ASM Skimmer Club!

I guess I have my first question :)
Are either the gate valve mod or the mesh mod worth my time before I get the skimmer wet and running? The skimmer I am getting is coming to me stock I believe.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15730484#post15730484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lordofthereef
I guess I have my first question :)
Are either the gate valve mod or the mesh mod worth my time before I get the skimmer wet and running? The skimmer I am getting is coming to me stock I believe.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to mod it first. Still, I think it's nice to see for yourself what a difference a mod or two can make. Plus I'd want to have the piece of mind it's working at all before doing any mod.

Last edited:
Alright I am thinking about getting the G2 or G3 for my 120 RR tank, my question is what is the gph rating for each of the sedra pumps the sedra 3500 and 5000? I am trying to find a pump that i can put in my sump to match the gph rating of the skimmer. Thanks

Don't think you should be looking at anything less than a G4, especially if you're doing any SPS . And good luck on finding the true gallon rating for the pumps. I have not been able to find them anywhere. What is listed on the box or on any website is the gph without the venturi. The venturi significantly reduces the gph.
PM'd

Got my skimmer up and running last night. Picked it up used for a good deal. Ordered a gate valve but I'm impatient and stuck a ball valve on there for now. Also replaced the small hose that came with it with a longer 3/8" PEX hose (same stuff RO/DI's are plumbed with, it has a bigger ID than the hose that came with the skimmer). I still need to drill out the venturi and I'm on the fence about the mesh mod. When I bought the skimmer the impeller it came with was bulged out, rusted, and wouldn't spin. It's making foam like a champ just a few hours after being put in a tub of water from a WC. So far I'm happy with this skimmer and can't wait to get it on my tank.

ASMSkimmer.jpg

ASMSkimmerNeck.jpg

ASMSkimmerFoam.jpg

Skimmer not skimming?

Skimmer not skimming?

gatevalvemod.jpg

Ok just did the gate valve mod on my G-1 and its working great!!!
My question is my skimmer hasnt been making alot of sludge. It starting doing this about 2 days ago even b4 I did this mod. MY tank doesnt have a large load on it and everything looks good.

Ideas?

Nothing has been changed. Last week I changes my sump and added filter socks but it was working normal after that. This started 2 days ago.

Ok, I'm planning to finally put my ASM skimmer into service on the tank tomorrow. I noticed it leaks a bit around the body/cone connection, anything to worry about there? It will be in sump, not external, just want to make sure I'm getting the best performance possible.

Oh, and I drilled out the venturi yesterday, slight increase in bubbles. I currently have the pinwheel impeller, and I think I have a sheet of Enkamat PF4 in a pile of stuff somewhere, will that work for the mesh mod? I'm a little uneasy about cutting up the pinwheel that I just spent $40 on.

i have a g2 i bought used it came with the sedra 5000 and not the 3500 so is it basically a g3 because i cant find to much difference between the two. according to marine depot the g3 is 1 inch shorter and that was the only difference.

ASM G4x Skimmer help needed

ASM G4x Skimmer help needed

I purchased a ASM G4X skimmer here off of RC a few months back. I am now working on getting it going but I seem to be missing a few parts. Does anyone have an exploded view of the skimmer or a manual of sorts?

My problem is that there is nothing to hold the collection cup on the skimmer.

The skimmer has a gate mod and recirc mod. I am using the Sedra pump on the lower hole and my tank drain on the the upper one. Or at least that is what I want to do. Currently the sedra pushes the top off the skimmer even before I plug in the drain line.

There also appears to be a clear o-ring on the bottom of the collection cup. There are also indications that the collection cup base should turn and lock into something else.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

I did do an exhaustive search of working skimmers to see if I can see what I am missing but no luck. The previous order referred me to another ASM skimmer link that proved to be of little help with my problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

i have a g2 i bought used it came with the sedra 5000 and not the 3500 so is it basically a g3 because i cant find to much difference between the two. according to marine depot the g3 is 1 inch shorter and that was the only difference.

i have the G2 as well ive done the gate valve mod and mesh mod
how well does it run with the sendra 5000 on it?
im getting ready to do the recirc. mod and would like to keep my 3500 as the recirc. and use the 5000 as water supply to it
any thoughts?

my system was 75 gal DT with a 55 gal sump i was in the middle of upgrading to a 220 gal DT when i came into money problems after i upgraded my sump for the bigger DT so i now have a 125 gal sump/frag/macro algea/skimmer
so i hit a MONEY ROAD BLOCK for the time being:( !!
and since i cant put alot of money into a bigger skimmer i must mod!

Last edited:
Ok, here are pictures of the skimmer:

Full skimmer shot showing recirc and gate mods.

gsx4.jpg

Here is a shot of the inside of the skimmer lid. Notice the notches around the inside.

gsx1.jpg

Shot of the bottom of the collection cup. Notice the spots where it looks as if it should turn and lock into something. Also notice the white o-ring around the neck.

gsx5.jpg

Shot of the base of the cup. Notice again that there appears to be something that this is supposed to turn and lock into but it just sits on top of the skimmer body.

gsx7.jpg

The top hole is what I am going to use to feed the skimmer, or so I thought. Can I close this off by putting an elbow and piece of PVC going up above the height of the skimmer?

gsx9.jpg

Thanks

Ok, so it would appear that I am missing the piece that connects the cup to the base. I sent a PM to the person I got this from to see where the part is. I purchased this several months ago so I am not very optimisic about him having the part.

If this falls through, does anyone know of someone that may have one for sale?

Last edited:
Thanks. They are currently listed as not available. :(

Still waiting on seller to get back to me.

a few weeks ago my mesh fell off, over a few years old and the pump wasn't doing much with out it. so i switched it out with a spare quite one 5000 did a little diy to get it to fit but i ran pretty close to my mesh mod sedra 5000.

Back