Serpentman's 300g upgrade

Finally, the sound of water splashing....

DSCF7946.jpg

Working on the sump. For now I am planning to use a modified 75g until I can get something custom built.

DSCF7947.jpg

Yo Sean, I didn't want to bug you. Probably should have though, lol as the trim could have been better. However, I won't be touching the outside trim without your guidance!

More work this weekend. Almost there..... Should be up an running next weekend (knock on wood).

DSCF7970.jpg

DSCF7976.jpg

Some plumbing pics. The pipe straps are temporary.

DSCF7982.jpg

DSCF7983.jpg

DSCF7984.jpg

just one question why didn't you put Styrofoam under the 300 gal. i thought you should do that for all big glass tanks..and love the fish room an tank set up keep up the great job..

I am so jealous that you have an equipment room. Great job so far. I have been looking into Marineland 36" tanks also. Anything you don't like about yours?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15030819#post15030819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by serpentman

Hey Sean, things are on schedule. I'll definitely keep you posted.

No rush I am enjoying watching you build progress.

I didn't see any detail on what you did with the drains...

Looking at the pictures, are you using the stock drain pipe, and then an emergency drain in the overflow box, and then the returns are up and over the back of the tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15032983#post15032983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JRaquatics
I am so jealous that you have an equipment room. Great job so far. I have been looking into Marineland 36" tanks also. Anything you don't like about yours?

Thanks man. I really like the Marineland tanks. This will be my third. IMO, the only drawback on their larger tanks are the overflows which really aren't designed to handle the turnover I would like on a tank this size. So I modded them:

DSCF7979.jpg

DSCF7981.jpg

Cayenne, you are correct, I am using all 4 predrilled holes as drains with the returns coming over the side into 1" Sea Swirls. I've decided to use the "Herbie method" which can handle considerably more flow than the standard durso. The larger pipes are for emergency backup.

DSCF7985.jpg

After 200 trips to HD, the plumbing is almost done. Was almost ready to fire up the display tank but am missing 1 piece so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Nothing like pipes to mess up a clean room!

Next task will be to tackle the light rack.

DSCF7986.jpg

Man I am getting Jacked now !!!!! Might have to come take a look ....also I love how you just cut brand new overflows up like nothing ..lol

Sean

You definitely need to come check it out. I am hoping to flip the switch later today and at least start turning over the display tank. With all the plumbing I added, I hope the dart can handle it all.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about cutting the overflows. However, they seem to be the limiting factor in my current set up so I hacked away!

The tank room is looking great Jeff. I am confident the excitement is bubbling up inside you to get it running.

I fully agree with you that the overflows are a limiting factor on these tanks. I have lost count of the amount of times I have looked at my overflows and contemplated removing every other tooth. I feel I am not getting consistant surface skimming once they start to get some build up between the slots. I hope the modifications work out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Mike C.

Back