Ghost feed?

intyme

50%-50% live rock and dead rock. Do I need to ghost feed? When would I start and why? Since I put in LR won't I get a cycle that way?

thegrun

Team RC
What are you trying to do, start a new aquarium? Cycle the tank? I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

vlapinta

I just started a 40g and put all live rock in it but everything was still reading 0 so I started ghost feeding to get my tank cycling. You need to cycle your tank to build up your biological filter. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2303
In simple terms The food will cause your ammonia to spike which in turn will make your nitrites go up and then turn to nitrates.

intyme

Yes I'm am starting a new tank, sorry didn't explain. I put in half and half LR and dead rock. Wondering if I should ghost feed or just let it go

cloak

I would just let it go. There will probably be some die off from the live rock, which will serve the same purpose as ghost feeding IMO.

vlapinta

I let mine go for @ 2 weeks and nothing was happening. Then I started to ghost feed and within a few days the cycle started.

intyme

Ok, great. I have the patience of a 2 year old lol. I'll just play it out and see what happens