Show me Your Fancy STANDS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used some Ambrosia too, very wormy so it probably is the same. VERY hard wood, I had to pre-drill before I could get a finishing nail through it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14967749#post14967749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elegance coral
I need to complete the right side.
sn850063wz0.jpg

With all the doors open
sn850077nr0.jpg

That is some tricky door work. Nice job! I've been scrolling up and down and down and up trying to figure out how it opens and closes.

Will be starting this next month.. The stand/wall unit will be approx 12' long x 4'6" wide x 7'6" tall

The tank is a 480 gal 96" x 48"x 24" tall with a 90" x 6" x 12" tall external overflow. This will put it up to 520 gal tank. The overall system will be up around 700 gal.

This set up will be replacing my 240 gal tank 330 gal system.

121687big_tank_stand48x9663.jpg

121687big_tank_stand48x9693.jpg

I recived a quote about 6 months ago from a company about 12hrs away. They were going to do it all in Oak. Witch was fine with me..

Then my wonderful wife told me to check out this woodworking company here local.

When I meet with the owner. I found out the owner is an ex-coasty. So, he beat my original quote by $1000.00... He said he would like to build it out of Maple. Plus, we will be able to watch it be built and pick just the right stain.

I'm looking forword to this system. My wife has gotten past the kicking part.. She's just screaming now haha jk :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15157214#post15157214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lancepender
He said he would like to build it out of Maple. Plus, we will be able to watch it be built and pick just the right stain.

Oh please don't stain the maple. Maple has such natural beauty it doesn't need a stain. Plus it doesn't take stain evenly really well and you'll get a blotchy finish. If you want to stain I would recommend oak. :D just my opinion.

At the very least discuss it with your builder. Ask for some sample pieces that are stained.

I'm no builder or woodworker... So the panel doors that I did ask him about/ seen were Maple.

They did look pretty nice... Maybe it was a varnish or natural type of stain...dono???

We will sit down again, that's for sure...

I'm putting together a new counter display and have been struggling a bit with the way I wanted the canopy and base to look but after reading this thread and the numerous Google searches it inspired I think I've got a plan.

The tank is a 18"x20"x30" I wanted it and the base and canopy to have a column look.
59396new_counter_1-med.jpg

Below is a PAINT rendering of what I have settled on. The dark will be Walnut and the light Birdseye Maple. The Molding on the crown and the foot will be 2" while the rest will be 1" with a 1" space between.

59396new_counter_display-med.jpg

My question ,for those that know wood, I like the contrast of the dark stained Walnut with the natural Maple but with the size and the spacing will the types of wood I've chosen look good with regards to how the grain will be visible given the small area it will occupy? I'm mostly concerned with the Maple.

Because of the size and the look you're wanting I wouldn't recommend any staining, you'd lose too mich of the wood's beauty.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15160303#post15160303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klondike4001
Because of the size and the look you're wanting I wouldn't recommend any staining, you'd lose too mich of the wood's beauty.

The Maple will not be stained but the Walnut will be stained dark. Like I said I'm mostly concerned with pattern of the Birdseye Maple looking good in such a small space. I'm open to any suggestions with regards to wood type keeping in mind the look and color combination I'm after.

The inspiration for color and wood selection came from this.

Bookcase%20corner.jpg

that walnut isn't stained... it's natural. looks like it was finished with a tung oil or linseed oil Those finishes wont protect against moisture so a good lacquer or poly would be just fine. Those 2 woods are great contrasting colors... wise choice:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15160486#post15160486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
that walnut isn't stained... it's natural.

Really, that is actually great news. I have a shop and we just started making our own aquarium furniture and while my finish guy or my cabinet guy may have known that, I did not. I have not shown them my design yet so they may have pointed it out to me because I was wondering how one went about staining the walnut without getting it on the maple. Will a poly finish look similar to the picture I posted? Sorry I don't know a lot about wood. I do all the acrylic,ABS,PVC, and electrical and leave the wood to my "experts" but their not here now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15160303#post15160303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klondike4001
Thanks. You gave me the answer but I didn't know enough to understand it it until limonpatooty pointed it out. Thanks to both of you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15157365#post15157365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lancepender
I'm no builder or woodworker... So the panel doors that I did ask him about/ seen were Maple.

They did look pretty nice... Maybe it was a varnish or natural type of stain...dono???

We will sit down again, that's for sure...
While a stain can hide the wood grain due to the pigments in the stain, a dye does not. In fact, maple when dyed properly, has the figure really "pop". That is what is used on guitars and violins.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15160615#post15160615 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
Really, that is actually great news. I have a shop and we just started making our own aquarium furniture and while my finish guy or my cabinet guy may have known that, I did not. I have not shown them my design yet so they may have pointed it out to me because I was wondering how one went about staining the walnut without getting it on the maple. Will a poly finish look similar to the picture I posted? Sorry I don't know a lot about wood. I do all the acrylic,ABS,PVC, and electrical and leave the wood to my "experts" but their not here now.
Poly will give you that look. However, IMO poly doesn't flatter the grain much and is fairly "white". An oil underneath a topcoat actually brings the grain out much more, but at the cost of a mild warming effect. It's all a matter of taste. Good choice BTW. I like to contrast woods as well (such as Cherry and figured Maple)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14967749#post14967749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elegance coral
I need to complete the right side.
sn850063wz0.jpg

With all the doors open
sn850077nr0.jpg

thats some crazy lighting you got goin on there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back