ASM Skimmer Club!

Here's a pic of my skimmer 7 hours after completely breaking it down and cleaning thinking this would solve the problem but it didnt. U guys think i should replce the pump? After cleaning i ran the pump by itself for a hour and didnt see any problems it ran fine but here's a pic of my skimmer and where the water level is inside..

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
Your sitting too deep in the water,,someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think 6-7 inches is best, maybe even 4-5 inches. Just use inert material to put under it to bring it up. I use PVC cut to lenght needed in my case 4" and be sure to drill holes in it to prevent dead zones then cut you some egg grate to fit in your sump. Stand the 4" PVC straight up, lay the egg grate on top of it to make a shelf, then set the skimmer onto the shelf. Works great and fairly easy to change PVC so you can experiment with the depth. Good luck, Robert

Can't get the mesh mod to work!

Can't get the mesh mod to work!

I have G4x and did the mesh mod as described throughout this thread but within a day or two at best, the material I use gets shredded.

I have used: Enkamat, gutter guard, 3M scrub pads, etc. I use wire ties to secure the material to the disk.

Any ideas?

Here's a pic of my skimmer 7 hours after completely breaking it down and cleaning thinking this would solve the problem but it didnt. U guys think i should replce the pump? After cleaning i ran the pump by itself for a hour and didnt see any problems it ran fine but here's a pic of my skimmer and where the water level is inside..

I have read that 8-10" is best.

I keep mine in 8-9" and it is working well at that depth.

I have G4x and did the mesh mod as described throughout this thread but within a day or two at best, the material I use gets shredded.

I have used: Enkamat, gutter guard, 3M scrub pads, etc. I use wire ties to secure the material to the disk.

Any ideas?

Are you really using wire? Doesn't it rust? I used zip ties to secure enkemat and mine is holding up for 2 months so far.

Any ideas?

honestly it must be the way you are doing the mod if it falls apart that fast. i have been mesh modding my pumps for along time and they usually last for about 6 months before i need to replace the mesh. i use PF4 Flat back enka mat wich seems to work the best for me. i use 3 layers and sometimes even 4 layers depending on the pump.

can you get some pictures of the wheel and the wheel modded?

looks like it is in too much water in that picture. it also looks like you are not pulling any bubles at all? is this true? if so you could have seals that are bad or your venturi is clogged up. some times the venturi gets cloged and the stuff inside it is rock hard. find a drill bit abit bigger then the venturi hole and drill it out some. this will actually allow it to suck even more air in and allow the skimmer to function better. thats a very simple mod to do, but if that doesnt fix your problem then look into the seals on the pump.

Would the G1X be too small to run on a 135g tank? Thanks...

yes, it would be under sized IMO... i have a G1X on a 58g tank with 30g sump. the tank is pretty stocked but not heavily stocked and i feel this is the max for this skimmer. i would look into a bigger model or a different skimmer all together.

I tried replacing my Sedra 9000 (ASM G4+) with a Sicce 2500. Very disappointed. far less bubbles than my Sedra (mesh mod). Anyone else compared the two ? Is it just that I got a bad Sicce 2500 ?

thxs

the seadra 9000 is alot bigger pump then the sicce 2500. the sicce 2500 is the perfect pump to replace the sedra 3500. it will not properly run your G4.

That stock pump on a G1 would have been much smaller than a Sedra 9000. I am trying to get a comparison between the Sicce 2500 and the Sedra 9000. From my experience the Sedra with mesh mod is twice as effective as the Sicce. Anyone have similar experience ?

Thxs

comparing the sedra 9000 to the sicce 2500 is like comparing an apple to an orange. you would have to run at least 2 sicce 2500 pumps to push the same amount of water that the sedra 9000 pushes. this is why your skimmer does not run properly with the sicce 2500 pump.

Thanks guys, I kinda had that feeling. I have been wanting to try the reef octopus, so I'll just use my ASM on my Solana... Thanks again....

I've had the ASM G-3 on my 120 for 3 years and has worked great. Really cranks out the crap, hard to hold my lunch though when cleaning it. Mesh modded a year ago. I'm going to raise it up some as it sets in 10" of water now. I'll try to post a pic.
October08005-2.jpg

October08001-2.jpg

i have the g3 1.5 yrs , was working great !!! no mods . now the other day i took it out and cleaned it out . i dont know why i did it but i did , now its really not skimming anything , i have the pipe almost up to the top of the cup , before it was near the bottom . its been a week now . still near the top and hardly skimming . help please

Just got a used G1 with a Sedra 3500 pump with needle wheel. I have read a lot of this thread, and maybe I missed it, but has anybody tried any mods to the pump? I fired it up in an extra tank and started with 6" water and moved on up incrementally to 9". Hooked up to my dwyer meter there was no difference. Then I drilled out the venturi air line, again no difference. Then I took out the volute and dremeled the transition for the pump output and smoothed it out with some wet/dry sandpaper. That one little mod took my airflow from around 7 to about 14 scfh. I'm afraid if I try mesh it will be too much air for the neck. Does anyone know how much air a 2 1/2" neck can handle?

i have the g3 1.5 yrs , was working great !!! no mods . now the other day i took it out and cleaned it out . i dont know why i did it but i did , now its really not skimming anything , i have the pipe almost up to the top of the cup , before it was near the bottom . its been a week now . still near the top and hardly skimming . help please

bump ^^^^^^^

I have an old g1x the pump just quit. What pump should I get for it what will it take if I change it out. Should I save my money and buy a better skimmer? It has a recerc mod now. Please help me because I need to do something quick.

After modding my sedra 3500 in my g1x, I would not look for a different pump. It is pushing 21scfh through my skimmer. I think its actually a bit too much in fact. I have no start up problems, runs quietly.

Back