Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya shes wonderful, my 75 broke se now were setting up a 210 family tank (but none of them no anything bout tanks). I really hope I can return it though, now I just need to find a chiller thats as quiet since i cant really plum it outside

Just received a BK300 External. It replaced an H&S A150 that was a bit undersized for my loan. OMG is this thing huge!

It's also stone cold silent compared to the H&S. I've got a couple of questions if anyone knows:

Just received a BK300 External. It replaced an H&S A150 that was a bit undersized for my loan. OMG is this thing huge!

It's also stone cold silent compared to the H&S. I've got a couple of questions if anyone knows:

1. Can the exhaust pipe be run submerged to eliminate the sound of falling water? This was simply not possible with the H&S skimmers as it would cause them to overflow.

2. Where should I set the "water/bubble" interface line during the break in period? Bottom of cup? Midway? 1" from Top? I'm at the bottom of cup now to play it safe and not have an overflow.

3. Anyone use Ozone in a BK. I have an ozonizer on a controller but don't really want to mess up an $2,100 skimmer by making it brittle with ozone. Anyone have any experiences here.

One odd thing that happened since I hooked this baby up was my pH rose from 7.95 to 8.12 in about 3 hours. I run a GEO Ca Reactor with Schuran type media that requires a reactor pH of 6.5 to properly dissolve and this was really keeping my tank pH just below 8.

Is the new skimmer with it's killer aeration boosting the pH into the good zone? I think I've read somewhere that aeration does increase pH or at least helps blow off the CO2 from the reactor. If this is the case then I just received an unexpected but great benefit as the coraline algae just doesn't like this low pH.

Joined the Club!

Joined the Club!

I just bought and installed a BK300 External. It replaced an H&S A150 that was a bit undersized for my bioload and tank. OMG is this thing huge! It's also stone cold silent compared to the H&S.

I've got a couple of questions if anyone wants to chime in:

1. Can the exhaust pipe be run submerged to eliminate the sound of falling water? This is simply not possible with the H&S skimmers as it would cause them to overflow.

2. Where should I set the "water/bubble" break level during the break in period? Bottom of cup? Midway? 1" from Top? I'm at the bottom of cup now to play it safe and not have an overflow.

3. Anyone use Ozone in a BK. I have an ozonizer on a controller but don't really want to mess up an $2,100 skimmer by making it brittle with ozone. Is this really true? I didn't notice any problems feeding the H&S with ozone. Anyone have any experiences here?

One odd thing that happened since I hooked this baby up was my pH rose from 7.95 to 8.12 in about 3 hours. I run a GEO Ca Reactor with Schuran type media that requires a reactor pH of around 6.5 to properly dissolve and this was really keeping my tank pH just below 8 which I understand is not uncommon.

Is the new skimmer with it's killer aeration boosting the pH into the good zone as a desireable side effect? I think I've read somewhere that aeration does increase pH or at least helps blow off the CO2 from the reactor. If this is the case then I just received an unexpected, but great benefit, as the coraline algae just doesn't like this low pH and I want it to start growing again.

I'll post pics later. This thing is HUGE.

1. Can the exhaust pipe be run submerged to eliminate the sound of falling water? This is simply not possible with the H&S skimmers as it would cause them to overflow.

No not a good idea. Kills your level adjustment due to siphon issues

3. Anyone use Ozone in a BK. I have an ozonizer on a controller but don't really want to mess up an $2,100 skimmer by making it brittle with ozone. Is this really true? I didn't notice any problems feeding the H&S with ozone. Anyone have any experiences here?

I use it all the time.

Greg, can you tie a filter sock to the drain to dampen the sound of the falling water? I did this on my last skimmer.

Water level at the bottom of the collection cup is good for break in. I actually leave mine just below the bottom of the collection cup when I want to skim dry.

You can run the return pipe submerged, your water level will drop lower due to the back pressure but that is ok. Make sure you keep the pipe submerged at all time. If the return pipe rise above the water level, your protein skimmer will overflow.

2. Where should I set the "water/bubble" break level during the break in period? Bottom of cup? Midway? 1" from Top? I'm at the bottom of cup now to play it safe and not have an overflow.

I would set them at the bottom of the cup. Once the protein skimmer fully break in, the level will rise higher and to prevent overflow

You can run Ozone in the BK, make sure the air exit the top of the protein skimmer being filter by carbon for safety purpose.

I wouldn't run Ozone in my BK even though it may not do any harm to the material.

Thanks guys.

I've set up the outflow to dump into a filter sock to kill the noise and I'll just keep it that way. I think I will hook up the ozone again as it really does work on water clarity and keeping the fish healthy.

I'll just have to let this sucker break in now and watch it work.

Greg, you may not need the ozone. The water clarity in my tank improved after I made a switch over to the BK :)

Re: Joined the Club!

Re: Joined the Club!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12399690#post12399690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gstuman
Is the new skimmer with it's killer aeration boosting the pH into the good zone as a desireable side effect? I think I've read somewhere that aeration does increase pH or at least helps blow off the CO2 from the reactor. If this is the case then I just received an unexpected, but great benefit, as the coraline algae just doesn't like this low pH and I want it to start growing again.

I'll post pics later. This thing is HUGE.

Congrats on the new BK!

I would assume your correct, your new skimmer probably greatly increased the surface area of water exposed to fresh air, bringing your water colunm closer to equilibrium with atmospheric co2.

DSCN3360.jpg

Thanks, Jeremy. That's 5 days worth on a 180g (220 total). I'm not done stocking with fish, so this BK is going to get worked harder in the future :)

My Deluxe 200 was just too big for my 60g + 40g frag system, and fills about that much in a week, but it's much lighter, wetter skim. I knew it was too much, but it was thrown onto this system when the Aquabee on the H&S went bad. So, now I've got a 60g + 125g frag system + 30g sump + 30g fuge/RDSB. Should get more of a workout now!:D

Everything is a frag tank until I move. But yes, I was looking for something larger than the 40b, as it was out of space. Jim's tank was available at the right time, for the right price! I think I'm gonna end up using it as a very large sump/fuge when the 250 goes online.:D

So does anyone elses skim smell so bad that it makes you dry heave?

It is so bad on my BK SM 200 that I hate cleaning it.

:lol: My wife has banned me from even bringing the cup through the house to get to the laundry sink! And that's with wet skim.

SaltyESQ - you just made me gag reading your comment! :lol: How's your SM doing? Any pics to share?
Jeremy - I wait til my wife is out of the house before I clean it. I don't want to hear it! :p

Tried that T. Problem was when she came home over an hour later she thought one of the dogs must have left a present in the house. Then went searching to come up empty. She called me, as I was at the office by then, telling me about how the house reaked, and couldn't figure out why.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back