How to keep an Idiot busy...150DD

It's hard to move on I'm sure. But your next will combine new ideas with past success. Very much looking forward to what you got ahead of you. I WILL be following for sure dude :beer:

Awesome pics btw.

Simply amazing Patrick! I was at the Coral Reef last week and got to see these corals in person and they are awesome. Can't wait to see your next build :)

Please post a link from this thread when you start the new build. Good luck with everything. :)

All those colors and I can't get past the male lyretail :fish1:

Mine is starting to change, but hear it actually takes years. Did you buy yours, or it switched for ya? I see so many females, and only like 1 mail to every 50 females I see.

Love the pics btw

Great last set of pics. Good luck with the house and new build! :)

Thanks, hopefully it'll be soon

It's hard to move on I'm sure. But your next will combine new ideas with past success. Very much looking forward to what you got ahead of you. I WILL be following for sure dude :beer:

Awesome pics btw.

Thanks!

Simply amazing Patrick! I was at the Coral Reef last week and got to see these corals in person and they are awesome. Can't wait to see your next build :)

Thanks!

Please post a link from this thread when you start the new build. Good luck with everything. :)

Thanks I will. Here's a link to the owner of my setup. I will be snapping some pics of it and posting there once in a blue moon but my last attempt shooting under all leds wasn't that great.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2382900

All those colors and I can't get past the male lyretail :fish1:

Mine is starting to change, but hear it actually takes years. Did you buy yours, or it switched for ya? I see so many females, and only like 1 mail to every 50 females I see.

Love the pics btw

Thanks. I bought all females. within 6 months the change was pretty apparent and as time went by his colors got better and fins longer. I suppose he continued to change for a year. And the second largest female was starting to get the spiked longer top fin recently.

I gotta add too, I was mortified at how much detritus had built up in the back of my tank. Normally I use a maxi jet with a 6' hose and a clear rigid tube on the end to blast into the shallow sandbed and live rock releasing it all into the water column for the filter sock to catch. I couldn't reach the back so it never got cleaned and when the tank came down it was a mess back there. It would've crashed the tank one day for sure.

Thanks, hopefully it'll be soon

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks I will. Here's a link to the owner of my setup. I will be snapping some pics of it and posting there once in a blue moon but my last attempt shooting under all leds wasn't that great.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2382900

Thanks. I bought all females. within 6 months the change was pretty apparent and as time went by his colors got better and fins longer. I suppose he continued to change for a year. And the second largest female was starting to get the spiked longer top fin recently.

I gotta add too, I was mortified at how much detritus had built up in the back of my tank. Normally I use a maxi jet with a 6' hose and a clear rigid tube on the end to blast into the shallow sandbed and live rock releasing it all into the water column for the filter sock to catch. I couldn't reach the back so it never got cleaned and when the tank came down it was a mess back there. It would've crashed the tank one day for sure.

Patrick!! Best tip I've heard yet. I do the blast trick, but the rigid tube is something I have not heard yet. Thanks!! Also this is why I think BB is the way. However, your tank is on another level, so what the he11 do I know.

Hopefully my anthias

Yeah with a 27" high tank that goes 36" back and a canopy that only has access from the front I found out I have 24" arms. Honestly I would've thought they were longer but I had to measure after I couldn't reach the bottom. So adding a 20" 3/8 rigid tube from APC worked wonders. A few months later I heated it up and bent a 45 degree angle 6" from the end so I could reach around corners. The detritus will really hit the mp40 prop once you get blasting with this set up.

My tanks not that special really, it just has large colonies that had room to grow into thier natural shape with nice open space for contrast. Your tank is coming along nicely it's gonna be something when it grows in.

Thanks! I miss it. The only pic is in post #13. I had the AI's in the middle of the tank and 3 t5's to cover the front half and 3 to cover the back half. As the tank grew in all the coral was reaching towards the center of the tank I assume for the light. Next time around I'm adding 2 more t5s for a total of 8 and placing the AI's in the front of the tank angled at a 45 towards the center. That way if the coral still reach for the light it'll make for a better view.

Last edited:
That's is so freaken perfect looking it almost looks like you have a insert . Just beautiful colors everywhere.

That's is so freaken perfect looking it almost looks like you have a insert . Just beautiful colors everywhere.

Thanks Mike. I think part of the reason was I had a large water volume, tons of live rock good skimmer and was able to feed the fish and coral 6x a day without hurting water quality. And when the tank came down the black sponge in the above pics was everywhere. There was a patch of it as big as my hand. Some pieces could have done better, Karl took a piece of the blue palmers milli and turned it much bluer than I had.

Getting closer:lolspin:

Poured a slab of self leveling concrete in the basement TV room.

Finally finished the canopy/light lift

Now I just have to plumb it up and start the cycle.

Back