Serpentman's 300g upgrade

wowed and amazed!!

wowed and amazed!!

I haven't been into the saltwater aquarium long( I mean like researching for 3 months) I'm a newbie to the max but I spent yesterday and 2day readin ur thread the tanks about 1000 out of 10 love the aquascaping I'm still buyin equipment for mine seein I go 2 skool fulltime work partime funds are low...and recommendations on aquascaping?

Thanks for the kind words Slick. My biggest advice on aquascaping is most of the time, less is more. IMO, most people put way too much rock in their tank which makes things look cluttered, reduces flow and takes valuable space that should be reserved for coral growth. The hardest part to aquascaping is having a perfect piece of rock resisting the temptation to put it in.

Another tip is to use a masonry bit and fiberglass rods (snow stake posts work great) to defy gravity and make unique structures. If a piece of rock looks like it should go one way, think out of the box and flip.

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Jeff

Brief update. Had a little issue with temps over the past couple of days. Nothing serious but temps climbed to about 81F which was too high for my liking so I installed a large blower style fan over my sump which brought things in check within a couple of hours.

DSCF8674.jpg

Oh and BTW, Pinpoint thermometers are garbage. I bought one as a backup to check my controller. This thing is off anywhere from 1 - 3.5 degrees. The higher the temp, the bigger the difference. From what I hear, this is a common problem with these. I double checked with an IR thermometer and the controller is dead on.

DSCF8676-1.jpg

Over the past couple of days I got a lot of dark skimmate.

DSCF8677.jpg

However, it was a bit wet for my liking so I backed the skimmer off a bit. The head is nice and dry now...

DSCF8675.jpg

+1 on the Pinpoints. Have had nothing but issues with these in the past.

Still looking good! Thanks for the full resolution pics of your aquascaping a several weeks ago. If you look at my final pictures your influence is definitely evident.

Thanks man.

Yeah, this thing isn't worth the batteries I put into it. It would at least be better if it was off consistently. However, since it calculates temp by using an algorithm, the amount is off is exponential as the temps go up or down.

I got a good laugh when i saw the Signature Avatar...lol

DUH DUH DUH >>>>its a Bird ...no its a plane ...its Serpentman!!!!

Sorry had to do it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15469975#post15469975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DiscoReefRover
Cocktails are good!!!

+1 =)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15470028#post15470028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by serpentman
The were last night, LOL! I couldn't sleep so I had a long talk with my buddy Jack.

+2 =)

The Captain and I have some late night talks.

Great looking tank, and I can really appreciate your attention to detail (I'm a little obsessive Myself). Thanks alot for taking all the time to share the build. Seeing this progress from day one has really been a treat. Definitly one of the nicest setups I have seen. After reading through, practically, the whole thread, there was something that struck me as hilarious. "Will be working over the next couple of weeks to get it fired up" --> Words from yourself contained in the original post. You had to know it was going to take several months. Truth is, I'm amazed at how quick it has come along. I couldn't believe the amount of stuff you would get done from one post to the next. I would look up at the date/ time of post and be shocked to see it was only 12-48 hours later. Nice Work... and look forward to seeing more posts.

Thanks Jube. Looking back, I was kinda working at a breakneck pace. Honestly, I was amazed at how quick and nice things came together. There is no way I could have done it without Sean (Discoreefrover). I kinda short changed my build thread, lol as there isn't much to do right now! However, I always seem to come up with something at the last minute.

The next steps will be to get the finish trim on the outside. I am not in a rush since that portion of the basement is unfinished. However, I am thinking I need to get it done in the fall to keep the humidity contained before winter.

So far the tank is running me about $150/mo in electric. So I am also considering swapping out my MH's with T5's over the frag and cube tanks.

LMK if you are every in the Cleveland area and want to check it out.

Goin t-5's on the smaller stuff huh. Good choice !

How did you get that Avatar did you use a program? Looks nice.

Back