ASM Skimmer Club!

If you guys running g4 and larger skimmers want to make a real beast, instead of a recirc pump just add another sedra 5000 and port the volutes. The body is big enough to handle the extra water, and the neck is good till about 45 scfh. You shouldn't get any micros exiting the skimmer either. You may have to cut the exit pipe down to lower the water level down to the bottom of the cone transition. It's hard to beat an ASM with multiple pumps. I've done this on g4,5 and 6 skimmers.

Personally my favorite mod is the gravity feed. Every drop of water that leaves the DT has to go through the skimmer first THEN to the other filters, reactors, fuge in the sump. The overflow is plumbed directly into the skimmer's reaction chamber.

For a gravity feed, recirculating skimmer, the experts recommend 1.5x system volume per hour. For example: my system is ~70 gallons, 1.5 x 70 = 105, so the ideal would be 105 gallons per hour. The low flow through rate is so the water has plenty of time to be stripped of DOCs before leaving the skimmer.

I would think gravity feed would be problematic without also doing the recirculating mod? Too much flow thru the unit. Could not get the recirculating to work on my G4+.

had the same problem with my recirc mod, ended up plugging the holes on my G4xx. IMO best mods for ASM skimmers are gate valve and impeller mesh mod. Did a bubble plate mod but not sure if it helped ;)

ASM G2 Skimmer

using it on my 185 build here on RC

I bought one used
it worked great for about a week, plumbed in outside fresh air to help with the skimming
it bubbles like mad, but I get no skimmate
how do I tune this unit please

thanks in advance

Gate valve mod will allow you to better adjust it

ASM G2 Skimmer

using it on my 185 build here on RC

I bought one used
it worked great for about a week, plumbed in outside fresh air to help with the skimming
it bubbles like mad, but I get no skimmate
how do I tune this unit please

thanks in advance

Pics would help

Years ago I had a g3 and the oem pump/Venturi weren't very efficient at creating bubbles. Very light on bubble production I would say

You issue could be from a clogged Venturi/air intake

Like stated a gate valve mod really helps tune ability..... I also had better luck upgrading the pump and/or going recirc

Can I get a pic or link for this mod. I have a g4.

Well, it's not a 'mod' in the traditional sense, rather an aftermarket piece of equipment you can buy as an add on. I bought the avast marine swabbie, but am sure there are other options too.

I just found a used G2 and I plan to gate mod it and get it a new pump. What are your suggestions.
I like quiet. maybe a Sicce? If so which one but am open to others too.
Thanks.
It will be in a 90G

The gate valve is 1 1/4 correct? I don't have it in front of me.

Last edited:
I don't knowabout the size for your gate valve as I have a G3, but my tank is in my living room and because I'm married, the tank can't make any noise. I do have a muffler on my air intake though.

Muffler? Piece if foam?
I like it quiet too as it is next to the couch and tv.
I hear the Sicce's are quiet and thinking if one of them.
One is 1000 or the 2500.
The Tunze hydrofoamer looks even quieter but might be too powerful for a g2.

Last edited:
Back