RVANANO's 300 peninsula reef build

SPS in a brand new tank is really tough.
Even though you've gone through a cycle, there is still a lot of bacterial colonization and other process that will continue to take place in your tank over the next 6 months to a year.
Not only is your bioload light and your tank clean due to lack of fish, but your tank couldn't yet handle a high fish load/bioload.

I can assure you that the color of your sps is not due to your lights. ;)

We finally finished getting the first floor all set up so I figured I could at least update with some photos showing how the tank is really the focal point of the whole first level. I got some new stuff this weekend but haven't gotten ideal shots yet. Orange star fish, red jewel goniapora, purple leather and a few other small frags.

15578805352_649aa378c4_c.jpg

14957790953_69c10486b9_c.jpg

15554253206_7a3300a723_c.jpg

14957791823_df81ec5541_c.jpg

Nice tank and home. Oddly enough I am actually in the process of building a duress looking dining table now out of old reclaimed barn wood. And a tank but the tank is tiny (40 breeder for now) to combine 2 29 gallon bio cubes. Great work though all around.

what are you doing for Flow? I have the same tank 300dd as a peninsula and have been working our how to get a decedent flow. so far I am running a MP60 and 2 MP40's programmed on my Apex. so far its ok. What are you doing?

New addition. Majestic angel. Been waiting to get one of these but finally saw a smaller one. The cleaner welcomes the new addition as always :lol:

15535990590_131a688ff8_c.jpg

15535649987_2f88ff3364_c.jpg

Thanks! I didn't edit those photos at all ;) Straight out of the camera ( I usually adjust levels and brightness a little bit). I clean the glass every day. I have always been that way with my tanks. If you go back to page one on this thread, that 120 was 3 years old and looked like it was setup that day :)

Flipped through the whole thing, awesome setup and beautiful home! Where did you pick up the Starfish? Do they move around a lot? Wondering if I can get one in a 60 cube that I have..

brandon, now you need to get a gyre. ;)

and what the hey are you feeding that wrasse???

Hey Brandon... do you have water in that tank, or do your fish magically float through the air?

That is some clear water. :beer:

Flipped through the whole thing, awesome setup and beautiful home! Where did you pick up the Starfish? Do they move around a lot? Wondering if I can get one in a 60 cube that I have..

Got it from the LFS. Constantly moves around and loves the sides of the tank. We plan on getting one or two more.

brandon, now you need to get a gyre. ;)

and what the hey are you feeding that wrasse???

That wrasse eats everything, Nina. Fat and happy fish. It's nutty how it changes color all the time. Sometimes it goes to almost pure white for just a few moments.

I looked in to Gyre. Very interesting. My tank is kind of doing that now with the minimal rock in center islands. The water seems to flow around the tank in a circle with the way I have the returns flow set to a 60/40 split from one to the other. I may try putting both power heads on one side of the 3 foot end and then setting one return at 100% on the diagonal/opposite corner.

Hey Brandon... do you have water in that tank, or do your fish magically float through the air?

That is some clear water. :beer:

Dennis, everything is fake and being held in place with fishing line. Much easier to care for this way and you can just move the fish around by hand to make it look real. :D

Back