ASM Skimmer Club!

I use the PVC "capsule" for silencer on my G2 with Sed 5000 works great.
note I dont take credit for the silencer I found the plans here on RC

silencervj6.jpg

capsule on air tubing
Skimmergunk.jpg

Skimmer production with Sed 5000 :)

2010-10-04_19-45-03_365.jpg

Thats a great Idea. THANKS! I will be doing that tonight to the skimmer and seems very easy, just air line tubing on the other side running to wherever it looks like?? I sell pvc and those parts at my work here

Thanks
Conrad

FYI the airline tubing on the "top" of the capsule is only about 4 in long, I wouldnt make it much longer as you might reduce air to the skimmer.

I came across a G2 I think might be a G3. The sedra pump was dead. I bought a eheim 1103 from premiumaquatics and it works great. It took about a week to break in good, but I plan on using it on a 125g Really pleased with this skimmer and the pump. I've had more expensive skimmers but I like the simple approach

i bought a used G4 from some one... what is the needed water level and does anyone know where i can find a manual?

I also have a G2 with a sedra 5000(pump from G3/G4) and it produces some really foul smelling skimmate. I've just been experiencing some problems with surging when I cut the pump off and back on again. I did just change the collection cup to skimmer neck o ring and used a very liberal amount of the silicone lubricant for it. This was about 4 days ago. Do you think this is why I am having the surging problem? I also drilled my venturi out one size larger from 9/64 to 5/32. Instead of the translucent color the body use to have its now like trying to look through a bowl of milk.

What do you mean by surging? Is it the foam level? If so, it could be the lubricant. I have to shut off my skimmer when I first change my filter sock or the skimmer just pushes the water right into the cup. After about 10 minutes and it's fine.

I also increased the size of my air tube. I just used a 3/4" Coupling and drilled it for a 3/8" i.d. barb, then grinded out the inside threads of the barb and put a 3/4" x 1/2" reducer on the free side, as my new Sedra 3500 venturi. It's is much louder and is definitely sucking way more air. Maybe too much.

My skimmer body was cloudy due to build up and some scratches from the bushes I've used to clean it. It got much cleaner since I gave it a vinegar bath. But it seams normal.

What do you mean by surging? Is it the foam level? If so, it could be the lubricant. I have to shut off my skimmer when I first change my filter sock or the skimmer just pushes the water right into the cup. After about 10 minutes and it's fine.

I also increased the size of my air tube. I just used a 3/4" Coupling and drilled it for a 3/8" i.d. barb, then grinded out the inside threads of the barb and put a 3/4" x 1/2" reducer on the free side, as my new Sedra 3500 venturi. It's is much louder and is definitely sucking way more air. Maybe too much.

My skimmer body was cloudy due to build up and some scratches from the bushes I've used to clean it. It got much cleaner since I gave it a vinegar bath. But it seams normal.

yea its the foam head. It will have tons of microbubbles and they don't pop then it will start to make the bigger foamy popping bubbles and then go right back to the tons of microbubbles. I think it is the lubricant and it will take a week or more to get it back to properly working.

I added some media to my skimmer. It's called soda-lime by the chemical name and reefers call it CO2 Scrubber. I connected my venturi line to the canister with a cartridge full of the stuff. As the venturi's suction pulls air through the media, it takes CO2 out of the air going through the filter into the skimmer and greatly raises pH without adding chemicals to the water. No more measuring then dosing.

Here's my 6 page thread with setting up ozone and the scrubber to my ASM G3:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888470

irfdscrubber001.jpg

Could your venturi mod be done in a recirculation mod fashion?
PPP (please provide pictures)

If I get a chance to put it appart, I'll take some photos of the new venturi. Not sure if it makes it any better, may be too much air.

Has anybody replaced the 'O' rings? I've owned mine for about 6 years, second sedra 3500 and a few impellers, but never changed the 'O' rings. They both leak a little, but I'd have to mail order them.

My G-2 jsut seams to have stopped dry skimming. It will wet skim so greenish semi-clear liquid fairly quickly, but dry skimming is almost non-existant. Anybody else experience this?

If I get a chance to put it appart, I'll take some photos of the new venturi. Not sure if it makes it any better, may be too much air.

Has anybody replaced the 'O' rings? I've owned mine for about 6 years, second sedra 3500 and a few impellers, but never changed the 'O' rings. They both leak a little, but I'd have to mail order them.

My G-2 jsut seams to have stopped dry skimming. It will wet skim so greenish semi-clear liquid fairly quickly, but dry skimming is almost non-existant. Anybody else experience this?
If you have a new pump it is pushing more air and water than it used to. I'd suggest lowering your water level in skimmer by lowering the exit riser pipe. it should skim dryer then. You have to play around with it a little to find the sweet spot

I have run the skimmer for days with the old pump, the new pump, with a med mod impeller and without a mesh mod impeller with the foam level in all different heights within the cups inner tube. But it barely pulls anything.

When the foam level is low (dry skimming) it only really puts junk on the inside of the cups inner tube and never really gets much into the actual cup. It seams that the only way to get much into the actual cup, is to raise the outlet tube up so high that the foam is between 1/2" - 1" below the top of the cups inner tube (wet skimming). This will get me a couple inches of greenish semi transparent junk in a few days. I have tried all different foam levels in between, but not much luck. I can go months and only pull a 1/4" of junk in the cup with between settings.

It just doesn't seam to put the black dark crude that it used to. Within a 1/2 hour after rinsing the cup, the foam with start making the cup dirty again.

My 'O' ring seals do leak a little, not sure if that would reduce performance. Maybe air is being sucked into the body and messing up the mixture.

OK. I just spoke with ASM and they said that my skimmer is working as it should. He says that it just means that my skimmer has already pulled the majority of the protein out of the water and that it's sized perfectly for my setup.

Does the water level the skimmer is in fluctuate height? When i added the new pump to mine it took a couple weeks to break in. I'm pretty pleased with it. It is a eheim 1103 and my riser tube is halfway up the cone from the body to the cup

No, the water level is consistant and regulated with the baffles. The new pump is now about 9 months old, so not so new. Just newer than the original 6 year old pump, which still works fine. Just got a new one, since I thought that was my performance issue.

Back