Serpentman's 300g upgrade

Thanks Mike, yeah, it's been a long 3 months. Even longer dreamin about this day. Fired the return pump up today. Had some issues here and there that required a little replumbing, but all in all it was a successful test.

The biggest challenge is going to be to get my Sea Swirls to break the siphon right away to avoid overflowing the sump.

serpentman,
"The biggest challenge is going to be to get my Sea Swirls to break the siphon right away to avoid overflowing the sump."

Can you put a check valve on the return line of the pump?

A siphon break is going to be hard due to the amount of flow you are pushing through them...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15043835#post15043835 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by polywise
Can you put a check valve on the return line of the pump?

A siphon break is going to be hard due to the amount of flow you are pushing through them...

A check valve will clog just as easily as a siphon break on an SPS tank. The are just another added point of failure.

I'd go with two holes in each of the nozzles or install a 200 gallon sump ;)

I think I have a something that will work (will post pics if it works). Also, I plan to raise each sea swirl up a bit so they don't sit so low. Right now, everything works ok, however I still have 2 more tanks to plumb in which will add to the sump when the pump shuts down.

I have been running (2) check valves on my supply line to my tank for 6 years now -- 75 feet of 3" PVC pipe to the tank, pumps are turned off from time to time, and they never have failed. A trick is to not let light get to them, to prevent alge growth inside that would disrupt seat area...

I will likely approach the problem 2-fold. I will install siphon breaks along with check valves. Finally, I will probably drill the sump for an emergency overflow for additional reassurance so I can sleep at night.

IT'S ALIVE! MUWAHAHAHAHA!

Finally got the main display fired up. Not without a few bumps. First, glue on the main return line might have helped:

DSCF7992.jpg

Also sprung a couple of pin leaks. In my efforts to be neat, I think I erred too cautiously and didn't use enough glue on a couple joints. And finally, the seam on the 75g is was planning to use as a fuge went. Good thing it happened before I plumbed it in....

Didn't like the effect of a check valve on the head pressure of my pump so pursued a better solution to break the siphon which seems to work:

DSCF7995.jpg

Going to work on the lighting rack tonight. Here's the pulley system I picked up from Harbor Freight (thanks Sean):

DSCF7990.jpg

Please note that the cart doesn't come with it:

DSCF7991.jpg

Funny, my wife asked me the same question tonight. If you are talking the construction costs alone, if I had to guess, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$2000 in construction materials plus a lot of sweat. My buddy Sean (Discoreefrover) was a huge help.

Little update, the temporary light rack is done. This will be in place until I have have an aluminum rack made which should give me more clearance. The rack itself is only 60" long to allow it to retract beyond the soffit.

DSCF7998.jpg

DSCF8006.jpg

DSCF8007.jpg

Looks like tomorrow is the day to make the switch over. Original plan was to move it today but I am just not quite happy with the water quality. Salinity is ok, pH is in line, however its still pretty cloudy so running a lot of carbon and filter socks.

Also, picked up a 75g for the fuge so the extra day will give me an opportunity to plumb it in and button up a few loose ends.

I'm trying not to be impatient, I'm trying not to be impatient, I'm trying not to be impatient...
waiting.gif

:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15063695#post15063695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'm trying not to be impatient, I'm trying not to be impatient, I'm trying not to be impatient...
waiting.gif

Tell me about it. I am actually impressed with myself. A few years ago, I would've just slapped it together.

Good news, the water has cleared up so tomorrow its on. Hey Tony, if you are interested and have the time, I plan to get going at 11ish.

:D

I'm guessing you are finally completely surrounded with Spring, and snow is a thing of the past? ;)

looks good serpentman :thumbsup:

Are you going to be do anything special with your aqua scape? or just stack the rock?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15065218#post15065218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I'm guessing you are finally completely surrounded with Spring, and snow is a thing of the past? ;)

Ironically, we had frost about 2 weeks ago. However, I think we are officially outta the woods. My wife is getting on my case to finish the tank so I can start tackling some landscaping and finish my pond.

Big Tuna, definitely will do something interesting with the rockwork. I am a fan of rock pillars. Will post more pics as I get things moved.

Well, its 3am and do you know where your reef tank is? Got things running finally. Murphy showed up once big time. A snail wedged itself in the drain of the frag tank before I was able to get a guard in place. Needless to say, I had about 10g or so on the floor. Otherwise, everything went pretty smooth.

Huge thanks to Cleveyank and Discoreefrover for helping out. It was definitely more than a one man job....

Will post pics tomorrow after some z's

Back