ASM Skimmer Club!

Oh thank you!!! That's exactly what I need! Although I notice that the G4 and G4X bulkheads are different. I am not sure which model I have. Maybe I'll just get one of each and find out after the fact. (And I've looked at the measurement chart - I'm still not sure which I have.)

I bought the setup turnkey and used because the tank and canopy were exactly what I was looking for. (I'm, um, petite, and needed a canopy I could very easily access because I was tired of the hoist-canopy-jam-2x4-in method of tank access.

And no, there isn't enough clearance. There's about 7.5" of clearance from the top of the sump to the bottom of the tank, and I need a full 8" to get it out. So close, but maddening! And trust me, I've maneuvered it all over trying to find a way to get it out. (The sump is a baffled 75g over a 230g custom Oceanic.) The prior owner advised that it was the biggest skimmer he could fit in the sump, but that I'd better make sure it was in before setting the tank on the stand. Which is why it's in there in the first place. I thought ex-husband was going to do something about it, but he never got around to it. Just one of many things he never got around to.

Anyway, thanks!
Also, do I really need the foam thing?

Ok, looked at the measurement chart again, and it's closer to 24" than 30" so I'm going to assume it's a G4.

The prior owner was running a 9000 on it - should I get that or the standard 5000? (The price being virtually the same). I'm not mechanically inclined enough to drill out the magnet, so I've resigned myself to a new pump.

Something I am going to do is install a drain from the collection cup, because that makes it a lot easier!

I'm so disapointed. I bought a new pump and it seams to be working the skimmer is just not sucking air like it used to. I remember that it used to be loud it sucked so much air now I can hardly hear it and It is barely producing bubbles do you guys have any idea what is wrong with it?

Goochesfish, thanks so much! The pump came today - I didn't realize that it just fit together that easily. My latest problem is that I ordered to 9000, which is the pump I got with it, not realizing that the hole on the side of the simmer is precisely drilled for a 5000. So now I have to come up with a solution to that. I suppose the easiest would be to exchange the 9000, but I may be able to rig up the skimmer an extra half-inch with some foam or something. Sigh.

Ok, problem solved - a couple layers of eggcrate, and VOILA! Correct height!

I have bubbles!

Now, is it really as simple as adjusting the height of the pipe to dial in how wet or dry I want it? Sure would be nice if there was an actual manual! (This forum is sufficing, though)

Thanks again!

Yes, but the pipe is touchy and a mm too low, nothing comes out. Too high and the cup fills in minutes. PIA. I got the gate valve mod but I have no room in the skimmer chamber for it.

Whats up ASM guys, I have joined the club and have a few questions..

I have a 29g sump, and will be running an ASM Mini-G, brand new. I'm going to be putting baffles in it to control water height in the skimmer section, but not sure what the water height should be, I see 7-9" inches in water for my skimmer, is that right???

Also, am I able to do the Gate Valve mod on the Mini-G? If so, is there a kit? I didn't find one for the Mini-G, if not, directions on how to do it for the Mini? THanks everyone!

Why does the pump have difficulty restarting with 3 layers of enkemat? When i placed 2 layers, start up was easy. Where does it get held up?

I've had my ASM-G2 for five years now. Great skimmer. I just recently purchased a new Sedra 3500, the old one was having trouble restarting.

How are people running these skimmers? Wet or Dry? I've done both, but mostly dry.

I have a used mesh modded ASM G3 that I picked up for my 120 that I'm about to set-up. I plan on running one drain line from the display directly to the skimmer in my sump. Looking for some input on how best to set it up (option 1 or option 2):

1) Run the drain line directly to the mesh modded pump

Or

2) Do the recirc mod and have the drain line feed into the skimmer body about half way up.

I'm not planning on doing the gate valve mod right now.

So i just got a used g-1x and bought a new sedra 3500 pump. I set it up and something is not right. I have the skimmer set as low as it will go and it overflows immediately. It also produces so many bubbles that my sump and display are full of bubbles. What am I doing wrong? I have attached some pics so you can see what I am talking about.
Ty

http://tyronius.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=100_1880

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

Last edited:
So i just got a used g-1x and bought a new sedra 3500 pump. I set it up and something is not right. I have the skimmer set as low as it will go and it overflows immediately. It also produces so many bubbles that my sump and display are full of bubbles. What am I doing wrong? I have attached some pics so you can see what I am talking about.
Ty

http://tyronius.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=100_1880

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

Looks like you need to raise the skimmer , so it is sitting in less water. How deep do you have it?

I have a used mesh modded ASM G3 that I picked up for my 120 that I'm about to set-up. I plan on running one drain line from the display directly to the skimmer in my sump. Looking for some input on how best to set it up (option 1 or option 2):

1) Run the drain line directly to the mesh modded pump

Or

2) Do the recirc mod and have the drain line feed into the skimmer body about half way up.

I'm not planning on doing the gate valve mod right now.

Recirc with separate feed line. The pump needs to be able to "pull" the water into itself, thereby creating the venturi to get the bubbles. If you feed the pump from the tank, you will be forcing water into the pump.
If you choose to feed the skimmer directly from the overflow, you will need to set up a line coming off of the return to feed the skimmer. Otherwise the skimmer will be nearly impossible to tune.

Just an update. I posted some questions about some mods that I did to see if they seemed like a worth while mod. I didnt get much response but here is my uptdate since doing these mods.
As for the mods I did they were very simple. I just drilled a hole in the skimmer cup lid to relieve pressure and aid the foam to bubble over the rim. I also put a coupler, small piece of pipe and and an elbow on the intake to direct the flow downward to take advantage of the lower half of the skimmer and reduce turbulance within the skimmer.
With these mods alone I get at least double the skimmate and noticed a significant reduction in cyno and surface film.
In my mind these mods helped my skimmer function a lot better, produce more skimmate and only cost me about $2.

Recirc with separate feed line. The pump needs to be able to "pull" the water into itself, thereby creating the venturi to get the bubbles. If you feed the pump from the tank, you will be forcing water into the pump.
If you choose to feed the skimmer directly from the overflow, you will need to set up a line coming off of the return to feed the skimmer. Otherwise the skimmer will be nearly impossible to tune.

Thanks. I had dry plumbed the skimmer with the recirc mod, but hadn't thought about tuning it. When you say "you will need to set up a line coming off the return to feed the skimmer", do you mean off of the return pump line to the skimmer? Or can I just T off the drain line running to the skimmer, and put a ball valve off the T to regulate how much flow from the drain runs into the skimmer, with the rest just emptying into the skimmer area of the sump?

Just an update. I posted some questions about some mods that I did to see if they seemed like a worth while mod. I didnt get much response but here is my uptdate since doing these mods.
As for the mods I did they were very simple. I just drilled a hole in the skimmer cup lid to relieve pressure and aid the foam to bubble over the rim. I also put a coupler, small piece of pipe and and an elbow on the intake to direct the flow downward to take advantage of the lower half of the skimmer and reduce turbulance within the skimmer.
With these mods alone I get at least double the skimmate and noticed a significant reduction in cyno and surface film.
In my mind these mods helped my skimmer function a lot better, produce more skimmate and only cost me about $2.

Any pictures of these mods?

When you say "you will need to set up a line coming off the return to feed the skimmer", do you mean off of the return pump line to the skimmer? Or can I just T off the drain line running to the skimmer, and put a ball valve off the T to regulate how much flow from the drain runs into the skimmer, with the rest just emptying into the skimmer area of the sump?

Sorry. Not too clear, was I? I meant a line coming off your tank's drain. I don't know if I would use a tee though. You want to try to get a consistent, bubble-free feed to the skimmer. All the air/bubbles mixed in with the water draining would probably cause an inconsistent water feed rate to the skimmer. Try setting up something like pictured here.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/diy-projects/2001-my-uber-skimmer-asm-g-3-modification.html

Scroll down to the last pic in one of his posts. (I would put a valve above the feed line,and after the Y fitting though, to have control over the feed input to the skimmer. Maybe go with a larger feed line also, esp if you put the valve on.)

It looks like the water level in the skimmer might be too high. I'd try moving it up to 7-7.5", then lowering it a little at a time if needed. The added height will create back pressure and also allow for more air to be pulled into the skimmer, resulting in less water flow through the skimmer and a lower water height within the skimmer..
Are you sure there is no blockage anywhere in the outflow assembly? That would cause the overflow issue.
You mentioned you have the outflow tube adjusted down as far as it will go? You may need to cut a little of of it. I had to on mine to get the gate valve mod to work.
The sponge in the pic looks pretty dirty. Have you cleaned it lately? Have you tried running the skimmer with the sponge removed? A clogged sponge will cause an increase in the actual outflow height of the skimmer, not to mention a mini nitrate factory.
It doesn't look like you have very much room, but I'd try to get the outflow (sponge ) farther away form the side of our sump. Looks like a potential way for water to get out of the sump.
Hard to tell from the pics, but are there bubbles being released from the pump into the sump also? If so you need to get a better connection between the pump and the skimmer.

Back