The Life Reef Skimmer Club

My lifereef skimmer and overflow are in the mail and will be here Monday! Can’t wait. This is my first insump skimmer, currently using a bh2000 HOB. Anything I need to know setting this skimmer up. I ordered the 24” internal

My lifereef skimmer and overflow are in the mail and will be here Monday! Can't wait. This is my first insump skimmer, currently using a bh2000 HOB. Anything I need to know setting this skimmer up. I ordered the 24" internal

It is by far the best skimmer you will ever own. It will be a bit loud on initial setup but will quiet over time. I suggest a diy silencer and a 6,000 lph dc pump. Do not bother with the mazzei venturi. The stock one Jeff makes works better. I made a comparison video between multiple skimmers and both stock and mazzei on the lifereef.

It is by far the best skimmer you will ever own. It will be a bit loud on initial setup but will quiet over time. I suggest a diy silencer and a 6,000 lph dc pump. Do not bother with the mazzei venturi. The stock one Jeff makes works better. I made a comparison video between multiple skimmers and both stock and mazzei on the lifereef.

Agree that it's a little loud and wish it was more silent. Not sure if I should mod it with the silencer. I'm running my 24 with a dcp-8000 at 75% and it's skimming nicely. Skim at 4 days after breaking in for 24 hrs.
239e8d1867dee70f99cd9303f3b01a29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that it's a little loud and wish it was more silent. Not sure if I should mod it with the silencer. I'm running my 24 with a dcp-8000 at 75% and it's skimming nicely. Skim at 4 days after breaking in for 24 hrs.
239e8d1867dee70f99cd9303f3b01a29.jpg

I was just debating on which Jebao DCP pump to run on a lifereef SVS3-24. Sounds like the 8000 is more than enough flow with the standard Venturi?

Does anyone else have experience with running DC pumps on the LifeReef?

-Mark

I was just debating on which Jebao DCP pump to run on a lifereef SVS3-24. Sounds like the 8000 is more than enough flow with the standard Venturi?

-Mark

Yes I run a jebao 8000 and run it at 80% it's perfect and that pretty much maxes the air injection potential of the standard Venturi. Anything more then that is just wasting power imo.

-Mark

My lifereef is powered by a Cor 15. Zero noise.

My lifereef is powered by a Cor 15. Zero noise.

I was planning on spending the money for a COR-15 for the return pump, but good to know that it's working out for you. What speed are you running your COR-15 to operate the skimmer?

-Mark

I was planning on spending the money for a COR-15 for the return pump, but good to know that it's working out for you. What speed are you running your COR-15 to operate the skimmer?

-Mark

I also use a Cor 15 for my return :) It wasn't my intent but I was reading some threads on the Neptune forums and someone said they used the same pump for skimmer and return. That way if the return pump failed they could just swap out the skimmers pump with the return and be back operational in no time provided plumbed correctly. I thought that made a lot of sense so paired them up. Skimmer can be offline longer so that is the route I went.

Pumps work fine. I just cleaned the return this past weekend after about 4 months of operation. Not too bad and maybe took 5 minutes if that. Pretty easy.

Planning on joining the club with a SVS3-30 or 36 .
What pumps do you guys use on the 30 or 36 ?
I was thinking of jebao DCP 10000 or may be the Fluval sp4 .

Regards,
Abhishek

Planning on joining the club with a SVS3-30 or 36 .
What pumps do you guys use on the 30 or 36 ?
I was thinking of jebao DCP 10000 or may be the Fluval sp4 .

Regards,
Abhishek

Are you going with the standard Venturi? If so a jebao 8-10k will be fine, same for the sp-4. If your getting the mazzei then I would do something pressure rated like an iwaki.

Are you going with the standard Venturi? If so a jebao 8-10k will be fine, same for the sp-4. If your getting the mazzei then I would do something pressure rated like an iwaki.

Thanks a ton !! I want the mazzei but can't do pressure rated as it will be in sump .
I checked with Jeff and he said mag 18 .So I thought pressure rated isnor important .

Regards,
Abhishek

Thanks a ton !! I want the mazzei but can't do pressure rated as it will be in sump .

I checked with Jeff and he said mag 18 .So I thought pressure rated isnor important .

Regards,

Abhishek

Yup sounds about right as the maximum air injection occurs around 1650gph according to Jeff for the standard Venturi. So either the fluval sp4, mag 18, or jebao 8-10k will work beautifully. Personally though I would never run a mag drive again as it may be reliable but it sounds like a jet engine lol. I'm not sure how loud the sp4 is but larger ac pumps are not known for being quiet lol. For reference the Jebao 8000 I run on my 24" achieves my goal of ensuring the Venturi and not the pump is the loudest part of the skimmer while maintaining excellent skimming.

I’m currently running the mazzei venturi on my 30” Lifereef. I started with the stock venturi, and I’ve found that the mazzei seems to skim a bit better.

I’m powering this rig with a Mag 18 pump in sump. The first one I had intermittently made a rattling noise, so I tried another one. This one has been much better, it makes a soft hum that’s barely noticeable.

I also use a Cor 15 for my return :) It wasn't my intent but I was reading some threads on the Neptune forums and someone said they used the same pump for skimmer and return. That way if the return pump failed they could just swap out the skimmers pump with the return and be back operational in no time provided plumbed correctly. I thought that made a lot of sense so paired them up. Skimmer can be offline longer so that is the route I went.

Pumps work fine. I just cleaned the return this past weekend after about 4 months of operation. Not too bad and maybe took 5 minutes if that. Pretty easy.

I was thinking along those lines as well, but considering pre-plumbing a Jebao in case the Cor -15 went down. Decisions!

I need a little help with my new (used) Lifereef skimmer. I have the valve turned all the way off that usually determines the bubble height (the red one) and the skimate is still too wet.

What is the yellow/greenish valve for? I know it controls the air coming back in. If I turn that will it adjust the skimate?

The guy I bought it from was getting a bigger one & said I shouldn't have to adjust that yellow valve. So I haven't messed with it.

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
I need a little help with my new (used) Lifereef skimmer. I have the valve turned all the way off that usually determines the bubble height (the red one) and the skimate is still too wet.

What is the yellow/greenish valve for? I know it controls the air coming back in. If I turn that will it adjust the skimate?

The guy I bought it from was getting a bigger one & said I shouldn't have to adjust that yellow valve. So I haven't messed with it.

Thx

Previous reply is right, the yellow valve is just to clean the venturi if, and when needed.
What is the water height in the sump? That could be playing a role. check Lifereef web page to get correct heights. Any additives that might be causing it? Maybe you just need to let it run for awhile. Good luck.

Back