How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Really? I don't have any problem fine tuning with it. I only keep my regulator around 20 psi though. Perhaps you have it opened too far?

Maybe, I had been thinking that a higher PSI would make it more stable. But your right, maybe it is the other way. I know it takes about 5 minutes from when the solenoid clicks on till CO2 starts to come out of the bubble counter, so I was thinking I did not have enough pressure to overcome the internal psi of the reactor and the check valve.

I was speaking more to the metering valve being open too much vs the regulator. I don't think 30 sounds excessively high at all. Maybe back it off to 20. That being said, 5 min lag from the solenoid being opened to CO2 hitting your bubble counter seems really excessive to me. Mine is within a few seconds. Where is your check valve located. Perhaps it has become fouled and is impeding CO2 release? I use two check valves, one closer to the bubble counter as well as loop the line to reduce any potential water back flow within the CO2 line. I know a lot of people will even use 3 check valves as they are cheap and regulators are expensive. :D

Last edited:
I am using a Dennerle check valve, it is attached to the bottom of my bubble counter. I have an MTC reactor and the bubble counter is integrated with the unit so it is about 3" from the top intake of the reactor. My Regulator is about 4 feet from the check valve. The valve is about 6 years old, I have another check valve I can swap it an see what happens.

I'm going to do this. I just bought a reg setup from MD and then found this thread. I've had enough issues in the past with crap equipment. Now to find me a reg...

The Dennerle is a dandy of a check valve. I doubt that would be the problem. Are you getting a consistent pressure reading on your lower gauge? Perhaps you have an internal leak as Alan suggested? Did you run the test he posted? Hopefully he'll chime in.

Best of luck Lipsontherun! Post your build once you're done.

dantdodge and naterealbig~ The Oxwelds I saw on eBay were mostly single stage. Have a link to a specific one in mind?

Just looking into the right reg. I've got a guy in the local craigs list that has them various models for $70.00 He adds a metering valve and solenoid for that.

not that the valve is what i will use. But he also adds a CGA 320 So it seems like a deal. He has a couple that I believe are Airgas Y12-SR145D. I think I'll pull the plug on this. Even for twice that I feel it's a deal. Am I wrong?

Wow! that is a steal! I paid $100 for mine and it's not SS.

And you got the rest for 100? Alan must have really helped... Any more killer deals Alan? Putting in offer of 100 with 15 shipping and the rest will put me over 294 in total. Granted I WANT MINE NOW!!!! TOO MANY TANKASTROPHIES!!!!! So I guess an extra 100 is what I do. Unless our Mentor here has some extras floating around still, or again.:dance:

Okay Okay,,,,, after going back throught the thread and seeing what Alan is using. I'm the new owner of this baby. $100 http://www.ebay.com/itm/281615606712?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I sure hope this is internally fine. Is there a reason the Co2 line is headed out in an upward direction? I will be using this with a Reef Octopus CR 3000 which is an upward reactor with the pump below. Also, I'm not seeing a CV installed on these units. Are you running them in the tubing? Or just relying on the CR CV? You talk about 200ish with a used reg. But with my $100 reg, at best $54 for a swagelok B-2MG2 (but $76.91 locally), and $55.39 for the solenoid. I come up with roughly $210 with no plumbing or CV. Which I figure will run another $54.41. So, in total, I will be in it $302.41 Not that I'm complaining, but did I do something wrong? Edit.... Now I'm looking at this gem thinking it needs accesorized with SS not B Swagelok fittings. Or will the reg head polish up brassy? Which is going to add again. DAMN!!!!! DON'T TELL MY WIFE!!!! :uzi::deadhorse::uzi:

Last edited:
The Dennerle is a dandy of a check valve. I doubt that would be the problem. Are you getting a consistent pressure reading on your lower gauge? Perhaps you have an internal leak as Alan suggested? Did you run the test he posted? Hopefully he'll chime in.

The pressure on the 2nd gauge is consistent, doesn't vary at all. I did run all the leak checks, twice, I found none.

Well, Let the fun begin!! After finding a few regs online and the MONDO help with reasonably priced accessories. So hopefully this time next week I'll be in STABLE CITY!!! I'll keep you posted. Here are a couple of things I've found in my research.
http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Up...SGT 500 Series Stainless Steel Regulators.pdf
http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Up...SGT 500 Series Stainless Steel Regulators.pdf
http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Up...ervice and Testing Procedures - Single an.pdf
http://victortechnologies.com/corp_pdfs/56-0874 Victor HPI Catalog.pdf
Maybe this will help others in figuring out what is what in the Victor lineup.
Thanks again Alan for the GREAT INFO and HELP!!! ;-)

Back