ASM Skimmer Club!

I took it back apart and added the venturi back in - that made the difference. Much more bubbles now! this is finally the skimmer I have been wanting, just needed to do a couple mods and get this thing really pulling some gunk.

My asm g4 is putting alot of bubbles into my tank, The only thing I changed was I did a small dose 1ml of vodka and thats was three days ago. Ive just been leaving the skimmer off for now. Its also powered by a sedra 9000

Please anybody

My sedra burned out and looking at replacing it with a sicce.
Wondering if upgraging the impeller is a good idea. MarineDepot is selling them with the stock impeller or with the ATB purple impeller or the octopus white impeller.
Does anybody have any experience with different impellers in the sicce pump?

Have another question.
I have the G2, will the sicce 2500 be too big for the skimmer?
Only saw the G3's with the sicce 2500.
I have read many pages of this thread and cant find the answer, and tired of reading.
Thanks for the help.

I've read on Marinedepot some of the Sicce 2500 reviews and a couple people say they've used them on their G2's. My buddy is trying a new skimmer sometime in the next couple months and I'm going to try his Sicce 2500, which is on his current skimmer. So, whenever I do, I'll post my results.

I've got a G3 recirculation mod with a sedra 5000. I've drilled a second hole for this mod so I'm trying to find out if the sicce 2500 can be made to fit these holes. I'm also trying to find the size of these two pumps. I would like to switch my g3 to sit cross wise in my stand and space is a major issue. I can't find any measurements on Google at all.

The Sicce can be made to fit, I just took it off my G3 and put the Sedra back on. it is actually very easy.

My tank cant go any longer without a skimmer, so I purchased the sicce with the RD impeller.
Since I cant find a difinitive answer, I thought I would be the one to find out first hand if it works or not.
Will report back how it works out.

Mine is recirc with gate valve. I will try and take pics of it tomorrow so you can see. It is all simple plumbing items but you may have to get creative depending on where your holes are.

I have a G2 that I am going to try to revive. My plan is to order a Sicce 2500 with the white octopus impeller. I may attempt a recirc mod with this pump. If anyone has experience with this pump... the different impellers... and the recirc mod with the sicce... please throw up a post and give me any of your thoughts on it

Thanks

sicce pump

sicce pump

I am running one on my G3 with a red dragon impellar from Aquarium Specialty. It works well on my 90gal reef tank. It works well.

I have a G2 that I am going to try to revive. My plan is to order a Sicce 2500 with the white octopus impeller. I may attempt a recirc mod with this pump. If anyone has experience with this pump... the different impellers... and the recirc mod with the sicce... please throw up a post and give me any of your thoughts on it

Thanks
I don't think you can do the recirc with the sicce's venturi being the way it is. For the recirc, the free end of the venturi has to be stuck into a uniseal and that uniseal is mounted between the inside and outside of the skimmer's body.

With the Sicce, the air inlet of the venturi is right at the end of the venturi and it keeps the venturi from being inserted into the uniseal.

With the Sicce, the air inlet of the venturi is right at the end of the venturi and it keeps the venturi from being inserted into the uniseal.

Thanks Cherubfish, just by looking at the pump I was think that would be the case. I wasn't sure if it was possible to build/add/modify the intake of the pump and incorporate the venturi as well. On the other hand, I wasn't looking forward to cutting into my skimmer body anyway. Which impeller are you using and how do you like it as far as noise and foam production?

So I just picked up a ASM G1X Skimmer for cheap($60.00). It works great and is in "like new" condition. It has zero mods on it and has the 3500 pump. I'm wondering if there is a way to damper the air inlet noise?. I'm considering just foaming the inside of the stand to keep it silent as its in the living room, but thought I would ask if anyone has any solutions to it without affecting the peformance. Its already pulled 3-4" of really dark skimmate by 6am this morning since I put it online friday night at 10pm. Also considering the Gate Valve, but I'm not sure on modify'n the impeller at all yet.

Thanks
Conrad

Last edited:
I don't think you can do the recirc with the sicce's venturi being the way it is. For the recirc, the free end of the venturi has to be stuck into a uniseal and that uniseal is mounted between the inside and outside of the skimmer's body.

My Sicce has the Aquamaxx venturi on it and modifying it was easy. a 3/4" pvc coupling is the same size (1-1/4") as the uniseal on my G3, it was as simple as gluing it to the face of the venturi.

My G3 was recirc by ASM, so I already had the sweep elbow, the Sicce oulet is threaded for 3/4" pipe but my elbow is just slightly larger than the outer diameter of the outlet, a few wraps of teflon tape made up the difference and provided a nice tight seal and kept the height correct. I added a pc of 1" thinwall pipe to enter the body with, and this complete the loop.

This was an easy mod but the performance is not really better than the Sedra. I have since put the Sedra back on.

So I just picked up a ASM G1X Skimmer for cheap($60.00). It works great and is in "like new" condition. It has zero mods on it and has the 3500 pump. I'm wondering if there is a way to damper the air inlet noise?. I'm considering just foaming the inside of the stand to keep it silent as its in the living room, but thought I would ask if anyone has any solutions to it without affecting the peformance. Its already pulled 3-4" of really dark skimmate by 6am this morning since I put it online friday night at 10pm. Also considering the Gate Valve, but I'm not sure on modify'n the impeller at all yet.

Thanks
Conrad
Good price! IDK about dampening noise, I think it comes from inside the venturi. Foaming up the inside could cause heat issues. Gate valve is superior to standpipe. I don't dare mod the pinwheel on my Sedra 5000, don't know enough about the mods.

Back