DIY Stands Template and Calculator

If one builds a properly framed 48" stand with a solid top (marble, Corian, granite, or the the like) would you be able to put a 36" tank on it even though the tank is not sitting directly above the vertical supports? I would think this could be done because the solid top is distributing the weight to the verticals. Opinions?

Going at it from a cabinet makers perspective no. Stone tops although they seem solid they crack easily if not properly supported. But you can put a 36" tank on a 48" stand if you build it right. Tanks do not have to sit directly above a vertical support they have to be supported.

Don

Going at it from a cabinet makers perspective no. Stone tops although they seem solid they crack easily if not properly supported. But you can put a 36" tank on a 48" stand if you build it right. Tanks do not have to sit directly above a vertical support they have to be supported.

Don

Does this mean just making sure the top horizontal pieces are perfectly flat with good cross braces?

Don

What would that design look like?

Does this mean just making sure the top horizontal pieces are perfectly flat with good cross braces?

Pretty much. If your going to use stone it has to be supported just like a tank its not a way to get out of support. a 36" on a 48" your only 6" on either end.

Don

Any advice?

Any advice?

I'm planing to build a stand for a 15.75 X 7.9 X 11.8 tank (these unusual numbers is only because my tank was built in metric units, the above values are converted to inches). Any advice to do this? Keep in mind that here in Brazil I don't have much resources. That basic scheme found in the beginning of this topic will work in such a small tank?
Thanks in advance

I'm planing to build a stand for a 15.75 X 7.9 X 11.8 tank (these unusual numbers is only because my tank was built in metric units, the above values are converted to inches). Any advice to do this? Keep in mind that here in Brazil I don't have much resources. That basic scheme found in the beginning of this topic will work in such a small tank?
Thanks in advance

It would work but is severe over kill. The problem with a stand that size is they get top heavy. You may better off with a cube stand. Ive done quite a few 12 x 12's and they seem ok on hardwood floors.

Don

It would work but is severe over kill. The problem with a stand that size is they get top heavy. You may better off with a cube stand. Ive done quite a few 12 x 12's and they seem ok on hardwood floors.

Don

Do you have any plan for a cube stand? In this case it should be a 15 x 15, right? I'm already making plans to the 7'' left in the back of the tank.

TY

Do you have any plan for a cube stand? In this case it should be a 15 x 15, right? I'm already making plans to the 7'' left in the back of the tank.

TY

For something so small you really dont need anything but plywood. Something similar to this. The one on the end is 12x12.

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm getting ready to do a stand for a 150gal cube. 36x36, how would you do this, 2x4s be strong enough?

Given that it's only 36" on a side, yes.

This is my design for a 36x18 tank and a 45 inch stand. Would appreciate feedback

tank%20stand.jpg

That would work fine.

Also what do you think about putting an 48" 80gallon tank on a 72 stand built with 2x6s?

If you had legs under each corner of the 48" tank, your good. If you want it fully open, a 2X6 is borderline while a 2X8 is more than enough.

TheFishMan65, I have an improved version of that design (color coded).
StandTemplateDouble.jpg

Neptunehood,
For tanks that small you shouldn't need to support the ends, just the front and back edges like TheFishMan65 said. A third set of verticals in the middle supporting a center rail is plenty.

Will this design work for 40 breeders or are they too big? Not four of them, just two, one on top of the other. I was going to use a piece of plywood for them to sit on, either 3/4" or 1".

Also, the tank on the bottom would need to sit on the orange pieces, the top one on the second level, and I wouldn't need the third level. Any problems with that? Thanks for the help! Great thread.

Last edited:
Will this design work for 40 breeders or are they too big? Not four of them, just two, one on top of the other. I was going to use a piece of plywood for them to sit on, either 3/4" or 1".

Also, the tank on the bottom would need to sit on the orange pieces, the top one on the second level, and I wouldn't need the third level. Any problems with that? Thanks for the help! Great thread.

What you describe is little different from the typical design.

And are the red and yellow 2x6 and the rest 2x4?

For a pair of 36" 40B tanks, 2X4 is all you need.

Hello all I'm a college student that just found out I have to move by sat. I have a 150 gal tank with a crap pine wood stand that has been the bane of my existence. I was wondering If anyone could link me to a design I could use to build a new stand tomorrow. All I have are a hammer, electric drill, screw drivers and a crappy reciprocating saw. I would look for it myself but I don't have the time with the start of classes. Thanks in advance for the help.:)

Tank: 96x48x24 acrylic.

Wood: 2x6.

2 additional supports on long lengths, 1 additional support on short sides, will be adding 3 crossbeams on top held by joist hangers and a plywood skin.

Safe when completed?

adcbrYXN.jpg

Back