• Total voters
I think my blue star leopard wrasse is changing from female to male
Here she is two weeks ago
a44b7b11239b0627ccc2af3c11424c66.jpg

And today
88dd9b782362ef5dfb0dfd292fb30b0d.jpg

53319f1b5428e247a5c9e9ddf6889838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. Been working my way towards a full complement. Got two meleagris, a blue star, a black, a lapillus, and an ornate. Sold my potters (doh!) because he was a bully, but can't now find a good replacement. Still too much of a chicken to try a choati. Never tried a kuiters either.

just finished reading through a good portion of this thread, many thanks to everyone who has contributed.

i've been kicking around the idea of getting a leopard wrasse for some time now, so i was wondering if anyone had any advice on compatibility and general food concerns with my current stock list and setup:

160 Oceanic on a shared sump with a 35 cube (aka the 'Display Fuge').

160 contains:
2x Percula clowns
1x Yellow Tang
1x Copperband Butterfly
4x Lyretail anthias
1x Lawnmower Blenny
2x Orange Spotted Filefish
1x Mandarin Dragonet (this is my primary concern)

35 Cube:
1x Scooter Dragonet (this is my secondary concern)
1x Rainford's Goby

my plan would be standard TTM protocol with two rounds of PraziPro then in to the grow out system for probably 5 - 7 weeks.

my staple food is PE Myses which i generally feed 2 - 4x per day. although i do like to feed live white worms once every two weeks for a few feedings to break it up. i also regularly have on hand some other types of frozen, as well as a selection of pellets and flakes, although no one is all that interested in pellet/flake currently.

my major concern is food competition with my dragonets. they're both fat and have been with me for a while (4+ years for the mandy, and 2+ years for the scooter). so i would prefer to err on the side of caution with introducing potential food competition.

my intention would be for the leopard to end up in the 160 which has a heavy rock layout and approximately 1 - 2" sand bed.

thanks!

LFS has a small Macropharyngodon meleagris female... it has been there for 2 weeks and looks very healthy.. hunting all over the tank, out during the afternoon/early evening... no pacing etc...

However it didn't eat, although the tank also has about 10 clarkii clowns so not much food was floating around...

I have a 120 that is about a year old.. no other pod eaters... it's barebottom but I will add sand in the back... what are my chances of success???

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LFS has a small Macropharyngodon meleagris female... it has been there for 2 weeks and looks very healthy.. hunting all over the tank, out during the afternoon/early evening... no pacing etc...

However it didn't eat, although the tank also has about 10 clarkii clowns so not much food was floating around...

I have a 120 that is about a year old.. no other pod eaters... it's barebottom but I will add sand in the back... what are my chances of success???

Sounds a lot like my leopard. I would not buy it unless you see it eating, but that's just my view on it. Mine had to eat prepared foods because I Quarantined it for 6 weeks. It's all a risk with these guys, sometimes they'll just die.. Sand is obviously necessary. I would snatch it up once you see it eat. Did the LFS say it was eating?

Decided to give blue star leopard wrasses a try again through liveaquaria. Got 3 medium females.
Got 3 delivered this morning.
I opened the box and hit it with the infrared heat gun and all 3 bags were at 66 degrees.
Not a very good start.

Then I notice 2 of the 3 look as if they are transitioning males.
Hopefully it's just stress colors. ( if they survive )

Sounds a lot like my leopard. I would not buy it unless you see it eating, but that's just my view on it. Mine had to eat prepared foods because I Quarantined it for 6 weeks. It's all a risk with these guys, sometimes they'll just die.. Sand is obviously necessary. I would snatch it up once you see it eat. Did the LFS say it was eating?

LFS didn't know if it ate or not... they have a bunch of different workers... this guy wasn't sure... it didn't show any interest in food, but again the food didn't get too close to it as the clarkiis were eating it all... was definitely hunting pods all over the tank and oblivious to me outside the tank...

Well, 2 of the 3 blue star leopards survived.
I've had them 8 days now.
They are eating great. Been on prazipro for 5 days.

But they still haven't used the sand box for sleeping.
Every morning I check on them before it gets light in the room and they are always curled up in a corner under the sponge filter.

Well, 2 of the 3 blue star leopards survived.
I've had them 8 days now.
They are eating great. Been on prazipro for 5 days.

But they still haven't used the sand box for sleeping.
Every morning I check on them before it gets light in the room and they are always curled up in a corner under the sponge filter.

They haven't used the sand at all?

My leopard didn't for the first night, so then I dumped it in a corner. She slept happily in the sand after that.

Sorry about the third. :(
My pair is doing incredibly well so far still, decimating flatworms!!

Tell you the truth, I'm surprised any made it. The water in the bags came in at 65-66 degrees.
All 3 went into the quarantine tank after I acclimated them and all 3 just laid on the bottom.
One never really moved.
But 2 are eating aggressively and doing well, so far.

Just thought I'd chime in here that I've joined the leopard wrasse family. I saw someone on Craigslist was tearing down their tank and had one for sale. He said he had it for 10 months and it was eating mysis, I paid full price for it, worth every penny.

Within an hour of introducing it to the dt, it was out swimming and chowing down mysis.

I knew the wrasses would eventually use the sand, so I feel alot better they actually are using it.
I gave them a light meal yesterday afternoon and later in the afternoon I was going to show them off to some company and they were not to be found.
So I was pretty relieved when they popped out this morning.

Back