How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

I am like you. I posted about these a few weeks back also.. I probably will go with one of the stainless units when they are back in Stock, as I only need one output of course.. But, I like those also, in lieu of hand building one like the rest of these guys..

I also asked and still wonder about replacing parts one at a time on my |reef fanatic regulator.. Like the needle valve, to a more precision valve, or even just the gages..

Just to learn and begin, But most on here only want to build brand new regulators.. And I understand that, but even a diy upgrade of some parts would be fun and a good intro..

I may try and do that, but I'm not sure.. I could really use some instruction and advice..

I actually built mine from eBay parts, I was just trying to help the person who posted about wanting to buy a pre built dual stage.

I don't think upgrading your gauges on your reef fanatic would be of any benefit, but adding a precision needle valve will help you tune your co2 a lot easier. I'm using a Parker needle valve, and I can turn it like an 1/8 of an inch in either direction and my ph inside of my reactor changes .1 plus or minus. It's been super easy to dial in the co2.

I actually built mine from eBay parts, I was just trying to help the person who posted about wanting to buy a pre built dual stage.

I don't think upgrading your gauges on your reef fanatic would be of any benefit, but adding a precision needle valve will help you tune your co2 a lot easier. I'm using a Parker needle valve, and I can turn it like an 1/8 of an inch in either direction and my ph inside of my reactor changes .1 plus or minus. It's been super easy to dial in the co2.
Thanks for the reply. I will check into the valve for sure.. Do you know the number? The guages just have some corrosion on them, and I'd like for it to at least look nice..

Right now I can't afford to build a completely new regulator.. So I wanted to still try and learn and possibly upgrade what I have.. As I get more into the reactor, I don't care for the regulator I have, as the psi is factory set at 25. I could be wrong, but it seems like I could be wasting gas. If nothing else, I'd like the control to be go up and down if I wish..

what kind of CO2 tubing do you guys use, I was trying to connect the 1/4" RO/DI tubing but the OD is kind of small for ss washer inside of the metering valve to hold properly.

Would this regulator be a good choice? I might build 2, one for my minical and the other for my freshwater tank.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
I just built these.
384d4adbf20cb7b0cd5f57ebd4003bed.jpg

cb1231897fe911fcfc820accec6c7fe3.jpg

That Matheson looks good. Mine is doing great. I've recently had to make some minor adjustments to my calcium reactor, due to a higher demand of alk and calcium. Man, it was so easy to adjust the co2. I'm so bummed I didn't build one of these years ago. Would have made my life so much easier. Thanks again for all your help!!

Think I got the wrong metering valve. Picked up a Hoke 1666G2YA. It has hose fittings on both sides and the exit has 1/16" I think. Anyway to adapt to 1/8" fittings?

Where can I get a decent check valve? I found some on Amazon but a lot of people say they get clogged or don't work. They look just like the metal ones listed in here earlier

How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Good morning folks! I picked up a brand new SS Parker IR6000. This is what I have so far. I'm still waiting for the metering valve. It will be a swagelok s series with integrated check valve.
06bdda922d06cecad9da8634da38a0b4.jpg

0e70a919881588addbbc305ebca702de.jpg

So, i've read through this thread a couple of time, as well as other threads on the subject, and I am really stoked about building one of these regulator's for my calcium reactor. I was just wondering if any of these would be a good starting point to build off of. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141946846988?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272081622726?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181164377936?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260673063963?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

alanle or anyone more experienced then me. What part do i need to join where i have circled? That is just a dumb bubblecounter i will not be using anymore but the layout is what i have in mind.
Thanks!

Those are tube fittings so if you want a rigid connection, some stainless or brass tubing would work. Other way would be to change out the elbows to npt on both ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back