Getting discouraged

So I stopped messy with the tank and my second diatom bloom cleared up and so did the water, just like most of you said it would. Thanks again, this site really helps you keep sane. I,m going to put the evolution of my newbie tank up so others in the same boat don't get discouraged, patience really pays off in this hobby
Good to hear! :thumbsup: That will also help you keep track f what's going on in your tank - it's good to keep a log.

You're 25 lbs short of live rock. That's one likely problem. Your ph is a tad low. You don't mention sand volume (75 lbs). But good on getting the problem under control, and if you add any sand, do it slowly.

A yellow watchman is a good moderate sand-cleaner. About 4 Nassarius snails for that size tank.

I know I'm light on rock... But 2/3 rds of the tank is filled with rock and my refugium is also filled with rock. I,m going to have to watch my bio load and monitor nitrates/nitrites, if they come back then more rock will be needed.

I do have 80 lbs of sand which gives me a 4 inch deep sand bed.

I started a log and my ph is at 8, I learned what time of day I measure ph makes a diff

Have you spiked the tank with any bacteria (like api quick start) ?

Are/have you used any ph buffer to help get the ph under control?

You're 25 lbs short of live rock. That's one likely problem. Your ph is a tad low. You don't mention sand volume (75 lbs). But good on getting the problem under control, and if you add any sand, do it slowly.

A yellow watchman is a good moderate sand-cleaner. About 4 Nassarius snails for that size tank.

Can you explain? is it a semi sand sifter? (meaning doesnt make a big mess all over)

Last edited:
No buffer, ph is fine, and I did not use any bacteria in a bottle, I let the tank cycle for two months then added some livestock

Back