How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

How long did you wait to see if there were any more bubbles? The residual gas between the solenoid and the metering valve could take a while to deplete its pressure depending on your setup. So even if the solenoid is closed, the gas doesn't stop immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long did you wait to see if there were any more bubbles? The residual gas between the solenoid and the metering valve could take a while to deplete its pressure depending on your setup. So even if the solenoid is closed, the gas doesn't stop immediately.

Yea, I thought of that.......let it run for about 12 hours....it is defiantly leaking......I dialed my needle valve and it has been "off" now for over a week.

Hey guys I'm on fb now. Check add me as friend to get updated on parts.

https://www.facebook.com/alan.le.104

Chef, maybe try alanle on FB? He hasn't posted here in 3 weeks and from his posting history looks like he only comes to RC for this thread. Maybe he is FB full time now with this stuff. I'm curious to know as well as I'm starting my build on Tuesday .

If he does answer you on FB, do you mind relaying it here? I'm one of those 5 people not on FB. [emoji2]

Yea, I thought of that.......let it run for about 12 hours....it is defiantly leaking......I dialed my needle valve and it has been "off" now for over a week.

Chef, been doing some reading on this. Does yours get really hot? I'm wondering if the issue is that they are the 24v dc version? I read about another guy having an issue with them saying it was really really hot. It's normal for them to be warm, but they shouldn't be hot. I wonder if it's burning itself out?

Did yours come with the a filler piece that fits between the solenoid and the plug connector? Mine was missing. Not having a lot of confidence in that eBay seller.

I found another place that sells them, the price is reasonable, but the shipping is ridiculous. They have local retailers all over the place. I'm going to call the one near me in the morning to see if they have them in stock for me to pick up.

http://www.clippard.com/part/MME-2PDS-D110

Last edited:
Just finished building this Matheson Ultraline system. This will be my main unit for the planted tank.
bac4a4c8a7f8bd33c44701e35ccfde9a.jpg

I built mine last night and plan on installing and doing a leak test tomorrow. As I built it, I had another thought. You said you have gone through 3 solenoid so far, did you use the same power adapter each time? Did you build it yourself? If you used the same one each time, any chance you had any stray wires that may be shorting it out?

I built mine last night and plan on installing and doing a leak test tomorrow. As I built it, I had another thought. You said you have gone through 3 solenoid so far, did you use the same power adapter each time? Did you build it yourself? If you used the same one each time, any chance you had any stray wires that may be shorting it out?

I would have thought that, but I still hear the clicking sound which leads me to believe that it is still trying to function. It does get hot, but from what I have read that is normal. Mine did have the rubber piece that went between the power supply and the unit.

Chef, been doing some reading on this. Does yours get really hot? I'm wondering if the issue is that they are the 24v dc version? I read about another guy having an issue with them saying it was really really hot. It's normal for them to be warm, but they shouldn't be hot. I wonder if it's burning itself out?

Did yours come with the a filler piece that fits between the solenoid and the plug connector? Mine was missing. Not having a lot of confidence in that eBay seller.

I found another place that sells them, the price is reasonable, but the shipping is ridiculous. They have local retailers all over the place. I'm going to call the one near me in the morning to see if they have them in stock for me to pick up.

http://www.clippard.com/part/MME-2PDS-D110

Looks like they are in Europe

i have the same one, works great, i used the plug end with the led so i can see if it has power, the reason i went with the 110 volt model is i have it plugged into my apex eb8, plus i do not see any reason to to add 24 volt power adapter when i would be using ac power anyway, imo it just one less part to go bad.

I just ordered this........hope it works......
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...teel-body.aspx

the valve you picked above is a 110 model, the 24 volt adapter will not work with it.

and this cord........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151752677165...:MEBIDX:IT

i do not think you want to use this, unless you valve is dc powered,
all you would need is a cord with a 110 plug on it., i thing i used and 18 gauge one from amazon.

Last edited:

I forgot to mention that I'm so glad this got posted before I started running mine. I would have fried my solenoid. I initially put a standard PC plug on my 24v solenoid. Roy, Chef and I both bought 24v solenoids from the same vendor on eBay. He went through 3 before figuring out the issue was with the plug. I'm grateful, because I was doing the exact same thing and he saved me a big headache.

I'm going to order a new from from freshwatersystems, those are the ones to get . LeftC, who I believe was the original DIY guy who got this whole thing started workers with Burkert to get these made with the better seals for CO2.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thr...ble-with-buna-n-seals-order-information.3265/

Well i ordered one of these: Cost me $100 with free shipping, hope i didnt screw up :)

s-l1600.jpg

this is the description: They are Precision Dual Stage, Diaphragm Valve with included 3/8 Inch Right angle Tube Fitting, 0-100 psig Outlet Pressure, 3000 psig max inlet - PRS301233, Tank connector CGA350.

Obviously it needs a new nipple, but I am hoping I can reuse the one I have off the JBJ regulator for that....

Back