Melev's Roadtrip

Snow everywhere! How awesome was that? My Ford Explorer had no trouble traversing the snow and mud, but I was extra careful not to get into a bad spot.

My parents are very private people, so no shots of their home; however, how about their view? That was fair game. They have great scenery to enjoy every day.
view1.jpg

view9.jpg

view2.jpg

view3.jpg

view4.jpg

view5.jpg

I think this is Thumb Butte. (sp?)
view6.jpg

view7.jpg

A small babbling brook formed as the snow melted, and it was a serene experience. Plus the area can always use more freshwater since drought conditions occur every year.
view8.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday morning, I loaded up my goodies and drove east on my way to Flagstaff. Victoria invited me to stop and see her beautiful reef that was in Camp Verde, which was right along my route.

road_to_camp_verde.jpg

road_to_camp_verde2.jpg

road_to_camp_verde3.jpg

Here's Victoria's reef.
victoria.jpg

Her reef is visible from three sides, and she enjoys keeping it pretty by paying attention to detail.
victoria2.jpg

victoria3.jpg

victoria4.jpg

victoria5.jpg

victoria6.jpg

victoria7.jpg

I :inlove: Pompom Xenia
victoria8.jpg

Healthy <i>encrusting</i> porites!
victoria9.jpg

Using a dosing pump, she drips two-part and also tops off the tank. She is running it sumpless.
victoria_doser.jpg

victoria_gear.jpg

A former Maxijet bracket made a great dosing tube holder.
victoria_drip_holder.jpg

The HOB (hang on back) refugium
victoria_refugium.jpg

Good surface movement is important.
victoria_surface.jpg

The stand has some handy pull-out work stations for fragging and/or tank maintenance.
victoria_shelf.jpg

Lighting subsisted of 150w DE 14,000 Phoenxix (seriously? LOL) bulbs supplemented with PC actinics and LED moonlights. So do you have to drive to Phoenix to get these bulbs? ;)
victoria_lighting.jpg

I like the little stands her husband fabricated. They were sealed and seemed to hold up nicely against the salty environment.
victoria_lighting2.jpg

In a species-only nano tank, Victoria is keeping a very alien-looking rock anemone happy.
victoria_alien_anemone.jpg

Then it was time to drive to Flagstaff. Here's Victoria in hot pursuit.
victoria_following.jpg

It took about an hour or so to get to Mark's (salamander) house, where a happy group of hobbyists were gathering for a BBQ. I'll post those pictures later, as I really need to get back on the road.

I'm in Amarillo now. According to my iPhone, 350.0 miles / 6 hours & 23 minutes. Ugh.

At this point, I've traveled over 2130 miles during the past week.

I did end up seeing a tank in Albuquerque, as well as a LFS. So there is still quite a bit more to post to this thread before it will conclude.

It's always that last leg of the trip that takes the longest... For me anyway;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14459896#post14459896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

I did end up seeing a tank in Albuquerque, as well as a LFS. So there is still quite a bit more to post to this thread before it will conclude.

Oh I'm so glad!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14459896#post14459896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'm in Amarillo now. According to my iPhone, 350.0 miles / 6 hours & 23 minutes. Ugh.

At this point, I've traveled over 2130 miles during the past week.

Sorry I missed your call...I had a friend over to see the tank. Did you end up getting another hotel? Or are you braving the night on this drive?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14461134#post14461134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'm home! :D
You must be exhausted. It was a blast following your trip and seeing all the tanks & LFS along the way.

Now get some rest.

--Ed

It ain't over yet. I still have quite a bit to share from Flagstaff and Albuquerque. Stay tuned.

Yeah this thread has been fun to watch.

This would be a great road trip idea in the future also. Either for you or someone else.

Back