Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

The company that builds them is likely called something chinese like honzen or shinzou.

It is not a Chinese company making them, per H2O systems.

"These pumps are not manufactured by Honcar but by a NON crappy Chinese manufacture that OEM pumps for many name brands in North America. We were involved in the design from the controller to the impeller. These pumps have been stress test on the field for over a year. We believe they will outlast AC pumps under normal conditions."

Google it. Hopefully it is right, but the best way is to contact H2O systems and ask.

Sirreal, the pumps are all the same, the idea is to call them something different for each brand. RLSS and Waveline are just as made up as Diablo, Skimz, Airstar DC or Red Dragon 3.

The company that builds them is likely called something chinese like honzen or shinzou.

Yes they are all the same but the rd3 is 120 or 220 volts. Different pump.

It is not a Chinese company making them, per H2O systems.

"These pumps are not manufactured by Honcar but by a NON crappy Chinese manufacture that OEM pumps for many name brands in North America. We were involved in the design from the controller to the impeller. These pumps have been stress test on the field for over a year. We believe they will outlast AC pumps under normal conditions."

Google it. Hopefully it is right, but the best way is to contact H2O systems and ask.

It says right there in your quote
"These pumps are not manufactured by Honcar but by a NON crappy Chinese manufacture

It might not be honcar but they are made in china.

Probably not causing waves yet because the first round of the red dragon pumps got recalled a couple years ago or simply people have very good proven options available.

Cautiously watching and waiting.

I find it strange that the DC pump comes with a 2 year warranty and only 1 year on the rotor?

Also the bubble blaster has a 3 year warranty.

Not that strange. The pump costs more so its gotta eat into profits.

All speculation but I feel the price point on the BB pump was directly aimed at the askoll because the performance is there. The markup is probably a lot more on the BB then the DC pump. Probably wrong but thats my first guess as to the difference in warranty.

Its usually about money and nothing to do with the durability of the pump.

If it was about the expected life of the pump ehiem would have a 5+ year warranty.

I've ordered a dc3 to replace my 5000sss will post my thoughts when it gets here. 5000 is for sale now only three months old.

Special order. They are drop shipping from coralvue. I had somthing on back order with them and wanted to cancel it so I just used my credit to help pay for it. They where not aware of the pov skimmers until I acquired about them. So they said?

Special order. They are drop shipping from coralvue. I had somthing on back order with them and wanted to cancel it so I just used my credit to help pay for it. They where not aware of the pov skimmers until I acquired about them. So they said?

Yeah they were hard to find in stock. I went to reefspecialty first and they said april for the dc1. fragtascticreef said they would get them in monday. They are in but he said there was an issue with the venturi and coralvue was shipping an updated venturi. Not sure what that is all about. Should ship tomorrow, i got tracking today.

The dc driven pumps are finally making it to mass market... I remember when royal exclusiv was discussing the concept like 5 years ago and it has taken this long for the concept to make it to mass market. I am very glad to see this all coming to fruition finally!

DC pumps are going to make protein skimming a lot more adjustable and just gives gadget geeks something else to play with. :)

Cheers,
John

We shall see. This is my current skimmer, so It has a lot to live up to :)

6962468033_6e049a8368_b.jpg

I got bit by the Tech bug on the new one and the fact that my current one barely fits in my sump with the upgraded pump. I should gain back some room with the new one.

Why switch skimmers when this one clearly is working great?

1. Im dumb
2. I like all cool things technology
3. Im dumb
4. Im looking to gain some space in my sump compartment, this one barely fits with the BB300
5. 10W less on the pump. Rebuilding ultra low watt system.
6. see 1 and 3 :)

Mostly an impulse buy.

What if the new one is more efficient, and can remove more than what we see with this pic? We don't know the amount of time it took to fill that cup with it's contents.

I myself would like to see the difference between the two. We know the BB pumps are workhorses.

Back