ASM Skimmer Club!

A man of my word!

A man of my word!

ok everyone that has wanted someone to accually post a G2 skimmer mod with a sendra 5000 here you go and i keep the 3500 for my recirc. mod this is freaking huge its now 18" accross! and lucky me it just fit in my skimmer section in my sump WOW that was close!
this thing is shooting a fine mist through the top of my skimmer now when i have the lid off and its now on its lowest setting
i dont have the 400 for a bigger size skimmer but i do believe this will do:D

enough chat show me pics " i know i know"

smimmermodscomplete012.jpg

smimmermodscomplete015.jpg

smimmermodscomplete017.jpg

smimmermodscomplete020.jpg

hey everyone i bought a used g4 about 2weeks ago and its stock i wanna do things to it while i have it out to make it easy so im starting off with the gate valve mod can anyone else help me out on other things?? thanks

I could use the same advise. Can anyone help with directions on the gate valve Mod.?

hey i bought my gate valve mod for 32bucks i dont have all the tools to cut the pvc so if your in the same boat as i was let me no ill tell you where i got mine

ok everyone that has wanted someone to accually post a G2 skimmer mod with a sendra 5000 here you go and i keep the 3500 for my recirc. mod this is freaking huge its now 18" accross! and lucky me it just fit in my skimmer section in my sump WOW that was close!
this thing is shooting a fine mist through the top of my skimmer now when i have the lid off and its now on its lowest setting
i dont have the 400 for a bigger size skimmer but i do believe this will do:D

enough chat show me pics " i know i know"

smimmermodscomplete012.jpg

smimmermodscomplete015.jpg

smimmermodscomplete017.jpg

smimmermodscomplete020.jpg

hey it looks to be about 2inch of water above your pumps whats the reason for that when i put mine in my sump ill have about 9-10inch of water

MrineLfRlz,

Just curious why you put the T before the gate valve, instead of after?

brad,

Drill out the venturi opening with the largest bit you can. I also upgraded the tubing from the rubbery one it came with to a plastic PEX tubing (think same stuff as RO/DI plumbing) in a bit larger size. The mesh wheel mod is popular as well.

I've had my ASM G1X running for a while now and it's making good foam and some nice dark skimmate. I'm extremely happy about this skimmer's performance for the price.

MrineLfRlz,

Just curious why you put the T before the gate valve, instead of after?

brad,

Drill out the venturi opening with the largest bit you can. I also upgraded the tubing from the rubbery one it came with to a plastic PEX tubing (think same stuff as RO/DI plumbing) in a bit larger size. The mesh wheel mod is popular as well.

I've had my ASM G1X running for a while now and it's making good foam and some nice dark skimmate. I'm extremely happy about this skimmer's performance for the price.

ok you lost me for a second there am i drilling the intake hole bigger??? and i also heard of people making the air line hole bigger

No, not the intake for water, the air intake. It's the little nipple that sticks up from the intake assembly and where you attach the air intake hose to. I can't remember what size I drilled mine out to, but it ended up being much more than I first thought (after looking at all the plastic shavings/pigtails on the ground). Find out what bit barely fits in the air intake and run it through, then go the next size up (increments of 1/64" if you can). I kept going until I reached a size that when I started drilling, I could see the plastic change colors with the edge of the drill bit, then I knew the opening was as big as it was safely going to get. I went down to the size right below that and made sure the venturi was clean, no plastic shavings sticking out. I ran it under some hot water just in case any oils from the drill bit were left, and put it back on the pump. Took all of 10min to do, and half of that time was finding my chuck for my drill, since I always seem to lose it.

No, not the intake for water, the air intake. It's the little nipple that sticks up from the intake assembly and where you attach the air intake hose to. I can't remember what size I drilled mine out to, but it ended up being much more than I first thought (after looking at all the plastic shavings/pigtails on the ground). Find out what bit barely fits in the air intake and run it through, then go the next size up (increments of 1/64" if you can). I kept going until I reached a size that when I started drilling, I could see the plastic change colors with the edge of the drill bit, then I knew the opening was as big as it was safely going to get. I went down to the size right below that and made sure the venturi was clean, no plastic shavings sticking out. I ran it under some hot water just in case any oils from the drill bit were left, and put it back on the pump. Took all of 10min to do, and half of that time was finding my chuck for my drill, since I always seem to lose it.

so to make sure i got this right what your doing is allowing more air flow??

Thanks for the Sedra 5000 photos on the G-2 or G-3. Wow, that's big. I'm just going with the 3500. I don't think I have the room for the 5000, even if I found the fittings to convert it from 3/4" to 1".

update:
its been a few days since my mod and i have to say wow!
this thing skims like crazy even with the exit tube down as far as it will go with the gate valve mod it still skimmed very wet but what i did last night is cut off about an inch of the exit tube and now its skimming dryer and i can still adjust it up to skim wetter if needed
im going to keep an eye on it and if i need to cut alittle more off i will

065.jpg

066.jpg

my opinion is if you have a g2 and cant afford a bigger skimmer spend just alittle more and do this mod it works!

Last edited:
Hey Brad, long time,lol.

Hey all, jsut finished a gate/recirc mod set-up. couple questions

1. any difference going to sedra 9 over the 5 for the recirc?
2. on the feed pump, use the 5? or use a smaller pump with a venturi? one site says either use gravity feed from overflow, or use a maxijet. Nobody says anything about using the venturi to add MORE air to the equation?

3. Should I add the mesh mod too? Or is that just useless?

Back