Is this a good light system?

reret10

Hey everybody
Its that time of the year again when I have to replace my T5 bulbs and I'm getting sick of having to buy bulbs all the time. Ive been looking at options for LED systems because of all the advantages including not having to replace bulbs so overall a better deal over time. Ive been looking around at LED systems and I came across this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-MR-120...883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462a9da7bb it seems like way to cheap for a legit system. I have a 30 gallon tank with corals ranging from Mushrooms to Stylophora. Would this lighting system support them? Does anyone know if this is a reputable source for reef tank lighting?
Thanks

Looks like typical cheap garbage LED fixtures made in China... I'd have to say that is NOT a good light system IMO.

If it's in your budget definitely get an eBay led light that has a built-in programmer! i own an EVERGROW ebay led and love it.

Here's a great choice for a 30g: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evergrow-16...558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed4f253be

the one you are listing is completely manual. you can put the unit on a timer BUT you have to manually adjust the white light versus the blue actinic during its "on" time. its sooooo much worth it to pay extra for a unit with a programmer. you can program the lights to slowly come on at a certain time, then program a growing cycle by adjusting the strength.....and then do a sunset at night.

every person i've talked to that has bought a manual one like you listed, is sorry they didn't buy one with a programmer.

Last edited:
Like i have said beforeif you want a Rolex then pay for the Rolex and you will have a well made watch that'll last a lifetime and you can hand it down. Don't try to get a Timex thinking it's going to work like a Rolex. That's like getting a Hyundai and thinking it's going to be like a BMW. You get what you pay for and my client had those lights for awhile before he upgraded. There are things in life to skimp on but life support systems and food and lighting that you use to keep animals alive that are becoming increasingly rare and that cost as much as these systems do are not things to go cheap on. Skimp in other areas of life and you will be better off.

I have been running two of the "cheap" Chinese dimmable units for 15 months on my 120 gal. softie, lps tank with no problems. I'm retired and can't afford to spend huge bucks for lights. get the expensive programmable units if you can, but those e-bay lights work quite well.

Like i have said beforeif you want a Rolex then pay for the Rolex and you will have a well made watch that'll last a lifetime and you can hand it down. Don't try to get a Timex thinking it's going to work like a Rolex. That's like getting a Hyundai and thinking it's going to be like a BMW. You get what you pay for and my client had those lights for awhile before he upgraded. There are things in life to skimp on but life support systems and food and lighting that you use to keep animals alive that are becoming increasingly rare and that cost as much as these systems do are not things to go cheap on. Skimp in other areas of life and you will be better off.

Im glad you can afford a Rolex and a BMW but not all of us can so a hyundai will just have to do. I run a reef breeders photon 48 on my tank and it's pretty much the same light as a evergrow. I have no issues growing sps clams nems or anything else I want to. The thing as since most of us buy a new light often we don't need a light that's gonna last forever. I've seen tests showing my light Hyundai put out more par than your bmw.

IMO, when you pay for namebrand like Kessil, Orphex, MaxSpect, AI, EcoTech....you are, out of the shoot, paying about $200-$300 premium just for the brandname. (i'm sure that statement is gonna honk off some people bc they are sold on what these Mfgrs tell them).

Its much like you can overpay to buy an Audi but get about the same in a high-end VW, same thing with a Lexus versus a high-end Toyota.

Research off-brands and what was a $700 light now becomes a $400 with 95% of everything you need.

Back