Remaking my 7 US gallon "reef" tank.

Thierry05

This is my tank at the moment:
image.jpg

(yes, it isnt the best image in the world for i decided not to use my DSLR but my phone camera, but its enough).

My tank is 7 US gallons (25/6 litres) and it is horrible. To sum it up: when I first set this tank up, I ended up getting a huge invasion of pests and algae, mainly thanks to the live rock I got, and the mistakes that normal beginners make when they start. I sort of stopped trying to save this tank a month ago when this Caulerpa that you can see, started suffocating my Zoanthids. I only ever managed to keep 3 corals for a very short time, due to the fact that I was too busy controlling algae problems and Bristleworm. And since reef keeping is NOT a hobby you can quit (mainly because I still have my sole surviving livestock, a pink paddle Brittlestar), and since giving up is a bad thing to do for a hobby that can make such beautiful results. It looks like I am back at it again for this reef keeping.

Also, I found out that my equipment wasn't good enough in the tank, which may have contributed (although it was only for circulation, which I am hoping to solve with a good powerful filter), so 80% of my budget is on equipment.

At the moment I am buying the equipment, which I will list:

2kg of DRY rock (if someone can tell me how do you boil this, it will help!)

salt water that I usually get from my reef store

A refractometer for salinity

Live sand (1kg, I don't want the sand to be too deep)

API 5 in 1 Test Strips for salt and freshwater which tests pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, General Hardness and Carbonate Hardness. It should start me off.

A filter that does 600l/h

A protein skimmer that has a battery powered air pump? It has a power outlet too but atm I can only use batteries I guess, it should be perfect though since I am not going abroad again till around Easter. I know protein skimmers may not necessarily be needed in small aquariums but I am planning on a reasonably large bioload.

And finally, the one people may find reasonably unusual, but I think it could be useful, is "reef soup". I got 100ml of this "soup" which has Copepods, brine shrimp and Phytoplankton. I thought that this would be a perfect idea for starting off the small "ecosystem" because they are very small creatures and effectively make a small ecosystem within themselves since Copeods eat Phytoplankton, it will also make it easier for the corals that eat Copepods and Phytoplankton to establish. I know that putting livestock in before the tank is cycled is bad, but I am not putting a cleaner shrimp or some fish in, these are small creatures which are fairly resilient, and it would probably help cycle the tank (the Phytoplankton) since they do reduce nitrates and phosphates.

The other things I have already is the 25w (I think) LED light and the 25w heater, and something to clean the aquarium glass. The water pump/Powerhead I am going to abandon though since its very bad.

So yeah, this is the start of hopefully a good tank! Any tips and comments are appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
So I have finally gotten my "reef soup"! its got brine shrimp and copepods, It was very green when It arrived which means lots of phytoplankton! I made some extra water with some old marine salt and mixed it in (cannot see the green now, hopefully it grows more phytoplankton). I'm just hoping it can survive (with the lid loosely on to stop water loss).

I also got some dry rock! I thought by buying 2 units of 1kg Id get two small rocks, since one unit should be one rock, but instead I got this HUGE rock with a small extra bits with it, should be good for corals. Any advice on keeping the shrimp for a couple of days? (I wont be getting water for my tank till saturday).
DSC_0041_1.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Back