Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef"

First off, I hope all is well for your wife. Cancer is a terrible thing. Definitely hope she makes a full recovery. Second, man that tank is stunning! I bet it looks good throughout the day. Might be an odd question but, can you notice the sun rising and setting? I've read a few places that as the sun rises and sets you can see really cool colors throughout the whole tank. I want to do this on my next tank.

Just found your tank build, very nice! Just read about your family, sending positive thoughts your way.

Thank you!

First off, I hope all is well for your wife. Cancer is a terrible thing. Definitely hope she makes a full recovery. Second, man that tank is stunning! I bet it looks good throughout the day. Might be an odd question but, can you notice the sun rising and setting? I've read a few places that as the sun rises and sets you can see really cool colors throughout the whole tank. I want to do this on my next tank.

Thank you!

Yes the tanks lighting changes all day, from the first moment the sun starts to rise, the corals even move with the sun reaching for the brightest spots. Anything that moves over the domes will shadow in the tank, a moving cloud, or even birds show shadows.

Thunder storms are amazing! I enjoy watching how the fish react to the changes in the sunlight, early mornings they don't swim far from their area in the rocks but by mid morning they are all out, as the sun starts to set they start to swim in their areas again staying close to home.

Then when the moon starts to light the tank a whole other team starts their evening routine.

Its always changing every minute of everyday, thats what we love the most about it.

Just found this thread,you have an amzing tank and we hope and pray for a fast recovery for your wife.

I just saw that you won the BRS "Most Liked" Video Challenge - congratulations! You definitely earned your prize, as your tank is outstanding and absolutely full of "like"!

Beautiful tank. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

Thank you!

Awesome tank. Thanks for sharing. Hoping your wife gets well soon.

Thank you!

That sounds amazing with the lighting changing throughout the day! Think you could possibly post pics of different times of the day?!

I'll try, One of these days I'll do a time lapse video.

Just found this thread,you have an amzing tank and we hope and pray for a fast recovery for your wife.

Thank you!

Your aquarium looks great! I love the natural sun-lit idea

Thank you!

nice build and effort!!

I just saw that you won the BRS "Most Liked" Video Challenge - congratulations! You definitely earned your prize, as your tank is outstanding and absolutely full of "like"!

Thank you!

Congrats on the win. Very nice setup.

Thank you!

Congrats on the win!

Thank you!

Went searching on eBay today!

This should help fill up my reef a bit!
-Mint chocolate chip monti
-Bird of paradise
-Turquoise stag
-Lavender slimer
-Neon green vermiculata
-Rainbow poci
-Hydnophora
-Karls Kandlelight
-Deepwater echinata colony

-Blue tip green slimer
-Tyree pink sand dollar
-Reef ready grapejuice
-Pearlberry
-Cali tort
-Blue tenuis
-Red planet
-Tyree ponape birdsnest

-Orange cap
-Blue tip valida
-Orange branching monti
-Blue bottlebrush
-Metallic pink milli
-Spongodes
-Hydnophora
-Unknown tan blue polyp acro
-Pink Hyacinth Birdsnest
-Purple tip green branching hammer
-Purple branching montipora
-Green Tip Orange Birdsnest
-Blue tip valida
-Deepwater acro
-Green branching montipora
-Elkhorn
-Metallic pink milli
-Miami orchid
-Metallic Green Birdsnest
-Blue tip acro
-Purple polyp green plating monti
-Blue tip green slimer

Went searching on eBay today!

This should help fill up my reef a bit!
-Mint chocolate chip monti
-Bird of paradise
-Turquoise stag
-Lavender slimer
-Neon green vermiculata
-Rainbow poci
-Hydnophora
-Karls Kandlelight
-Deepwater echinata colony

-Blue tip green slimer
-Tyree pink sand dollar
-Reef ready grapejuice
-Pearlberry
-Cali tort
-Blue tenuis
-Red planet
-Tyree ponape birdsnest

-Orange cap
-Blue tip valida
-Orange branching monti
-Blue bottlebrush
-Metallic pink milli
-Spongodes
-Hydnophora
-Unknown tan blue polyp acro
-Pink Hyacinth Birdsnest
-Purple tip green branching hammer
-Purple branching montipora
-Green Tip Orange Birdsnest
-Blue tip valida
-Deepwater acro
-Green branching montipora
-Elkhorn
-Metallic pink milli
-Miami orchid
-Metallic Green Birdsnest
-Blue tip acro
-Purple polyp green plating monti
-Blue tip green slimer

OMG you bought all of this together???!!!! I don't even want to know (although I secretly do lol) how much that sent your wallet back! All of that (even tiny frags) would fill up the new 90g I'm setting up! :O
Very nice searching though :thumbsup:

OMG you bought all of this together???!!!! I don't even want to know (although I secretly do lol) how much that sent your wallet back! All of that (even tiny frags) would fill up the new 90g I'm setting up! :O
Very nice searching though :thumbsup:

Our new frags, less then $500 with shipping!

0a0cd4f5-f506-4e61-b982-ed5f3809e5b8_zps498e5263.jpg

T2eC16ZHJGwE9nyUYqBRHcKk6SFg60_57_zps913b1dbb.jpg

Last edited:
I almost had one of my most wanted fish today, my local fish store called telling me they received a 5" Achilles Tang. Only one problem, it was covered in Ich the owner still wanted $199. and wouldn't offer me any guarantee

Good call, while you can't guarantee that a clean looking fish is actually "clean", no sense buying a fish that's covered in parasites especially if they still want a premium price for them.

Back