Omg $4,089 For A Skimmer!!

Just like to governor of NY, is or was it worth the money, it must be, because thats what I paid for it. Also, you are paying for the software they used to design it, an engineer, .....which probably was not used in the smaller version, your paying for a name, and maybe even some patents. Since they are probably selling far fewer of them than the one in your LFS, they gotta make their money back. If we all had to have one that large, they would probably get cheaper.

Its business and profit, not reefing that determines the price

what makes a certain skimmer so great? Why can't a cheap skimmer be made that works as well an expensive one? They seem like the same basic concept.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241832#post12241832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edwing206
If I had the money for an $8,000 skimmer I would be proud of it. It's not like people who make that kind of money didn't work hard to get where they are.

this is entirely debateable. way too many people that get rich with out working all that hard.

more on topic though. its not like people are buying these crazy skimmers to put on a 55 gallon with an HOB overflow box..

if your running a 500 gallon or more systems that is driving the need for a skimmer of that caliber then youve already spent a fair amount of money sure then skimemr might cost 25% - 50% of the overall cost but the skimmer is one of the major keys to the entire system functioning.. so if you look at it logically its not that outragous .

if your like the average reefer and have a set up that cost about a grand for the tank and lights and all the other stuff then you put in a good skimmer in teh 300 dollar range then your paying about the percentage of teh overall cost of the system.

Re: Omg $4,089 For A Skimmer!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12241227#post12241227 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by da1jewfish
YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! No way are people spending $1000-$4089 for a protien skimmer... I am speachless. Holy ****.
Specifically the Bubble King. Do you know in 2001 I bought a brand new car for $5995 and people are spending $4000 on a skimmer!!!?!!? Hold on I just found a BK for $8400.
I am so disturbed right now. I find this to be outrageous, greedy, selfish; this is obsurd. This kind of money to spend on skimmer, god thats a lot of disposable income.
Do you want me to tell you how I really feel about this.

Now, the question, who is going to admit to buying these? anybody? please enlighten me. Actually, THERE IS NO REASON TO ENLIGHTEN ME BECAUSE THERE IS NO REASON TO SPEND THIS KIND OF MONEY ON A SKIMMER.
I know this isn't my business, and I'm not trying to pry in anyones.

The thing that disturbs me the most about your rant here is that you call these business's outrageous, greedy, and selfish. If you really think this than why are you living in the US? America was built on capitalism and the market forces make the true price of almost all products. If the skimmer was not worth the price this company would be out of business in a heartbeat, but because the customer feels that the product is worth the price, the company is still in business. Before you start yelling and complaining about price gouging of any product, take an economic class or move to China and become a communist.

Josh

Wow. I fully agree with the idea of market forces setting prices and also that if someone wants a $4K skimmer they should go for it. But you don't need to question someone's patriotism and tell them to leave the country just because they have a different opinion.

I used to think "why do I need to buy an expensive skimmer?" I thought that until I got my bigger tank and had some extra cash lying around and bought a H&S skimmer. Then I saw the difference in the tanks from the ASM skimmer tank to the H&S tank. So now I run 2 H&S skimmers on my tanks and would never go back, that $3000 for both skimmers, was money well spent in my opinion.

Well, I mean seriously dude? Skimmers are like hot rods for reef nerds. I mean you must not be that into it, but when I see an RK2 or a Deltec, I get a little over excited.

You've never entertained the idea of a gigantic reef tank? With it comes gigantic costs. My next reef tank is honestly the only thing I've really cared about in my life over the past 4 years. This is my hobby, this is my life.

to each his own,
Andy

So it is true about what they say about a jewfish and his money. lol j/k j/k just found that ironic.

peace,
Andy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12245013#post12245013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by erik1202
Wow. I fully agree with the idea of market forces setting prices and also that if someone wants a $4K skimmer they should go for it. But you don't need to question someone's patriotism and tell them to leave the country just because they have a different opinion.

no, because that is actually (supposedly) completely contrary to America's economic system. The Protestant work ethic and its subsequent materialism is what drives this economy and differentiates at least some of our workforce from the rest of the world.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12243605#post12243605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
If you seriously think an $8000 - $16,000 skimmer will do the same thing as a $300-$600, then I guess it is a waste of money for you. But just know that you are wrong. Find me a $600 dollar skimmer that can handle 6600 gallons.

We have a winner!!!!!

honestly, lets take a look at the specs for that deltec that was linked to earlier for a second.
Capacity: Normal Stocking: 6600g
Heavy Stocking: 5300g
Pump: Sequence Manta Ray
Total Power Usage: 771 watts
Air Intake: 9000 L/H
H2O Throughput: 4700gph
Dimensions: Length: 3.3' Width:3.3' Height: 8.5'
Cylinder: 18"
Intake/Return Pipe: Height: 54 "/60"
Intake/Return Union: 2"/3"

please note some things in particular:
Capacity: 5300-6600 gallons. say it again. 5300-6600 gallons.
lets say you find rock for $4/lb. @1lb/g that =$21200-$26400. for ROCKS :D

certainly, for me, spending that much on a skimmer is out of the question. but for a public aquarium or the most extreme of hobbyists, maybe not so much. my point is, if you have a system that large, you aren't going to get by with a skimmer that is 21" tall. you are going to need a monster, and that will cost you.

Wow you really have not thought this out have you. Let's take just the raw material cost for a BK 500 int. There you have a 20" diameter reaction chamber. The largest diameter acrylic tube I can find on McMaster Carr is 14" OD at a cost of about $750/foot. Assuming that cost is only based on material volume the 20" tube will have about 44% more material putting the cost of at about $1083/foot. They use close to 2 feet of the 20" tube (body and cup) putting the starting cost of the skimmer at about $2000 just for the cost of the external tubing. Even if McMaster is charging a 20% markup then you are still looking at $1500 before you even get started. This does not include the custom motor blocks that he uses along with the fact that every part of the skimmer is CNC machined. FYI a good 4 axis CNC machine will start out at about $80,000. I also understand that acrylic is less common in Europe and thus costs more than it does here which is why you don't see many acrylic tanks in Europe. Last but not least the raw material for acrylic is oil and that cost won't be coming down any time soon.

It really is all about perspective. I would not dream of putting that skimmer on anything less than a 400-500g tank. In that size range you are looking at $20,000 to $30,000 for a stocked tank when all is said and done. When you look at it like that spending $4000+ on the most critical component of your reef seems like pretty good value to me.

i belive a smack down has been laid from all possible angles.

POWNED!!

pwned1jm.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12243605#post12243605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
If you seriously think an $8000 - $16,000 skimmer will do the same thing as a $300-$600, then I guess it is a waste of money for you. But just know that you are wrong. Find me a $600 dollar skimmer that can handle 6600 gallons.

Thats it. I now understand. When I was looking at those skimmers I didn't see how many gallons they can handle. If I would have known they handle 6600 gallons,the discussion would have been over.

But still, it seems like many people on here have those expensive skimmers, do they have 2000+ gallon tanks? I havn't seen any yet that were that big, but I'm sure there are a couple.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12245838#post12245838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by da1jewfish
Thats it. I now understand. When I was looking at those skimmers I didn't see how many gallons they can handle. If I would have known they handle 6600 gallons,the discussion would have been over.

But still, it seems like many people on here have those expensive skimmers, do they have 2000+ gallon tanks? I havn't seen any yet that were that big, but I'm sure there are a couple.

glad to see you didnt look at anything but the price tag before you posted your rant. bravo!

Re: Re: Omg $4,089 For A Skimmer!!

Re: Re: Omg $4,089 For A Skimmer!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12244830#post12244830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Joshsmit56001
The thing that disturbs me the most about your rant here is that you call these business's outrageous, greedy, and selfish. If you really think this than why are you living in the US? America was built on capitalism and the market forces make the true price of almost all products. If the skimmer was not worth the price this company would be out of business in a heartbeat, but because the customer feels that the product is worth the price, the company is still in business. Before you start yelling and complaining about price gouging of any product, take an economic class or move to China and become a communist.

Josh

alright there buddy, your telling me I'm out of line... look at you, with all those assumptions. I know how the market works, that wasn't the question, the questtion was why do they buy them, and I now have been answered (not by you btw).
I have taken a many econmic classes, Mr. smarty pants.
And your telling me to become a communist and move to China... yep thats where my answer lies.

Can we change the subject back to something interesting please??

Lets talk about those $30k hookers again.

I haven't seen anyone post on this thread that stated that they have a 5300-6600 gallon tank with this $4089 skimmer.

However, I've seen plenty of 200+ gallon tanks with skimmers that cost more than $1000. The TOTM threads are one good example, as many of the larger tanks have high end equipment.

It's all relative.

Joyce

Lets not forget that the cost of acrylic has risen astronomically. Being a petroleum derived product, it follows the cost of crude. Granted, it doesn't justify the cost alone. In addition, several of these companies spend decent money in R&D to come up with new and better designs. As long as there is a market, they will make them.

This one fish store was closing and another bought it for $800.

The skimmer on retail is really $8,000
It is in wheaton Maryland.

Back