How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

So the Y12 showed yesterday and I fitted it with its new CGA 320 fitting and started the internal testing. I opened the tank and the inlet gauge rose to 1000 psi. NICE..... Next I ran down the handle and rose the external pressure to 40 psi. Then I shut down the tank and set. At hour 4 I let some of the pressure out of the system to 500/20 psi and she sits beautifully at those pressures still now. The mocking of the new CR is underway as well. Not real great at posting pictures. But I'll see what I can do. I built a skimmer some years ago and it was an airstone style. It worked like a champ but was pretty rough. I built it totally from plumbing parts. (rubber fernco caps and all) Now after having some experience welding acrylic, I'm thinking I could make a much nicer venturi style unit now. But one thing at a time. This week will be torture waiting for the rest of my parts.

So the Y12 showed yesterday and I fitted it with its new CGA 320 fitting and started the internal testing. I opened the tank and the inlet gauge rose to 1000 psi. NICE..... Next I ran down the handle and rose the external pressure to 40 psi. Then I shut down the tank and set. At hour 4 I let some of the pressure out of the system to 500/20 psi and she sits beautifully at those pressures still now. The mocking of the new CR is underway as well. Not real great at posting pictures. But I'll see what I can do. I built a skimmer some years ago and it was an airstone style. It worked like a champ but was pretty rough. I built it totally from plumbing parts. (rubber fernco caps and all) Now after having some experience welding acrylic, I'm thinking I could make a much nicer venturi style unit now. But one thing at a time. This week will be torture waiting for the rest of my parts.

Thats good to hear keep us updated...:)

I had a chance to assemble these systems over the weekend.

This is a face seal (vcr) system. The ports are sealed down to micron level. You will absolutely have no leak.
049ae83a3d7aabd9057ebaba3dc246db.jpg

533dbebdf3190c9f60a95f21bbc8aa39.jpg

6308827e7bc91f70f49d5328f39c54e4.jpg

Parker ir6000
0ae3f80af4d78e91847f6f77edc0ae09.jpg

d55d54a571bad4ba44b9a929bc3b3cf6.jpg

Matheson mini system. This is the smallest regulator around.
a1042b0e69ed6ca8d1c0a9e354b431ab.jpg

4c1b81004ccb5fca5c655709a5d2bdd1.jpg

Next to a 2.5" gauge it still looks tiny
a8c2f32ac0b2753c98b606d7ca1e4e3e.jpg

Is anyone on here building these for sale?

or can someone provide just a easy to search list of acceptable make and model parts, so it would make it easier to search for these parts, I find myself having to go back and forth searching thur this thread.
Some kind of list like:
Regulators:
Gauges:
Solenoids:
Niddle valves:

Is anyone on here building these for sale?

or can someone provide just a easy to search list of acceptable make and model parts, so it would make it easier to search for these parts, I find myself having to go back and forth searching thur this thread.
Some kind of list like:
Regulators:
Gauges:
Solenoids:
Niddle valves:
Where are you at? I was looking to put my couple extra with my home built CR as a package deal. But if you need one I might be able to find a way to just build another. I have had my eye on a slimline model.

I need help!

I need help!

I hope that this is the right place to post. I have read many many pages about regulators. I get the concepts but there are so many part numbers that they all run together. Then when I go to ebay, what I am looking for is nowhere to be found.

This may not be the best way to go but I want to get a Stainless Steel Dual Stage body with a Planted Tank electronic regulator. The PT digital regulator, by itself, goes for a full retail of $209. A digital setup instead of the needle valve just fits my personality.

I have been advised that I should go all new but I don't know if my budget can handle it. If I have an SS model, I'm not sure if a used unit would be a bad idea but perhaps I need to be encouraged (beaten up little) to understand where I need to spend the money. On the first page of this thread I saw the Victor SGT500 (SS), Matheson 3810 (SS), Concoa 432 (SS) but I also saw some good equivalent units. I don't care so much about actual brand names but I am concerned with quality. I see that some people get new stuff at a great price.

Right now, my budget is very loose at about 3 to 6 hundred, including the electric box but it could go up if needed. On the other hand, I see people finding a steal in stainless steel.

All that being said, I need help finding parts that I can actually buy. I would love it if someone would take a little bit of profit to shepherd me through to a good quality finished regulator at a great price.

Would someone please help me?

Right now, my budget is very loose at about 3 to 6 hundred, including the electric box but it could go up if needed. On the other hand, I see people finding a steal in stainless steel.

All that being said, I need help finding parts that I can actually buy. I would love it if someone would take a little bit of profit to shepherd me through to a good quality finished regulator at a great price.

Would someone please help me?

Patience is your friend if you're looking for a deal. You end up paying for convenience and speed. Deals can be found on eBay, but they go fast. You can definitely save if you go brass over stainless.

They have different types. Some with removable lids, others without. If you can fit your arm in the one with the closed lid, it's easy to install the float valve at the top. Otherwise, you just cut a hole. Jigsaw or Reciprocating both work well... ;)

They have different types. Some with removable lids, others without. If you can fit your arm in the one with the closed lid, it's easy to install the float valve at the top. Otherwise, you just cut a hole. Jigsaw or Reciprocating both work well... ;)

Thanks! I have a sprectrapure maxcap ro/di system but didnt know that these systems were not designed for pressurized ro tanks. So I need to get a reservoir. By the way their customer service is horrible. You have to leave a voicemail and they will call you back using a skype number. I'm questioning the way they run their business.

Can you use a booster pump to utilize a pressurized tank? That's the way I have my drinking water set up.

I've never been much of a fan of Spectrapure. To me, they were a great company for reefers 10 years ago that never evolved. They had the highest quality ro/di units, but as other quality competitors came on, they didn't alter their prices or step up their service to compensate. The same can be said of their Litermeters.

Another alternative for water storage are storage tanks designed for Agricultural use.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/m/products/064724-norwesco-65-gallon-vertical-storage-tank.html

Back