Cool Fish on Diver's Den

Digital pictures downloaded to a computer. Try naming them all something that can be correctly picked when the ads go up.

Why would they change the picture after the fish sold? And they don't do that for others.

I also have a hard time believing that these listings were for the same pair and that it was cancelled twice and then relisted twice under 3 different item numbers.

What's more likely is that someone at DD decided to use this picture when they can't get good shots of the actual fish.

See the part that says sold on the picture. I do not think that is part of the original picture? Instead of editing each picture it may put up a generic picture when sold. I am not sure how the site works for that or if it is just a layer. I am not a web designer so it is a guess.

See the part that says sold on the picture. I do not think that is part of the original picture? Instead of editing each picture it may put up a generic picture when sold. I am not sure how the site works for that or if it is just a layer. I am not a web designer so it is a guess.
The "this item is sold" is an automatic overlay and not part of the picture. You see that clearly when right-clicking on the picture and saving it to your computer. The saved picture won't have the "this item is sold" banner.
They certainly don't spend time and money on manually editing and updating postings of sold items. Those changes you see on sold items are automated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I thought the preview image was cool looking, don't know if its that cool looking lol

I find Gramma dejongi far more appealing than Peppermint Angels. And given that these dejongi were bred by Biota I don't think they will actually cost the $5.5k each the first US captive bred fetched.

$3k is actually not that bad, though still too much for me. But I'm sure the price will go down to affordable levels within a year or two.
It's definitely a fish I would want if I could afford it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• lg-0905191-315.jpg
    lg-0905191-315.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • lg-0905191-320.jpg
    lg-0905191-320.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
I really like the top one with the more purple. Surprised they are asking the same price for both of them. Haven't spent anywhere near that much on a fish yet.

This is definitely my favorite hybrid I’ve seen of any tang. Fins look like the are glowing. I’m pretty surprised both weren’t sold within a couple mins.

2fa5c5e2e49b6f561d695104d956dcb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the top one with the more purple. Surprised they are asking the same price for both of them. Haven't spent anywhere near that much on a fish yet.

I would think those are male and female. Had it been me, I would have taken both. A single gramma is a sad and rather boring fish, but in a pair or group they behave very differently.

I would have thought it would be gone but still available.
Biota has to be disappointed. I think there is demand and lots of it for this fish just not at this price and especially since it is not the first one. Some will pay allot just to be the first.

It also does not have that color the wild ones have. The color might eventually come in but right now it is not much better than a yellow assessor.

I am guessing it is young so it may color up yet and eventually too they will get better at breeding them.

I would love to get one of these myself... It has been one of my favorites and have been hoping they would come to the hobby eventually.

Last edited:
The issue with breeding Grammas isn't the difficulty of raising the larva which isn't much harder than raising Amphiprion larva. But where Amphiprion produce around every 2 weeks neat and easily collectable clutches of 300 to 3000 eggs, Grammas instead lay a couple of eggs - between 2 and 40 - every day in a rather hidden nest. Unlike with Amphiprion or even Calloplesiops it isn't really feasible to take the whole clutch out and have it hatch in the larva tank. Instead, with Gramma, you have to collect the hatched larva from the broodstock tank every night. And, unless you want to set up a large number of larva tanks, you will have to accomodate larva of different ages in the same tank. All that makes the breeding of Gramma not overly efficient.
But despite of all that I think a price between $150 to $500 is more realistic than what they go right now for.

The issue with breeding Grammas isn't the difficulty of raising the larva which isn't much harder than raising Amphiprion larva. But where Amphiprion produce around every 2 weeks neat and easily collectable clutches of 300 to 3000 eggs, Grammas instead lay a couple of eggs - between 2 and 40 - every day in a rather hidden nest. Unlike with Amphiprion or even Calloplesiops it isn't really feasible to take the whole clutch out and have it hatch in the larva tank. Instead, with Gramma, you have to collect the hatched larva from the broodstock tank every night. And, unless you want to set up a large number of larva tanks, you will have to accomodate larva of different ages in the same tank. All that makes the breeding of Gramma not overly efficient.
But despite of all that I think a price between $150 to $500 is more realistic than what they go right now for.

Agreed.they are one of my favorite fish but I won't be a buyer until they are around $500-$600 a pair. Exciting to see them available at all though.

The remaining 2 of the G. dejongi on DD still haven't sold. I guess the big public aquaria all have theirs by now and the rich buyers who went after this fish as a status symbol either already got theirs long ago or are no longer interested in this fish, now that Tom, Dick, and Harry can buy it. And I guess the right market price where the effort of breeding it is still rewarded has not yet been found.
But this is a fish that needs to be bred in captivity as wild populations are under threat by invasive lionfish who prefer these - likely because due to their bright color they are easier to spot - over the "regular" Gramma.

They are a gorgeous fish but their price is just way over budget for your average hobbyist. I've worked in LFS and wholesale and I don't know a single person that would pay $3000 for a gramma.

Back