How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Well i ordered one of these: Cost me $100 with free shipping, hope i didnt screw up :)

s-l1600.jpg

this is the description: They are Precision Dual Stage, Diaphragm Valve with included 3/8 Inch Right angle Tube Fitting, 0-100 psig Outlet Pressure, 3000 psig max inlet - PRS301233, Tank connector CGA350.

Obviously it needs a new nipple, but I am hoping I can reuse the one I have off the JBJ regulator for that....

You can use the cga 350 nipple. Just get the cga 320 nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so is the regulator I bought worth a crap or not lol??

Next I need to find a nice metering valve....

The first regulator I bought of ebay didn't pass leak tested, I contacted the seller and was refunded immediately, so it depends where you bought it from.

I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but I am having some big issues visualizing how this fitting actually works.

IMG_20141026_163426.jpg

If these were to fit together, isnt the piece on top upside down? Shouldnt the threads be facing to the left?

Obviously that little stem does not have threads on it, so I am having issues understanding how that little thing comes into play. Does that insert into the metering valve somehow? Is there some sort of compression fitting on the metering valve that will grab onto that thing? If not, I can only assume that goes inside the tubing, but in that case, I dont see how the nut that clamps down around the tubing is supposed to attach, given there are no threads. I suspect my initial thought is how it works, but frankly these pictures shown thus far have me pretty confused, and I want to make sure I order the right fittings, given that particular one is not exactly cheap.

Here is what it looks like assembled on the manf website, so how the hell do you hook that little stem to the metering valve? lol

SS-600-R-4.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like an adapter to change tubing sizes. They look to be 1/8" to 1/4".

Depends on the metering valve. What connectors does your's come with?

Looks like I've got the same metering valve...

Did you just remove the compression fitting in the one end?

49ca17c673a6038dbe5feef994103743.jpg

35ebaa198b72bbd58460746f8f05fd23.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes attach the tubing to the other end.

So I don't need that fitting I showed few posts back right? Is that to convert a metering valve that has a compression fitting for a smaller diameter hose up to 1/4"?

So I don't need that fitting I showed few posts back right? Is that to convert a metering valve that has a compression fitting for a smaller diameter hose up to 1/4"?

Use 1/4 OD tubing.

Use 1/4 OD tubing.

Of course :). So the Hoke valve is made for 1/8 and you had to convert it up to 1/4 right? What has me , and I think others confused is you listing that, and other 1/8" fittings on page 1. For someone with a metering valve like mine, I would not need any 1/8" fittings....correct?

Of course :). So the Hoke valve is made for 1/8 and you had to convert it up to 1/4 right? What has me , and I think others confused is you listing that, and other 1/8" fittings on page 1. For someone with a metering valve like mine, I would not need any 1/8" fittings....correct?

Yup

Got my regulator today. This thing looks mint! Looks like this thing retails for $600. Paid $100. Assuming it passes leak test...i think this may have been a SCORE!

d0a523767dec0ff5d742f2e343eb5c13.jpg

a74dd1e429031fe2f709626d28ccee22.jpg

Looks like it's in great shape. Not familiar with the ProStar line. Not sure who is the actual manufacturer. If retail is $600 it's probably nickel plated brass.

Personally I picked a reg with 30 psi output. 15 psi would have worked too. We run our regs much lower than the planted guys. Mine is at 8 psi.

Looks like it's in great shape. Not familiar with the ProStar line. Not sure who is the actual manufacturer. If retail is $600 it's probably nickel plated brass.

Personally I picked a reg with 30 psi output. 15 psi would have worked too. We run our regs much lower than the planted guys. Mine is at 8 psi.

That shouldn't be an issue. Max is only 100.

Back