How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

I think the most important thing to consider in a regulator is supply pressure effect. For whatever regulator yoiu buy, make sure you get the spec sheet (and that you aren' going to gas all your fish).

Did you put one together?

But by "best bang for the buck" I don't mean cheap crap. It's more some of the builds here have mismatched brass and stainless steel parts and it seemed there was some reluctance to post the cheaper builds due to all the super beautiful stainless steel builds. The beautiful builds are really nice but brass is just fine with me or a mix of SS/brass.

So I'm not asking for cheap crap but rather the builds someone might have hesitated to post because they aren't as beautiful. But maybe I'm wrong and everyone is going SS because if you're patient, you can get them on eBay for good prices.

Did you put one together?

But by "best bang for the buck" I don't mean cheap crap. It's more some of the builds here have mismatched brass and stainless steel parts and it seemed there was some reluctance to post the cheaper builds due to all the super beautiful stainless steel builds. The beautiful builds are really nice but brass is just fine with me or a mix of SS/brass.

So I'm not asking for cheap crap but rather the builds someone might have hesitated to post because they aren't as beautiful. But maybe I'm wrong and everyone is going SS because if you're patient, you can get them on eBay for good prices.

I've built both brass and SS. I try not to mix the metals as we are working in a wet environment and I want to avoid galvanic corrosion. SS is nice and, yes, you can get some really nice items on Ebay if you are patient. I've got one I'm giving to a friend with a SS Veriflo regulator (single state, but low supply pressure effect) with a beautiful Swiss gauge.

Just curious, as I'm new to calcium reactors, and not too comfortable upgrading the parts on my current regulator(reef fanatic), what you guys think of these:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-gro-1-co2-regulator.html

Or, should I leave my fears, and say, just upgrade the parts on my regulator? Learning about them add I upgrade the parts? Like I was thinking first about a new needle valve, and possibly new gauges?

What would you all suggest to a noob, wanting to learn, lol, but not wanting to poison himself and his significant other.. [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Just curious, as I'm new to calcium reactors, and not too comfortable upgrading the parts on my current regulator(reef fanatic), what you guys think of these:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-gro-1-co2-regulator.html

Or, should I leave my fears, and say, just upgrade the parts on my regulator? Learning about them add I upgrade the parts? Like I was thinking first about a new needle valve, and possibly new gauges?

What would you all suggest to a noob, wanting to learn, lol, but not wanting to poison himself and his significant other.. [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Look into the first post of this thread. I have all the info for you to build a dual stage custom reg. I will last long enough for
Your grandkids to use.

Look into the first post of this thread. I have all the info for you to build a dual stage custom reg. I will last long enough for
Your grandkids to use.

Not to be a pain but really read the whole thread too because some gotchas are not in the first post (like how to tell non-VCR from VCR regulators which is still a tiny bit unclear to me, etc). I realize it's a big task to document all that just pointing out worth the time to go through it. It's still a little confusing to me but I think for those of us that haven't done it, just have to accept it's going to be a couple orders to get everything. But the main parts are really clear to me now so thanks to you and everyone else who posted.

hey guys,
i bought a Parker 4A-NML-V-SS-K, 1/4" Tube Metering Valve. When i took off the current valve on my reg, the parker valve doesnt match the thread count into the solenoid. I realize there are different thread systems out there. Did I mess this up or can i buy a converter? The solenoid has a female and the parker valve is male. Both are 1/4. Thanks!

hey guys,
i bought a Parker 4A-NML-V-SS-K, 1/4" Tube Metering Valve. When i took off the current valve on my reg, the parker valve doesnt match the thread count into the solenoid. I realize there are different thread systems out there. Did I mess this up or can i buy a converter? The solenoid has a female and the parker valve is male. Both are 1/4. Thanks!

did more reading and the parker has compression 1/4 on each side, which is obviously different from npt 1/4 and will not fit. Since i am upgrading my current valve, the way i see this happening is to have the current valve open and add this valve onto the CO2 line after the current crappy flow valve. Thats pretty ghetto fabulous but i cant think of another way of doing it.
Ideas are welcome :)

Does anyone have a custom built reg they are looking to sell or would somebody be willing to build me one like in this thread. I've been reading over this thread trying to feel confident that I could source the parts, buy the right things, and build this but I feel lost.

Hey Alanie I have a problem with co2 reading,my bubble counter changing every couple of days and I have to adjust it
Does it mean my metering valve is bad ?

But they have a 6 year warranty, try getting that with an eBay build.

Not all Ebay parts are bad. You just need to know what you are looking at. Might as well go with CO2Arts regulators. They have 10 years warranty for a fraction of the price.

I found a place that sells prebuilt units, but be prepared to drop $500-700 http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-pro-5-ss-co2-regulator-two-stage.html
I am like you. I posted about these a few weeks back also.. I probably will go with one of the stainless units when they are back in Stock, as I only need one output of course.. But, I like those also, in lieu of hand building one like the rest of these guys..

I also asked and still wonder about replacing parts one at a time on my |reef fanatic regulator.. Like the needle valve, to a more precision valve, or even just the gages..

Just to learn and begin, But most on here only want to build brand new regulators.. And I understand that, but even a diy upgrade of some parts would be fun and a good intro..

I may try and do that, but I'm not sure.. I could really use some instruction and advice..

Back