has the pump tech advanced over this? Is the Sicce 2500 a better way to go?
not sure.i run the Eheim on my skimmer instead of the 5000.

Back