Serpentman's 300g upgrade

Definitely leaning that direction. Seems like every time I jump on a new product, I get a bad taste in my mouth. Its unfortunate because I really liked the Reeflux 20Ks when they worked right.

Been playing around with the camera trying to get decent shots of the fish. These came out ok.

Pic quality isn't great but thought it was a cool shot of my bangai's hosting in a longspine urchin
DSCF9875.jpg

My baby whale
DSCF9874.jpg

Morpho tang
DSCF9849.jpg

Purple tang
DSCF9850.jpg

The fattest 6-line you'll ever see
DSCF9861.jpg

Yellow tang #1
DSCF9852.jpg

The resident bully
DSCF9870.jpg

Clarkii clown aka destroyer of my blue chromis
DSCF9854.jpg

Wow, that is some amazing growth! And very encouraging to see too. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for having me over yesterday.

This tank is far more impressive in person. My hat is off to you and your success with your tank.

Mike C.

I posted these in the SPS forum as well. Here is the progression from my old 150 to the current set up. The more I look at this the more obvious it is that the real exponential growth happened in the last 6 months.

July 2008

FTS-081808-1.jpg

Here is the 150g in May 2009:

DSCF7820-1.jpg

I was never really happy with the dimensions of that tank so after a year I broke it down and upgraded to my current 300g.

June 2009
FTS-jun.jpg

Never really noticed until I looked back at the pic but most of the growth on all of these occurred in the last 6mos.

Here is a current FTS of the 300g

Dec 2009
dec-fts.jpg

Thanks TJ. I will try and get some. It's grown a bunch. However, my lights have really yellowed so it doesn't pop like it did. Wife said I could get new bulbs for Xmas. Just need to figure out which ones....

Love the new tank and the growth you're getting Jeff.
Still remember this tabling Accro from when I visited you with TJ in Mar 09 and yes it did grow a lot since then. Any Exact ID on this one as It was the best coral in your tank.
soli-comp.jpg

Any reason why you went with the Lumenbright mini and not the wide ones? Will be upgrading my 150 to a 300 in 5-6 months and still trying to make my mind on a reflector to use.

Thanks Maroun, that piece is definitely my favorite and most unique coral. It is definitely a solitaryensis (soli). However I don't have an exact ID on its lineage as I believe the original colony died.

Referencing the reflectors, no particular reason I went with mini's other than I had them on hand from my previous tank. Had I started from scratch, I definitely would have went with a larger reflector. Eventually, I will swap them out. I'm just too lazy as I will have to build a new light rack to accommodate bigger reflectors. Poor planning on my part as I should have built some extra room ;)

If you ever make it back to the Cleveland area and want to see the tank again, please feel free to stop by.

Thanks Jeff.
I'm hoping to have a business trip to cleveland early next year and will contact you for sure...

Jeff,
your growth looks great! The new setup is definitely working great for your fish and corals. On the mods you did for the drains - do you have any idea how many GPH the overflows and those herbies are handling?

Jeff, Great build..love the tile behind the sump..next time for me..sweet pics and amazing growth..Is your whole system plumbed off a dart or did you add something else?
Just upgrading my sump/pump and have a similar setup. minus the giant frag tank.

This thread has inspired me to actually think about doing another tank with this dimension!! Very awesome!!! How perfect for a reef tank??

Back