Show me your ... Green Nepthea

tidalgardens.com. the people there are really nice. i got a nice blastomussa, too. didn't want to pay all that shipping for just one coral.

Thanks ... am I not seeing something right or are they out of stock of all there Soft Corals? I cant figure out how to order one.

Also would you say that the camera is showing its "true" colors or is it maiing it looked less/more neon colored?

if they have one, itll say so right below the pic(took me a minute to figure that out). the thing that this site has over any other is that, for the most part, they show the exact frag that you will get with the price next to it. i knew what the frag i was buying looked like before i bought it. sorry, i got the only frag. the actual frag looks MUCH better than the pic showed when i ordered it, even in the pic above. the green is unbelievable, best purchase i made so far. if they get another one in, dont hesitate to buy, you wont be sorry.

Capnella

Capnella

49055capnella.jpg

Hopefully this new little frag qualifies for this thread. This is a neon green capnella (neptheidae family) and is about 2" long.

This is a symbiotic neptheid so he likes light. I have two 24w T5 (one Midday 6k and one Pure Actinic) above this tank and the growth and color seem to be good.

I have also been feeding some phyto and stirring up the detritus to keep him happy. Neptheids like food. :D

hi guys, beautiful corals, and great photos of them. Softie IDs can be tricky so I don't pretend to know exactly what you're dealing with here, but feel obliged to point out that none of them resemble Nephthea. Might want to consult one of the resident coral ID gurus with these.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7624744#post7624744 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glennb
hi guys, beautiful corals, and great photos of them. Softie IDs can be tricky so I don't pretend to know exactly what you're dealing with here, but feel obliged to point out that none of them resemble Nephthea. Might want to consult one of the resident coral ID gurus with these.

Got any examples?

I saw one that I wasnt sure if it was a Nepthea but it also wasnt a close up so I cant I.D. it and another one of a neon tree that hadnt opened up yet so I couldnt I.D. it for sure but other then that I would say they are all Nepthea.

I have to agree with glennb, Nepthea is a notoriously difficult species to keep as they are genrally not photosynthetic and require small particulate foods. They are very closely related to dendronepthea although they may have a slightly better record in captivity, but not much. More than likely what people here have is a Sinularia species. The only way to properly 100% identify is with examination of the spicules under magnification, and the correct reference literature.

Here's mine which I believed to be green nepthea, but after following a discussion with Eric Borneman where he identified some very similar soft coral as sinularia I'm not so sure and feel that its probably sinualria. I can PM a link to the discussion, but posting it would probably be against the UA.

Neptheasp.jpg

cyclops23, I sent you the link incase graveyardworm didnt. I now agree aswell most of these corals are most likely sinularia but cant be i.d.'ed unless under magnification.

So I guess the thread should no read, Show me your .... Green Nepthea/Sinularia

sinularia works for me, i still love the color. that was an interesting discussion, i agree that it does look like the sinularia, but i dont have access to a microscope. thanks for the link guys!

I would consider this coral to be one of the great successes in the hobby, and one of the hardiest corals. For me it grows very well in low light, high light, clean water, dirty water, seems to prefer low to moderate flow, and is easy to frag successfully. It seems that it grows so well that wild collection of this coral is probably no longer necessary. On top of all that its also attractive.

I've got two sinularias. I've got the Palau Sinularia and the Bali Sinularia. The Bali grows like a weed but is not quite as bright neon green as the Palau. But honestly who really cares the taxinomy of these corals? I'm not trying to be arguementative here. I'm just saying if you like it and you can make it prosper in your captive environment then do you really care? I don't think ANYBODY really knows a lot about corals other then the most basic care for them.

Back