ASM Skimmer Club!

Im looking at getting a new skimmer. I have a 120 + 20gal softy dominated system. I was thinking about getting a G3, but it seems everybody is modding these skimmers out.Can these skimmers handle a medium to heavilly stocked system without all the mods, or should I just spend the money on a different skimmer?

Im looking at getting a new skimmer. I have a 120 + 20gal softy dominated system. I was thinking about getting a G3, but it seems everybody is modding these skimmers out.Can these skimmers handle a medium to heavilly stocked system without all the mods, or should I just spend the money on a different skimmer?
well before i started upgrading i was running a 55 gal sump on my 75 gal DT and i ran a non modded G2 and it did great "although the gate valve mod at that time would have been nice"
the tank was fairly well stocked with fish, lps, soft and zoo corals but now that i have a 125 sump its alot more water vol. so i had no choice but to mod it being that i dont have the money yet for a much bigger skimmer

I have a G-1X on my 75g well-stocked system. I have yet to do any of the mods. I have no complaints without the mods, though I may do the gate valve mod to keep from getting my hands wet every time I make an adjustment. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm open to doing a mod or two in the future if I think it's necessary, but so far I'm happy with the skimmer the way it is...so are my clams, sps, lps, softies...etc.

IMHO the G-3 is a good pick for the system you describe, especially for the money. I'd be worried if you were looking at a G-1X for that system. Keep us posted as to how it works for you!

I have a G4 and it's been really finicky lately. Dosing, stirring up the tank, and feeding cause it to go beserk. It will fill the collection cup in less than a minute. The skimmer has a mesh wheel and gate valve. I'm going to pull the pump apart today and see what I can see but if anyone has any ideas on why the sudden mood change I'd be interested in hearing them.

Thanks,
Mike

I pulled my gate valve off a couple of years ago. I got tired of the overflowing collection cups, so I messed with all kinds of configurations, and settings. I finally decided there was no way to keep the thing from deciding it wanted to make massive amounts of foam and water, (although I still believe it has alot to do with the air venturi on the supply pump) so I pulled the gate valve off and set the water level with the riser tube. Now, if it decides it wants to spew massive amounts, there is no gate to restrict the water flow, it just flows right on out.

went from having floods once a month or so, to I have only had one about 2yrs.

I pulled my gate valve off a couple of years ago. I got tired of the overflowing collection cups, so I messed with all kinds of configurations, and settings. I finally decided there was no way to keep the thing from deciding it wanted to make massive amounts of foam and water, (although I still believe it has alot to do with the air venturi on the supply pump) so I pulled the gate valve off and set the water level with the riser tube. Now, if it decides it wants to spew massive amounts, there is no gate to restrict the water flow, it just flows right on out.

Thanks...you just convinced me not to do the gate valve mod. :bounce3:

Great! I just bought all the plumbing for it. I don't really understand how the gate valve works or what advantage it has. Is it just for ease of adjusting the wetness of the skimmate?

On modding the needle wheel, how many layers of enkemat do I use? Should it be enough so that it is the same height the needles used to be?

Two questions about modding my asm.

I would like to bulkhead a drain on the side towards the bottom of the skimmer body to drain out the water. Something like the RO 1/4" ball valves but bigger to prevent clogging. Threads could be tapped into the acrylic. Does anybody know where I could find something?

Second question: With the constant addition of air bubbles from a recirc mod venturi, does the air have to be vented to prevent air pressure from building up?

Last edited:
goochesfish--- i think the reason that its raised is because asm's seem to work best in like 6-7" of water....to deep i think it cant pull enough air down cause of pressure and what not.

anyone put sicce pump on it...or a ehiem? if so what pumps did you use?

Last edited:

I had the gate valve, had the same issues, along with it being noisy and surging. I also removed it.
However it never seemed I was able to "tune" it by using the riser tube. I also hated the foam sleeve. I really feel it is a major nitrate factory.
I picked up a pvc cross (4 way) to replace the 90 leading from the riser tube to the gate valve. The fitting on the top got a short piece of pvc. The gate valve went on one side of it, and from the gate valve I put a 90, short piece of pipe and another 90, so the fitting sits right below the water surface. I drilled a couple of small holes in the pipe right along the edge of the 90 (the holes are right above the water surface).Out of the other side of the cross I put another 90, short piece of pipe, and a FPT fitting which ends right above the water's surface. I also picked up a couple different sized threaded reducing hosed barb fittings.
I also cut a couple of inched off the skimmer's riser tube.
I played with the choice of barbed fittings to find which would allow the majority of the water to flow through it, while still restricting some. So the gate valve is always at least halfway closed.
The control I have over the consistency of the skimmate is amazing. And I've never had the skimmer have one of those wacky overflows since doing this (as long as I remember to open the gate valve all the way when I do water changes) . It's much easier than needing to adjust the riser tube. Not to mention no wet hands.

I had the gate valve, had the same issues, along with it being noisy and surging. I also removed it.
However it never seemed I was able to "tune" it by using the riser tube. I also hated the foam sleeve. I really feel it is a major nitrate factory.
I picked up a pvc cross (4 way) to replace the 90 leading from the riser tube to the gate valve. The fitting on the top got a short piece of pvc. The gate valve went on one side of it, and from the gate valve I put a 90, short piece of pipe and another 90, so the fitting sits right below the water surface. I drilled a couple of small holes in the pipe right along the edge of the 90 (the holes are right above the water surface).Out of the other side of the cross I put another 90, short piece of pipe, and a FPT fitting which ends right above the water's surface. I also picked up a couple different sized threaded reducing hosed barb fittings.
I also cut a couple of inched off the skimmer's riser tube.
I played with the choice of barbed fittings to find which would allow the majority of the water to flow through it, while still restricting some. So the gate valve is always at least halfway closed.
The control I have over the consistency of the skimmate is amazing. And I've never had the skimmer have one of those wacky overflows since doing this (as long as I remember to open the gate valve all the way when I do water changes) . It's much easier than needing to adjust the riser tube. Not to mention no wet hands.
Could you please post a pic?

Pics

img016.jpg

Tried to get a shot of how it sits in the sump

img014.jpg

And a pic of the return where the holes are drilled.

img013.jpg

The end with the barbed fitting is below the water surface.

The skimmer is a G3 w recirc mod.

Back