ASM Skimmer Club!

Here's pix of my mod:
parts.jpg

modded.jpg

Hello just joined the asm club. I just bought a used ASM G2 skimmer off of craigslist for $30. It works great, today I think I am going to do the gate valve mod. Maybe in a few weeks I will do the mesh mod.

You got a good deal there Fishey... Nice seeing you get around ;)

Scot, yours should work fine. I would consider adding some pipe to the exit elbow. The way you have it set up will be loud. My G4 was set up just like your skimmer and the thing sounded like a draining bathtub! Adjusting yours will be touchy. I just saw that your T is located on the skimmers raiser tube. This will create more back pressure in the skimmer and cause the water level to be higher in the skimmer body. I would add a piece of pipe directly to the T, just like cheribfish did in the first pics of his/her post, and eliminate the raiser tube completly. Good luck.

thinking about doing the gave valve mod. is the skimmer output (after the 90 bend) supposed to be in the water? is there a benefit (like reduce splashing/bubbles)?

thinking about doing the gave valve mod. is the skimmer output (after the 90 bend) supposed to be in the water? is there a benefit (like reduce splashing/bubbles)?

If it terminates under the water, you'll have no noise. These skimmers suck for having their outlet so high up. Besides that I think they're good skimmers.

Here's pix of my mod:
parts.jpg

modded.jpg

Ok.. perhaps someone can help me here.. I'm in the club, but a wall flower. :) Tank is a 180 with med bioload, and a 75 gallon sump (holds about 50 gallons... skimmer sits in about 8-10 inches of water...

I bought my skimmer already "modded" mine looks just like your second pic.. only the turn wheel is on top. And doesn't extend so far down...

I have the sedra 5000, and I have a couple problems you guys might can help me with! I hope!!! Skimmer is a G3.

Ok, I see no difference no matter how much I twist and turn the red knob.

I'm pulling super thick skimmate. I'd like to pull wetter skimmate, but moving the knob makes no difference..... what to do?

Also, I have a microbubble issue, but I know what's causing the bulk of it. Bear with me. Ok, pump sits on bottom of sump, but the pump elbow doesn't sit at the same level as the skimmer body input. Instead, the previous owner (granted I've run it this way for a year) put a pvc tube (7 inches) on the output of the pump elbow, and it slides (VERY LOOSE!) into the skimmer body port. This allows the pump to be on the bottom of the sump, the skimmer to be on the bottom of the sump, and the two connect. Problem is that there is a gap between the size of the pvc and the skimmer body, which is allowing micro bubbles to escape, and I'm sure it's cutting down production.

I have fiddled with placing eggcrate under thepump and butting it against the skimmer body, that works, but still not as well as a nice tight seal would. Is there a piece I'm missing? What would be your recommendation??????????????????

Thank you!!!!!!!! Sorry no pics right now... Ok, and if it's pertinent, the sump is in the stand under the display. The pump and skimmer body must be able to disconnect in order to remove for maintenance..... The space between the sump and the stand don't allow for a permanent connection.

Ok.. perhaps someone can help me here.. I'm in the club, but a wall flower. :) Tank is a 180 with med bioload, and a 75 gallon sump (holds about 50 gallons... skimmer sits in about 8-10 inches of water...

I bought my skimmer already "modded" mine looks just like your second pic.. only the turn wheel is on top. And doesn't extend so far down...

I have the sedra 5000, and I have a couple problems you guys might can help me with! I hope!!! Skimmer is a G3.

Ok, I see no difference no matter how much I twist and turn the red knob.

I'm pulling super thick skimmate. I'd like to pull wetter skimmate, but moving the knob makes no difference..... what to do?

Also, I have a microbubble issue, but I know what's causing the bulk of it. Bear with me. Ok, pump sits on bottom of sump, but the pump elbow doesn't sit at the same level as the skimmer body input. Instead, the previous owner (granted I've run it this way for a year) put a pvc tube (7 inches) on the output of the pump elbow, and it slides (VERY LOOSE!) into the skimmer body port. This allows the pump to be on the bottom of the sump, the skimmer to be on the bottom of the sump, and the two connect. Problem is that there is a gap between the size of the pvc and the skimmer body, which is allowing micro bubbles to escape, and I'm sure it's cutting down production.

I have fiddled with placing eggcrate under thepump and butting it against the skimmer body, that works, but still not as well as a nice tight seal would. Is there a piece I'm missing? What would be your recommendation??????????????????

Thank you!!!!!!!! Sorry no pics right now... Ok, and if it's pertinent, the sump is in the stand under the display. The pump and skimmer body must be able to disconnect in order to remove for maintenance..... The space between the sump and the stand don't allow for a permanent connection.
I might be able to help you with the "loose connection". Hopefully a uniseal will do the job. You need to measure the diameter of the hole in the skimmer body and measure the diameter of the pipe that is connected to the pump elbow. Could you show a picture(s)? As far as I know (without seeing a pic), both your skimmer and pump can sit on the bottom of your sump.

Here's a picture of a uniseal:

http://www.saltycritter.com/plumbing.htm

down the page a little.

my unmodded g2 is been running for about two weeks now and is working great, dark green thick gunk!!

Hello, I am ordering the G2 for my 120, and I was wondering how they worked without all the mod's talked about here. Was it hard to get the outlet pipe adjusted. Thanks Joe

You could try making the length of the exit tube longer so it terminates further under the water line in the sump. For the pump, if it's rattling, u could put some material underneath it and the skimmer. I used to buy the biggest diameter vinyle tubing I could find. Then I would slit it down the middle and superglue to whatever I needed to make quiet. Can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

When I get a chance I turn off everything except the skimmer's recirculating pump and see how loud it is. If I remember right, the pump has a hum to it which is part of the noise and I think the rest is from the recirculating output. Does anyone else have the recirc mod?

Oops, moved pics, here ya go.
105_1492.jpg

105_1494.jpg

Rough it in with a dremel, and smooth out any rough edges with some wet/dry sandpaper.

It doesnt look like you dremeled out that much material. I think I'm going to try this... any idea what would happen if I dremeled out a little too much?

Do you have a pic of how you dremeled the air intake hole?

Back