Bubble King Skimmer Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
To bring the 300 down to Brazil would cost at least USD 800 (assuming that it weights about 40 pounds). The SM 250 would be an extravaganza as it is (USD 400 to ship it).

That is why I want to make sure that it will handle well the 300g system.

The SM250 should handle it. It's rated to 800g. My main concern is if US electricals will work in Brazil. It would be awful to pay that much money, only to find that it doesn't work.

Regarding shipping - that's crazy! I had no idea it costs that much to ship. :eek2: Could you just check in the skimmer as a piece of luggage?

I could check it as luggage but I would have to go to the US....LOL
The official import tax is 60% on top of the price+taxes+shipping.
I am doing it "cheaper" because I know a guy that brings it as luggage, but he charges by kilo, so there it goes.....

OK, gotcha. I thought you were currently in the US, and about to go over. Those import taxes really get you. It's like buying a car in Asia.

FWIW, I really like my SM, but here's a question for you. Without any BK Dealers, what will you do for service, if you ever need it? Just looking out for ya.

Thanks for the consern. I really appreciate it.

The only dealers that we have is for the Deltec and the Octopus. The rest is just not good. However, a Deltec 702 (that costs about USD 2000 in the US retails here for USD 4000. And they will not service items acquired abroad. So I am better of buying a robust equipment that I like and buying a new one when and if it has a problem, fix the first one and sell it.

It is a mess, I know. And since I am a newby, that is why I appreciate all the help and opinions that I can get.

What about this - If you decide to buy a BK, shoot Proline (the US BK distributor) a PM asking what the most common issues are on the skimmer. And order those parts at the same time you order the skimmer. This seems to be a much cheaper alternative than just buying a brand new skimmer if a problem arises. Also, you won't have to wait on the new skimmer to arrive and have a skimmerless tank.

For sure, I'd order an extra (or 2) needlewheels. Not sure what else, though. HTH

I think so. The only thing that could really go wrong is the pump. See what parts of the pump normally require service.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12468926#post12468926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dphins
I understand your point, but you're the diy junkie, you can always try to make something better. Just for the sake of trying something different.

That's true...but I tend to stick to cheaper DIY's :D If I were to drop $2k on a skimmer I would prob leave my hands off of it for awhile...maybe :lol: IMO a good mod for the mini would be to figure out how to get that pump operating OUTSIDE of the skimmer, then you'd have an extra 6-8" of reaction chamber :D:D

I just picked up my mini 180 today and am stoked. This thing is a work of art in my opinion.

I also got it for a great price, $882.00 from my local shop. I will be putting this on my Tech 120 I have had sitting in my garage as I am waiting to figure out which way I want to go with my stand. Its killing me!

Anyway Yeah!
AquariumandBubbleking180436.jpg

AquariumandBubbleking180423.jpg
[/IMG]
AquariumandBubbleking180136.jpg
[/IMG]

AquariumandBubbleking180436.jpg
[/IMG]

NICE!!!

Awesome tank too!

I love the book in the second pic next to the tank thats titled "Outwitting Fish" - LOL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12468951#post12468951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
SM250

Pros:
cheaper
RD2000 pump
shorter (for short stands)
mount pump on side or front. (2 inlet pipes)

Cons:
2 ways to adjust water level (wedge and pump inlet)
Drain is submerged - so constant water level is a must for consistent performance
Limited to where the drain exits as the fixed submerged drainpipe cannot be directed away from the skimmer.

Deluxe 250

Pros:
tried and true
3ways to adjust water level (standpipe and wedge and pump inlet)
Taller - more contact time
Being able to direct water exiting the skimmer any where you want.

Cons
Smaller pump (Rd1500)
More expensive.

Fixed it a little. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back