Going LED to T5. Grass is greener on the other side?

for growth there's no doubt my T5s are better. and ATI/RB looks great! I guess I like that Kessil shimmer too much.

the reefbrites were super easy to install. They come with the side clips.

- remove 4 screws from ATI
- Remove clip from RB
- Install Clip on ATI using original ATI screw
- Install RB onto the clip again.

you need a small hex screwdriver for ATI screws. Home Depot $5 mini screwdriver set works
you also need a timer, or plug into APEX

So two weeks or so ago I purchased a couple of no name acroporas and placed them on a frag rack under Kessil A360W. The one on the right was browned out but still had purple tips. In two weeks it has regained some of its green color. But I am still seriously considering T5s for my next build
USMRosk.jpg

I've been running two Kessil A360NEs over my 36x18x24 tank for about a year now. I built a foam/rock wall so I can mount SPS really high. It's mostly gone well but the shadowing has become a problem over time, and growth on some SPS hasn't been great (while other easy stuff, like my green birdsnest, has grown so much that it's become a serious nuisance). The shadowing has caused STN and pale/bleaching on the undersides. This is my first real tank so I'm not a pro and some of the issues, like growth, could be water quality but lighting is more obviously a problem when looking at the tank.

I just added a 2-bulb 36" fixture right across the front of the tank and holy smokes, what a difference in the shadowing! No more black holes. I kind of hate the "flat" look it gives to the tank, even with the shimmer, but I guess you do what you gotta. Honestly once I'm gainfully employed again I may pick up two more Kessils and mount them toward the front of the tank angled back, but that's just not an option yet so for now T5 it is. I hate the size of the T5 fixture and having this big black thing across the top of my beautiful eurobraced tank, and having to work around it for feeding etc. but I hate the shadowing more. :p

I've been running two Kessil A360NEs over my 36x18x24 tank for about a year now. I built a foam/rock wall so I can mount SPS really high. It's mostly gone well but the shadowing has become a problem over time, and growth on some SPS hasn't been great (while other easy stuff, like my green birdsnest, has grown so much that it's become a serious nuisance). The shadowing has caused STN and pale/bleaching on the undersides. This is my first real tank so I'm not a pro and some of the issues, like growth, could be water quality but lighting is more obviously a problem when looking at the tank.

I just added a 2-bulb 36" fixture right across the front of the tank and holy smokes, what a difference in the shadowing! No more black holes. I kind of hate the "flat" look it gives to the tank, even with the shimmer, but I guess you do what you gotta. Honestly once I'm gainfully employed again I may pick up two more Kessils and mount them toward the front of the tank angled back, but that's just not an option yet so for now T5 it is. I hate the size of the T5 fixture and having this big black thing across the top of my beautiful eurobraced tank, and having to work around it for feeding etc. but I hate the shadowing more. :p

I've had razors -and ai prime never wanted to ditch them cause of the clean look but I just got a ati fixture and it just as sleek

I've had razors -and ai prime never wanted to ditch them cause of the clean look but I just got a ati fixture and it just as sleek

Yeah, it's really just about money right now. :) I picked up the fixture (Helios IV) with 2 almost brand new bulbs for $40. As soon as I'm able I'll do something else, more Kessils or a floating canopy with Geisemann retrofits or something. Until then I'll suck it up! Funny how fast algae grows on the front of the glass now that there's so much light there. I've gone from cleaning it once a week to every couple of days (fighting nutrients right now too).

Take it from a guy who left my kessil in favor of an ati fixture.... do it. I never had great growth with the kessil, never had good colors, had lots of shadows and the corals were pale or bleached where the light didn't hit.

Sure, I miss the amazing shimmer of the kessil, but I absolutely love the even spread of the ati t5. Growth has been better, more consistent.

I recently add two blue reefbrite XHO's and love them. They add just a touch of shimmer, make the corals pop.

The only time I've ever seen very successful tanks running LED's is when they are running multiple/many fixtures. Big tanks with 10+ radions, or small tanks with one radion and multiple kessils or multiple radions. They need more fixtures to cover the spread and shadowing.

I'm eager to see the new Euroquatics E5 (led t5 bulbs) when they come out. Bulbs last up to 8 years, use less energy.

Don't like your hybrid anymore?

I love a lot about it, but I like to try different things. I really wanna go more T5 and supplement more with the LED.

Originally, before my PacSun, coming from Radion Pro, I thought I wanted mostly LED and to supplement with T5's, which is why I passed on ATI.

That said, the Giesemann Matrixx II 6 w/ reefbrite mod sounds about perfect for me.

I wonder the result of putting LED fixtures on a moving light rail. Large coral farming facilities use moving light rails on tank raceways for efficiency. Putting LED fixtures on moving light rail will help to reduce shadowing. This might give you the best combination of efficiency/projection area/shimmering.

I have a 6ft 125 gallon. I'm running 3 360w Kessill in a mixed tank. I'm not happy with growth and I feel like Im getting uneven distribution of light. I'd like to try t5. What is the best way to make a "mixed" arrangement? Would it be like 2 24" t5 fixtures in between the Kessills or one 48" t5 in center with 2 Kessills on outside? Or just sell/trade Kessills for 72" fixture and add LED strips. The other issue is that I like my controller and how it simulates a natural sunrise/daylight/sunset pattern. And I also like the shimmer, plus I spent a fortune on them. Any advice appreciated , and if you are selling any fixtures please let me know as well for consideration.

I have a 6ft 125 gallon. I'm running 3 360w Kessill in a mixed tank. I'm not happy with growth and I feel like Im getting uneven distribution of light. I'd like to try t5. What is the best way to make a "mixed" arrangement? Would it be like 2 24" t5 fixtures in between the Kessills or one 48" t5 in center with 2 Kessills on outside? Or just sell/trade Kessills for 72" fixture and add LED strips. The other issue is that I like my controller and how it simulates a natural sunrise/daylight/sunset pattern. And I also like the shimmer, plus I spent a fortune on them. Any advice appreciated , and if you are selling any fixtures please let me know as well for consideration.

I would put the kessils in the middle row and have 2 or 4 50" T5 bulbs on the outer edges. The kessil spread should cover the entire width while T5 gets rid of all shadowing. I like to leave half foot gap on both sides

4 5' bulbs is what you need. If you have a canopy go retro, easy to mount.
If no canopy then you'll need to figure out how you want it to look.

...I'm eager to see the new Euroquatics E5 (led t5 bulbs) when they come out. Bulbs last up to 8 years, use less energy.

If you've not seen you can check out pictures on our FaceBook page from our UK tour last week. Some GREAT pictures and the lamps are now at Marine Depot! ;)

I've been running two Maxspect Razor 420Rs for 2.5 years on my main display and overall I'm pretty happy with them. Coral growth has been good and I really like the fact that I don't need to worry about bulb changes. I also live in a really warm area so to not have to worry about the extra heat on the tank is great. Before that I had a small 12 gallon nano with a Kessil LED and things were pretty happy there.

WE3Ku4U.jpg

I'm about to set up a Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 for my office and for this tank I think I'd like to try T5s. LOL, mostly because I won't be footing the electricity bill.

Anyhow, I see people talking about all these name brand fixtures and whatnot like the ATIs which look really nice, but at the end of the day, isn't it the bulb that matters? I mean the fixture is just a fixture, a ballast, a bunch of reflectors, etc. Like, why get a 24" $450 ATI setup when you can get a 4-bulb T5HO fixture for under a $100?

For example, I was considering this one:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/88815/SUN-960295.html

I mean, this works right? Yeah its not as nice looking as a ATI SunPower but its also not $450 so that's pretty nice. What am I missing here?

I've been running two Maxspect Razor 420Rs for 2.5 years on my main display and overall I'm pretty happy with them. Coral growth has been good and I really like the fact that I don't need to worry about bulb changes. I also live in a really warm area so to not have to worry about the extra heat on the tank is great. Before that I had a small 12 gallon nano with a Kessil LED and things were pretty happy there.

WE3Ku4U.jpg

I'm about to set up a Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 for my office and for this tank I think I'd like to try T5s. LOL, mostly because I won't be footing the electricity bill.

Anyhow, I see people talking about all these name brand fixtures and whatnot like the ATIs which look really nice, but at the end of the day, isn't it the bulb that matters? I mean the fixture is just a fixture, a ballast, a bunch of reflectors, etc. Like, why get a 24" $450 ATI setup when you can get a 4-bulb T5HO fixture for under a $100?

For example, I was considering this one:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/88815/SUN-960295.html

I mean, this works right? Yeah its not as nice looking as a ATI SunPower but its also not $450 so that's pretty nice. What am I missing here?
You get what you pay for, the ati fans extend the bulb life, the units are well built and also tried and tested. In reef keeping terms they are not expensive as a lighting solution and worth every penny IMO as you would have to spend tripple the amount to get the same result with led

One of the more helpful things I've done so far is visit Hamilton Technology showroom in Gardena. It's small but they have several of their signature fixtures as well as retrofits on display. You can see the lights in action and evaluate their mounting options. Even when considering a different brand it still helps to get a better idea that way than internet pictures.

One of the more helpful things I've done so far is visit Hamilton Technology showroom in Gardena. It's small but they have several of their signature fixtures as well as retrofits on display. You can see the lights in action and evaluate their mounting options. Even when considering a different brand it still helps to get a better idea that way than internet pictures.

Thanks for that info. Found them on the web and looked interesting. I may just head over there to check them out. How do they have the lights displayed?

Thanks for that info. Found them on the web and looked interesting. I may just head over there to check them out. How do they have the lights displayed?

You're welcome. All of their fixtures are on the shelves. They will turn on the one you are interested in for you. Also, Hamilton rep/manager said they can customize the number of cords/channels on their fixtures, anywhere from 1 to 3. All depends on how many plugs you want to have for control.

They might have extended their sale which i think was in 10%-20% off range.
Their fixtures aren't as sexy or as widely used as ATI. However, the fact that you can pop by their office with any problems related to their light fixtures definitely made them a strong contender on my list. They are open to public during regular business hours.

Back