ASM Skimmer Club!

my g2 runs fine as far i as i know it was on it when i bought it used and the only pump i have used with it.
excellent thanks for the reply
i think im going to buy me the 5000 then and use my current 3500 as the recirc.
we will see if it makes it any better
i already ordered my uniseals was just looking for confirmation of someone using a sendra 5000 on a g2 skimmer:D

Ok, so it would appear that I am missing the piece that connects the cup to the base. I sent a PM to the person I got this from to see where the part is. I purchased this several months ago so I am not very optimisic about him having the part.

If this falls through, does anyone know of someone that may have one for sale?

Maybe you don't have the skimmer fully assembled, but the skimmer in the pic is NOT set up to recirculate the water.

I want to do the mesh mod but i have the pin need propeller and i was told by the LFS that I need to buy a another type of propeller where can i get another propeller for my sedra 3500 so i can do the mesh mod

I just purchased a G1 from ebay. only problem is that it is missing the airline tubing. does anyone know what size tubing to buy for replacement? TIA

Can some one confirm that based upon the picture above that my skimmer is in fact a G4 and not a G3?

I got a PM from an RC member telling me that my skimmer is not a G4 but a G3 instead.

Considering that I paid $290.00 for it shipped. If it is a G3, I could have gotten a new one for $9.00 more.

Gate valve question for you all.

Can you use a ball valve instead of a gate valve for the mod?

Having trouble finding a gatevalve, but have a few ball valves laying around.

No, you can not use a ball valve for this mod. Ball valves are really good at what they were meant to do, turn water on or off, not so good in between. A gate valve is much better at incremental flow. Most hardware stores do not stock the gate valves. I am told that Ace Hardware stocks them if you have one in your area. Otherwise you can get them from many online vendors - www.savko.com.

Rob

Gate valve question for you all.

Can you use a ball valve instead of a gate valve for the mod?

Having trouble finding a gatevalve, but have a few ball valves laying around.

Two quick questions if someone can help me.

#1 I have a ASM Mini-G. Does anyone know what supplies I would need to do a gatevalve mod to it? I have took it to lowes and was not able to find any PVC pipe that would fit in place of its riser tube, and no fittings fit it..... I would really like to do this mod for the tank I am fixing to put it in. When you do the gate valve mod, where should the riser tube be height wise in the skimmer bodies tube? About halfway or so, just not close to the bottom I assume?

#2. What is the optimal water height for this skimmer?

Thanks,
Josh

No, you can not use a ball valve for this mod. Ball valves are really good at what they were meant to do, turn water on or off, not so good in between. A gate valve is much better at incremental flow. Most hardware stores do not stock the gate valves. I am told that Ace Hardware stocks them if you have one in your area. Otherwise you can get them from many online vendors - www.savko.com.

Rob

Good to know, thanks Rob.

I put a ball valve on mine while I wait for my gate valve to arrive. It works fine. I just use both hands to adjust and can easily adjust in small increments. I'll still install the gate valve when it gets here because the ball valve is huge (about 6" long).

Can some one confirm that based upon the picture above that my skimmer is in fact a G4 and not a G3?

I got a PM from an RC member telling me that my skimmer is not a G4 but a G3 instead.

Considering that I paid $290.00 for it shipped. If it is a G3, I could have gotten a new one for $9.00 more.
Measure the main body diameter. The g3 is 6 1/2 inches, the g4 is 8 1/2 inches

Can anybody with an ASM-G2 using a Sedra 5000, please post a photo? I've been trying to reaserch this, but I can't find anything. Every time I appear to find somebody doing it, the threads go dead. I'd like to replace my 4 year old Sedra 3500 with a Sedra 5000 if possible. But I'd like to see it done first to be sure it will work.

Does anybody know the actual dimensions of the Sedra 5000? I'm limited with space in my sump. I'd need the length, width and height.

Thanks,
Craig

I could use the same advise. Can anyone help with directions on the gate valve Mod.?

Two quick questions if someone can help me.

#1 I have a ASM Mini-G. Does anyone know what supplies I would need to do a gatevalve mod to it? I have took it to lowes and was not able to find any PVC pipe that would fit in place of its riser tube, and no fittings fit it..... I would really like to do this mod for the tank I am fixing to put it in. When you do the gate valve mod, where should the riser tube be height wise in the skimmer bodies tube? About halfway or so, just not close to the bottom I assume?

#2. What is the optimal water height for this skimmer?

Thanks,
Josh

falconut
how big of and area do you have to work with in your sump. the g3 foot print is 11"x12" and that has the sedra 5000. which is only one inch larger than a g2 foot print. the width of the skimmer body is the same for the g2 and g3. i could post a pic but i don't think it would help you.

no worries just waiting for my sendra 5000 to come in and i will be using it with my g2 skimmer i will throw up some pics so just be patient:D
sendra 3500 will be my recirc.

Back